i need help with my set up

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AYDENS_DAD, Jan 18, 2009.

1. i just bought a phototron grow box and this is what im going to do with it so far i do not know what type of soil to use so could you guys gimmie some tips? also what nutrients or how to provide co2 to my plants for cheap . but what i do know is my lighting it has 3 spots for u-bend flourescents 40 watts each but i am also going to put a 60 watt cfl in the middle but for flowering i am thinking about a 150 watt hps because the box isnt that big that should be enough with the flouros going to right ? and how should i have my fan ?? please i need your feed back ive never growen indoors before

2. First off, you need to do some reading and research around this site. I would not worry about CO2 at this point. Concentrate on getting the basics down first. It sounds like your box is made for 3 CFLs. An additional bulb in the center would be fine for supplemental lighting, but your box may be too small for a HPS light. Get some decent soil, amend it with peat moss, vermiculite, etc. if you want, or just use it plain. Get the hang of watering, light adjustment, adding nutrients, etc. When you get a couple of grows under your belt, then worry about more complex things like adding CO2.

3. i was under the impression that co2 was a must ??

4. All the co2 you need for the time being is in the air. SUPPLEMENTAL co2 is another story. If your phototron has a vent system and a fan, you should be good for your first grow. See how your new grow chamber works. Read up on co2 supplementation here on these boards. After your first harvest, re-evaluate whether or not you need co2.
    There are a lot of growers here that are very successful without the use of co2, and there are the master craftsmen here that take it to a whole other level. They have invested the time and money(as much as a couple thousand dollars), to do it right.
    In my opinion, learn the fundamentals, and as your confidence builds, step up your game.
    Good luck and have fun..........chunkdaddyo

5. #5 ricard0, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
    No way. CO2 is only going to benefit already healthy plants. Good lighting, good temps, nutes, medium, PH (ie. the basics) are all far more important than CO2. Never substitute the basics for supplemental/advanced techniques. IMO.

CO2 is a must if you're a currently successful grower looking to add some extra weight and/or save some cycle time. I guess you could look at supplemental CO2 kind of like a Nitrous Oxide System. Yeah it's really powerful and effective when used correctly, but you already have to have a highly tuned car in order to handle it, or at least be worth it. Just my $.02

6. so what would you say about getting like a 5 lb co2 take and just giving it little burst throughout the day ??

7. #7 ricard0, Jan 18, 2009
    I'd say you'll still want a 20 lb. tank unless you just don't have the space for it. The tank itself and the size thereof aren't much of the cost.

In fact, the tank is practically free for a deposit and a signature, you just pay for the gas, not the pricey tank. <--- Thanks to Rumpleforeskin for that one.

Plus, until you know how efficiently your space uses the gas, you won't be able to determine your needs. So you'll need a CO2 controller for sure which is the bulk of the price tag on a CO2 system. A 20 lb. tank will also allow for expansion. That's just my opinion, but one i'm sure is shared by many.

8. #8 ricard0, Jan 18, 2009
    For a proper CO2 system you'll need the following:
    -Tank system-

- http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-Carbon-Diox...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

- http://cgi.ebay.com/HYDROFARM-co2-r...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

- http://cgi.ebay.com/20-LB-CO2-TANK-...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
    Although, like i said, you don't need to actually buy the tank, you'll just still need one.

-Generator-
    You'll still need a set-point controller

and - http://cgi.ebay.com/HYDROGEN-WATER-...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

- Plus a gas tank for the propane/other.

DISCLAIMER: These are just examples of the items you'll need and not necessarily the actual items you have to buy.

9. Hey.

Im growing in a phototron at the moment, i'll tell you what i have learned.

First off all forget about the HPS, the phototron will easily get 30-35 celsius with the floro lights.

Are you using the U-bend ones? is you are i would strongly recommend you buy the new ones from they're web page.
    Then you can fit up to 6 floros in there and it looks like thats all the light it needs. Ive bought the reflective hood shield from Phototron.com and that really helps alot on reflecting.
    Also cover all sides in mylar, even behind the floros, for better reflection.

Heres my thread:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/315297-phototron-grow-ak47-auto-grass-o-matic.html

Have a look at my box, and i would highly recommend you do the same with yours.

CLF is maybe an idea but you have to watch the heat and lenght from bulb to plant.
    What number of the phototrons are you running? how many lumens?

Im thinking about putting a fan in the reflective hood shield, blowing air down on the plant to get some ventilation.

Anyone have a better idea?

10. i have a phototron 2 i just checked and it wont take the new bulbs and nice box by the way and the only reason i was gonna use the hps was for maximum yeild when it comes to budding how do just the flouros do ??? and your last harvest with no fan what did you use for air circulation

11. #11 Byrgesen87, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/285176-ak47-x-lowryder-2-first-time-grow.html

Heres my entire first grow in the phototron so you deside if its ok :)
    I liked the buds and they worked, but keep in mind that i did some mistakes, i cut it to much at one point and was under watering it at another point and harvestet early, because i needed it to be ready for new years eve :)

But the new one is gonna be alot better, gonna post pics 2moro, and its growing with amazing speed.
    The mylar and the reflective hood shield is really helping .)

About thoose floros.
    You just need the right ballast from em, so you can put the newer floros in there.
    It should be easy to install the new ballast and floros by your self.

DON'T use HPS. They are way to close to the plant and will easyli burn it bad and destroy your harvest + the temp will be way to high with such a lamp.

12. holy shit i want that plant how long did that take just 65 day from seed to harvest ?? and how many oz did you get thta plant was beautiful i gott give you props and just one more questiondid you use the moss and nutrients from the phototron website

13. what are some opionions for led lights??? does anyone think i should add some to my setup i know their not needed but i found some for cheap

14. The plant was ready for harvest in 75 days.
    Same with the plant im doing right now hehe. Figured i only got room for one plant and i dont wanna wait half a year so lowryders is amazing for this machine :)

Yeh im using the moss and nutes from phototron, but my next grow will be in soil with better nutes.
    Hopefully that will be better.

About the LED's, how strong are they? are they ment for growing or are they just regular LED's?

15. yeah iam using soil and i was recomended dyna gro nutes??? but the led is ment for growing its just a small one though 13.8 watts and its a 225 but i got it for cheap

16. Thats a big one hehe. Ive got 30 small LED's think its 1,5 watts a pcs.
    Post a pic of it mate, coz it has to be a HUGE LED to have 13.8 watts hehe.

Well the nutes that come with the phototron looks to be pretty desend. My plants are happy and growing really nice, but i really dont know if you can use it with soil insted of the moss. It has to, coz moss and soil isnt that diff.

17. [​IMG]

it said it only covers 18 inches im hoping it will fit inside my tron

18. Don't work about getting a co2 tank with emitter or co2 burner, it will not benefit your plants in the phototorn! fluorocent lights don't emit enough light for your plants to be able to breakdown and use the extra c02 you give them. it is pointless. Co2 is crucial for your plants, if you get a 150hps then you can start adding more co2 to your room.:smoke:

19. #19 Byrgesen87, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
    Well i havent heárd any good things about thoose LED panels.
    But i havent ever seen one in action also :/
    Try it out, might do great with the floros. But does it fit in there?

20. i just got it today and to be honest im not very happy i cant grow yet but im tryen to get everything ready but no it doesnt fit it sits on the top nicely though and its going to be good for supplemental light but im going to put it on the side of the plant and rotate the plant then when it gets bigger and i bud im going to put it on the top