I need help with lighting set up

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Nrezen8, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Hey All, this is my first post and first real grow. Like I said I need help with lighting. I really just don't understand how to tell if what I'm thinking is going to be enough.

I'm just starting with one plant. Growing in the dirt. As far as lights go, all I have are 5 (normal house) lamps or lamps that fit that kind of bulb. Oh and very limited funds.

So here's the thing... I was thinking of using CFL's and LST to make the most of my lights. The thing I'm having trouble with is choosing the best bulbs for the 5 lamps I have. I looked on walmart's website and the highest watt I found was, "CFL Light Bulb: 42 Watt (150W Equiv)". So I'm guessing this is my best bet without spending a lot on a new set up.

My question is: Is that going to be good? The website
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684723#Features+&+Specifications didn't have information on the type of light (red, blue, white, daylight...). So I really have no clue if these will work. Please take a look at these and let me know if 5 of these are going give enough of the right kind of light to make my plant happy? Maybe not 100% but close enough.

Also if there are better bulbs I can get for around the same price what should I get? I'm not set on CFL's. I just figured that would be the only thing I can use in these lamps.

I'm just attaching 2 pics of some of the lamps and my grow pot for better understanding if needed. I'm looking forward to getting started asap. Any help will be welcomed. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. I dunno how much i can contribute but I know this much... the lighting needs to be around 6500K since this is where the equivalent to daylight is. Amount of watts per plant i believe is 100 so 5x150 = 750 watts total power. You should be good for maybe 2 or 3 plants with that much light.

3. You're using the equivalent watts. You need to look at the actual watts which is 42. 42x5=210 watts. With CFL you want 100 watts for your first plant, and 50-100 watts for every plant after that, so you could get away with 3 plants, but 2 would be more comfortable.

I took a look at the link and I couldn't find anything to help figure out the spectrum either. If you are going to order online maybe you should look at 1000bulbs.com CFL section and get exactly what you want. If you go into the store, you'll be able to see the spectrum on the packaging tho. They probably didn't think it was important enough to add to the online stores description.

4. I know how exciting it is, but remember that growing is a game of patience. Take your time, get yourself setup right, and make sure you have all your basics covered. No sense in rushing for something that's going to take a couple monthes to complete anyway :D

5. Thanks guys. Being that (as far as watts go) I will have more then enough watts for one plant, do you think it will grow faster? I'm thinking of lighting 24/7. What do you think? Sound like a good idea for my set up?

Also if I fem or top will lighting 24/7 effect that any way?:D

6. 5x 42w Daylight cfls 6500k will be plenty for 1 plant as every1 has said.
    24/7 will also be fine for veg growth just know that come flowering your gonna want to switch out your 6500k daylight cfls for 2700k soft white cfls and switch the light schedule to 12 hours light 12 hours dark aka 12/12.
    Your also gonna want a 3-5 gallon pot as ur final pot.

happy smokin:bongin: