I need job advice

Discussion in 'General' started by ClownPrincess, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Hey everyone. I need some advice...

I finally got a steady, non-rip off job halfway through June! Hooray! However, I'm completely miserable here. My boss is an asshole, that much I know for a fact. Everyone told me that when I started working there. I agree with them.

However, we've been having a bunch of communciation problems he doesn't have with his other employees. This is my first office-style job, so in all honesty, on any given day of the week, I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing! I tell him to speak up because he talks too queitly, nothing's done.
    He tells me that he told me to do something but doesn't remember that he told me 'nevermind.'

A normal day goes like this:
    -Get to work. Check the time, clock in.
    -Get papers to be scanned prepared. Go scan them.
    -Give people rides.
    -File paperwork from the department below my floor.
    -Get bitched out by the boss for something that happened before I even worked there/because he didn't tell me what he wanted me to do with it, just 'do something with that stack of papers on your desk'
    -Get belittled by the boss for not being able to understand his convoluted filing system
    But between everything I do, I have to constantly stop and give people rides home/to work/wherever. So some days I get a lot of stuff done, other days I'm just giving people rides and have no time to do what I'm supposed to. He doesn't seem to understand this.

I'm not a very strong driver. Most of his employees have taken racecar driving classes, but they don't drive people. So if I'm going 5 over the speed limit, I'm driving too slow. And driving isn't a hard job, but I don't meet his expectations. Something he has never told me, but I'm very close to another employee down there and he's been sent on drives in my place if it needs to get done fast or something, and I heard it from him. I got lost on my first day because I don't have a GPS, and he's(boss man) told me he'll buy one but hasn't.

I was hired to be the driver. That's all. Now I have more responsibilites, which I'm okay with because I need all the extra money so I can move...However, my boss is constantly micromanaging certain things, which makes is really hard to get things done. I have a problem with the scanner at work. It constantly jams. He uses it for 20 minutes with no problems, so he turns to me and goes "I don't see why everyone has a problem with this scanner. I also don't see why they have to come get me when it's not working. It's called problem solving. It must be user error and you're doing it wrong." I just stand there awkwardly and agree with him.

He's had 3 people doing what I'm doing now, and all of them have had serious problems with his filing system. That tells me that it's him, and not me. He needs to do it himself if no one else can get it right...right?

He goes on to bitch me out that the filing system I just started this month isn't perfect yet, and that if it's not perfect next month that he's going to have to do -something- about it. Me feeling defenseless tells him that if we keep having these problems I'm just going to be the driver and nothing more.(I almost quit on the spot but I can't) He said that it'll happen next month if the system isn't flawless...I don't feel like this is fair. I used to work 7:30 to 11, go home until 3. Work until 5:30, then call it a day. But then he started sending me home at 9:30 to come back at 3:00...which means I get nothing done like I'm supposed to. Then he bitches at me for not being productive, but it's like most of the time I'm down there, I'm giving people rides when everyone else and their mothers are driving to work and school, so I don't make fantastic time in the mornings.

Needless to say, I'm beginning to look for another job...Now, I have the option to be the driver only, nothing more, but I can't decide what's better: Quitting all together and telling him to fuck himself (not actually going to do that) or be the part-time driver for them? I don't want to work for him, like, at all, ever...but I think it'll look good on my resume if I continue to drive. Plus I think it'll look bad if I just quit 3 months into the job, but I'm tired of being made to feel like shit because my boss can't make up his fucking mind.

I'd like to also add that he has never properly trained me to do anything. He shows me something once, and if I don't understand, he makes fun of me for it. I'm in an at-will state, which means my employment anywhere is at will and can be terminated by me or my boss at any time, for any reason including no reason at all...Which is shitty.

So what should I do? I'm not quitting until I have another job lined up, but every day I fear that he's going to say something that will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'll quit and make a huge mess of everything.

Also, I've been talking to the above-mentioned employee about this, and he doesn't think I should call and complain to OSHA but I feel like I should because I've been having issues with another employee down there, and he refuses to do anything about it.

2. Try and find what he likes and pick one, become his friend. It looks to me you could be happy at this job because you love a challenge don't you. You become his side kick and you run the show. I've been there before.

Sent from my N860 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. OSHA won't help you, that's safety hazards.

You need to remember youre an "at-will" employee, meaning he can fire you without any rhyme or reason.

That being said, suck it up, its just driving and filing papers, seems pretty intuitive