I need help with monthly flushing soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kittengirl, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hi guys, I was wondering about monthly flushing? Will it help ? When I flush the plant my book recommends to use 3x the water to the growing medium. I have never done a flush to rid the soil of excess salt and plant wastes.This is my first grow.
    So after I flush and do a 1/2 strength nutrient can I add Ph up to adjust the Ph? Is this too much to do to the plant all at once? I'm considering doing this because my Ph is about 5.8,can this Ph cause nute lockout? I think she's suffering some deficiency but I'm not sure what it is or what I should do to remedy it?I NEED YOUR HELP.I don't wanna end up killing my baby!:confused:

2. #2 Buffalo11024, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    6-6.5 is where I run. I don't use grow nutes and only use 1/3 strength nutes in bloom at the most. One flush at the end. Excess salts are a result of overfertilization with chemical nutes. Young plants only take in what they can use and it builds in the soil.

3. I don't think I've ever heard of monthly flushing, although my experience is quite limited.

Is the plant unhealthy looking? If the ph is low I don't see why you'd need to flush before adding some PH adjusted water. Pictures, or at the least a fairly detailed explanation of your setup/medium and nutrwents would help the people more intelligent then me give you advice

4. No need to flush monthly. When to flush:

1) when switching from veg nutes to flower nutes.
    2) couple of weeks before harvest.
    3) any time you suspect a pH or nute problem.

5. http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1162476-whats-wrong-with-my-plant.html So can nute-lockout happen at 5.8ph? When I add some Ph up with it remedy the problem?or is a nutrient deficiency? . I'm growing my 4 & a half mother plant in Schultz potting soil with 6month slow release nutrients and a third of vermiculite (thos. I don't feed it extra nutrients yet except worm casting tea once.The link will show you what's going what's happening to a couple leafs.I've read up on these nutrient deficiencies but can't figure out what it could be???

6. #6 kittengirl, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    I do think I have a Ph or nute probllem. But my mans saying I'm gonna kill her if I flush the soil?I've never done this to my mother before.And she's in a 5gal pail so I need to flush 3x more meaning 15gal is that too much?take a look at the pics on the link - back I posted.what could cause this? :(

7. Use 3x normal watering amount not 3x gal of pot size lol, run a like 3 gallons not 15...
    And don't flush monthly or you're likely to start overwatering. Point of a flush is to get all the nutes out of the bud so you aren't smoking plant food-no point to flush the plants food while the plants still growing.. Make sense?

8. Actually, for a proper flush it is actually recommended that you use 3x the amount of water as pot size. I am currently doing my pre-harvest flushing on my plants which are in 5 gallon pots. Its a pain to put 15 gallons through each one, but i notice a big difference.....it takes the full 15 gallons for the water to run clear, indicating all the built up nutrient salts have been removed.

9. I'm in veg still but thought it might help a Ph or nute problem? Or should I just add Ph up my Ph is 5.8.

10. Are you growing in soil, or soil-less? I use Promix (soil-less) and 5.8 is perfect......even in soil, you are only a little bit low and I don't see the need for a full flush. Next watering, just adjust your water to be a litter higher in pH than normal.

Another great trick is to add some dolomite lime to your soil.....top dress and work into the soil, and then water. This will also help bring your pH up a bit while adding calcium to your plants.