I need lighting advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kerbob16, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I recently purchased a 50 watt fluorescent strip light and installed it into my grow box. The grow box is 37"H, 22"W and 14"D. The light looks fantastic in there and im pretty sure its good enough for vegitative growth, but im not possitive it will be good enough for flowering so i need some expert advice.

So can 2, 50 watt fluorescent strip lights be powerfull enough to produce some nice buds? or will my plant be week..

2. Probably not. You need to tell us more about this "strip light". If you have the brand and model number you probably can find a link to post here. We'll need to know what kind of fluoro, what spectrum/color temp of the bulbs, lumen output, etc.

3. What he said...

4. sorry guys lol.

Its a 19" Illume Xenon plug-in linear

The colour temperature is Warm

It has a 5000 hour life

The box doesnt show the amount of lumens.

Tomorrow im purchasing a second one of these so il have 100 watts all together. And by the way this is for only 1 plant.

5. so, if i understand right, you're trying to grow in a rubbermaid tub with 2 fluorescent light strips on the inside of the lid? this is almost exactly what i was trying to do. I havent ever grown so im afraid i cant offer any advice, but ill keep posted on what people do say. If the fluorescents are too weak, is there any type of MH of HPS lights that have a low profile, strip like form that come with a simple built in ballast/light combo system like some fluorescent strips?

6. lol what? nah i never mentioned a rubber made tub dude. im growing in a big shelf i just removed everything inside and now its perfect for a single plant.

7. 100w will work but i'd as much light as you can, CFLs are cheap and won't riase your electricity bill significantly, and are easy to setup (2 prong socket adapters are like $2 at HD/Lowes). 6500K (daylight) bulbs for veg, 2700K for flower. more light will get you bigger buds, if you can swing the cash picked up a HPS, even a 150w; plant will love it.

You won't find a HPS or MH with built in light/ballast.

8. If I'm not mistaken the "warm" bulbs are 2700 K, for flowering...

Does it look kind of orange when it's turned on?

Edit:

Approx. 2700K = Warm White (looks just like incandescent)
    Approx. 5000K = Cool White (white/blue, bright light)

9. yes it looks very orange when its turned on. its also very very bright :p

and thanks chris, i was actually thinking about purchasing a cfl or 2 when im flowering.