I need help with my grow box! (Ventilation)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mindrevolution, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Hey yall. I'm currently setting up a grow, and the only thing stopping me is figuring out how to set up a good ventilation system for my grow box :confused:. I'm not sure what kind of fans I need. I wanted to go with Pc case fans but idk if they would be strong enough because I need a carbon filter. The box is 3x1.5x2.5 (length x width x height)

1.) Stealth is important, so is passive intake with a carbon filter a good idea?

2.) Are there any QUIET fans (besides pc ones) that can power a carbon filter for this size box?

3.) How powerful should the fan(s) be? I know it's relative to the square footage of the box. Does anyone know the equation for figuring out how many cfm's are needed?

Here's a pic of the box so you have a general idea
    Imageshack - 1000679xn.jpg - Uploaded by mindrevolution

Thanks!

2. get a duct fan

3. I am in your same position, I would like to use powerful fans and try to silence them. Others have suggested getting bigger fans than you need and getting a speed controller to tone them down. Others have opted for expensive Panisonic fans. Good luck

4. Thanks for the quick answers. That speed controller sounds like a good idea. Anyone hear of these expensive Panasonic fans?

5. Did you ever decide on any particular fan(s)? If so, how were your results? A friend of mine is in a similar position with ventilation.

6. length x width x height = cubic feet of your enclosure

yours happens to be 11.25 cubic feet. air changes without a co2 implementation should occur every 1-5 minutes.

the proper CFM (cubic feet/minute) of your fan should be from around 11.25 to 56.25, so a centrifugal duct fan (AKA can fan) would be overkill.

I'm not sure if they make carbon filters for PC fans, but if they did it would be right up your alley.