I need help with hydroponics nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Wreckleader, Oct 24, 2018.

1. I'm kinda new to growing I've done 3 grows I just can't figure out what nutrients I should use the only thing that I've been using is clonex for the roots I have a recurculating dwc setuo

2. Just whatever your budget can afford, honestly. I'm new myself. Started DWC with one bucket and used Technaflora's Recipe for Success then swapped over to CYCO mid grow.
    Cyco performs better in veg, but for flower I have nothing to compare it to.
    People get away with the cheapest powdered nutes as well.

What have you used so far?

3. You said you've done 3 grows. What nutrients did you use for those 3 grows?

As far as nutrients to use....wow, take your pick. There's like a gang of brands out there and each claiming they're the best to blow your sh*t up lol. I've been growing in DWC for over 3 years now and the ones I personally like (and use) are from House & Garden (main), some from Advanced Nutrients and some Orca.

4. These are the best I have tried ..
    [​IMG]

5. The main consideration for me is calcium. Some brands like Maxi and Dyna have the calcium already in the grow and bloom. Others like Jacks keep the calcium separate. I don't like to get into a situation where I have to add more nute just to get more calcium.
    If cost is not an issue check out the dyna-gro cannabis feed chart for recirculating. It requires 4 bottles not including ph down.
    Feed Chart - Dyna-Gro

6. MaxiBloom, FloraNova Bloom, or Flora Micro/Flora Bloom are all simple and will work. Good luck and welcome to GC. :)

7. The simplest thing to use is Megacrop from Greenleaf Nutrients.
    One part, solid nute from sprout to harvest with no need for calmag, bloom nutes, or anything else whatsoever, except pH up/dn.
    That's what I'm doing right now, but for the first time.

My strong opinion is that all nutes are pretty much the same, so do what's easiest.
    And that all those supplements sold increase the nute pushers' bottom lines much more than our quality/yields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. agree, all the same, they all use the same ingredients. Nitrogen is slightly different based on amoniacal something, anyway, I notice some difference in N between brands. But I fail to see how one for all simplicity is better than a grow with high N when the plant needs it and then a flower with low n high P when the plant needs that.

9. another consideration is liquid or powder. Powder saves shipping cost of water, but I like liquid for fine tuning small amounts 1 ml at a time. I don't trust teaspoons less than 1/4 to be an even mix. And sometimes for me 1/4 teaspoon is too big an interval. In larger amounts you can weigh, so compare what you like doing more, weighing or dropping. To be honest, for me the biggest factor is ph. I could never get the Maxibloom at the right ph since it made my water really low. I mixed up the dyna according to their exact recipe and it came out 6.0 and that was the deal maker.
    I've been using the foliagepro/protek t since I was back in soil. Can't shake me off that one. I could never get the dyna bloom to work for me until I did it their way, then it works (and costs) and you need good lights and good hydro to use up all they say I need. When I was growing under Blackdog I had to use even more than they say I should. I'm old school, never add more than 1 teaspoon of anything to a gallon, but times have changed because I'm at twice that now.
    I just spent a whole hour trying to get a gallon of tap water to 6.0. There's got to be a better way. Not all drops of ph down are equal or my tap has a wide varience or my Bluelab ph pen has a mind all it's own. The only thing that has saved it from my bad temper is the cost.

10. I agree that it's scary to not do what the vast majority of the grow community does, which is to use different nutes at different life stages.
    Greenleaf claims that the plants know how to eat exactly what elements they want from the same exact nutes at all life stages. That certainly seems to be the case for plants in the wild.
    The only way we will know whether that's correct is to try it and see.

The simpler growing can be made to be, the more people might try it, which could hasten legalization everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. #11 Talkative, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Except a cannabis plant will keep absorbing N even if it doesn't need it. And also uses about 80% of the N it needs in the first 30 days. The added P for bloom is still debateable. Autos further blur the line between veg and flower. I'm pretty sure I could grow ok with a tub of Jacks and some Magical and it has saved my ass many times. In the wild, plants consume all the nitrogen near the roots and then it's gone and they don't need it. If you dump more on they will try to eat it. Excuse my botanical French.

12. All your concerns are shared by the MJ community, but a community growing illegal things won't always get everything right, due to the lack of, and difficulty of exchanging scientific info. Following horticulturist advice for generic plants is probably superior to following questionable MJ grower advice from non-scientific sources.

Whether a single nute will produce an excellent crop is not something that logic can decide.
    Only trial and error can do that.

13. #13 Talkative, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    I expect great things from California where finally a grower can try many things. When I started with coco I had to learn nutes and got a foundation from the Harley Smith Plant Nutrition youtube videos and he got much of his info from commercial non pot super high tech growers in the Netherlands where many fungacides were outlawed so they were forced to study just what a plant really needs.