I need help in deciding between a full ride or the airforce

Discussion in 'General' started by ArbitraryAurora, Apr 9, 2017.

?

Airforce or Full ride NYC scholarship

1. Airforce

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Scholarship

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Hi, I'm a senior in high school and I'm torn between accepting a full ride to a college in New York City or if I should join the airforce. The scholarship would include full tuition and half of room and board. And then the Airforce is, well, the airforce. My parents are struggling a little right now financially so they desperately want me to join the airforce and have everything paid for including college, along with a pay check and all the insurance benefits. But I want to go to college in NYC and not get ordered around for 4 years. I'd only have to pay for half of housing and other living expenses like a phone plan, the room and board includes food, wifi, tv, and everything else an apartment needs. So I'd really like everyone's opnion on this, and thank you in advance.

2. Do what YOU want to do...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sounds like you've made YOUR mind up on YOUR future. Mom and Dad will love you anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. As a cursory evaluation, you sound like taking the Air Force option would be good for you.

I'm an officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force, I signed up after completing a civilian university degree and my only regret is that I didn't join the military sooner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You came to a weed forum to ask this

Do you know that

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Yes, I feel like here we can be honest

• Like Like x 1
  7. You just joined today, thou-, you know what, nevermind.

Yes, we're all honest here, and honestly perhaps you should ask some real life friends.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. With the current administration, you think joining the military is a good idea? Also want to point out that the guy above is probably an officer who gets more pay and wont be treated nearly as shitty as an enlisted airman. Go to college. It's more fun and you wont be married in 3 years with a kid on the way.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Go to college. Most people don't get an opportunity like that, and you (presumably) worked hard to get a full ride scholarship, IMO you should at least give it a try before you throw that chance away. Why do you need the GI bill when you already have a full ride scholarship? It's not your job to support your parents, and it's not like you cannot get a job while you are in school. Plus if you don't like school, you always have the option to quit.

And like TRAINN mentioned, this isn't exactly the best political environment to enlisting in, especially for somebody who isn't gung-ho about the idea anyhow. You're 18, It's not like the military is going anywhere (though these political conflicts/wars might not be either) and you can always try enlisting in a few years if you change your mind after some more thought and life experience. Plus you might be able to go in at E-2 or E-3 if you get some college credits first. You could also try getting into ROTC if your school has it. IDK about the air force, but you can take the first two years of army ROTC without any military commitment, or apply for their leader's training course after two years, and then take the second two years of the program and go in as a second lieutenant with a three year commitment. That would give you two years to go to college and pursue what appears to be your true goal, better consider joining the military, and a chance to go in with much better pay, benefits, and job opportunities, and possibly more scholarship money if you take the advanced course (junior and senior).

But yeah, you gotta do you, my man :smoking: You can't put a price on doing what you want to do in life. Do what will make you happy, best of luck in it :smoke:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. jesbus is your real friend

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kill women and children in some 3rd world country, or spend four year sin New York with a paid scholarship and learning about life. I would go to college.

• Like Like x 4
  12. tuuuuuuffffffffffffffff call LMAO

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Thank you all so much, I'm most likely going to go to college in NYC.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What school is it in NYC? I'm from New York so I could probably offer some insight

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  15. Berkeley!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Berkeley is in a great spot in Manhattan! Really great location and nothing in the world beats NYC let me tell you. Do what you think is right. Good luck with your decision and coming here was a good idea there are a lot of great people here that are always offering their help. Let us know how it goes man!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  17. For sure! Thank you again so much, I really do appreciate everything! I'll let you know when I'm there and how it goes. Good luck everyone and thanks once again!

• Like Like x 2
  18. This is a good point, I forgot things are different in the states. Here in Canada if you join under the recruit officer training plan or through the royal military college, you start your career as an officer. I definitely wouldn't advise joining as an enlisted man if you have an opportunity to go to school on a scholarship. This shouldn't even be a question, definitely go to school in New York.

• Like Like x 2