I need help building my grow room PLEASE

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mrlyjammn420, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ok i am going to be doing a dwc hydro 400w hps grow. I am looking to grow any where from 2-6 plants at most. I am wondering what would the most optimal sized room for 400w hps. I will configure my ventilation later. I am willing to spend about 100-200 on ventilation and i also have a 800 cfm duct booster fan right now. Also i am going to be constructing my own homemade cool tube for the bulb but am not sure on what i need to do with that. any suggestions will be appreciated THANKS GUYS!:D

2. Anyone???? Please i am in need of help!

3. #3 sunnysidefarm, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
    I use a 400w 6 tube t-5 flourecent fixture for my 5X5 grow room. and a 400w HPS for my4X5 bloom room.
    Your fan at 800cfm is OK. You will need to ventilate, a fresh air intake to provide clean CO2 (around400ppm in nature) rich air into your room.

4. thanks man but i am mainly looking on HOW to build it. What size and all that good stuff

5. Don't have a closet? You want to build a grow tent or free standing "room" then?

Easier and cheaper to retrofit a closet. Other one you'll need to be vaguely familiar with how to build a square... and add 45 deg braces... rent a couple power tools and you're good.

I mean you're asking for everything .... do some creative thinking, reading, exploring before you just look for the hand out.

6. OH! how to build it?

I used wood and nails

hope this helps

7. Actually no your sarcastic remarks are not helping nor appreciated. Being a new poster at grasscity i reccommend you dont give people smart ass replies because you wont last very long here.

8. i do have a walkin closet but i cant put any holes in the door or walls because i have live in an apartment so i cant go ruining stuff unless i want to replace it when i move out which i dont. i am just looking on a decent plan that will be air tight and light proof. i am handy but my last box was poorly made because the guy at lowes cut my wood wrong.

9. You can buy a metal office-like cabinet from Staples or wood or laminate cabinet from Lowes or Home Depot - for $100- 250 and then retro fit. Naturally, you will have to drill holes for ventilation and to bring in electrical. I used metal because my operation is stealth and it fit better into my work area -- looks like a tool chest. They come in all sizes. I found that 6'x4' works well.

10. #10 sunnysidefarm, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
    That was my second post, you need to be more specific. I thought I was helping.

And I did actually use wood and nails!!

CHILL OUT, and take a toke man!

11. To all I have offended, especially Mrlyjammn420, I apologise for my blunt and off the cuff remark. This has been bothering me for some time now and just needed to get it off my chest, SORRY BROTHERS

12. #12 coffeeandherpes, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
    Hey I used wood and nails too! And a bit of wood glue :D I lol'd :hello:

Mrlyjammn420, I was in the same boat as you as far as a cab in a closet goes. My closet has a little 'pocket' that I wanted to build a cab to fit in. I had absolutely zero experience building stuff, so I ended up spending more than I would have liked, but now I'm really happy with my result.

First, measure the area you want to put your cab in. Once you get those measurements, I'd check places like Target, Ikea, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Craigslist, etc, to see if you can find a pre-built cab that fits your requirements. I didn't find one for myself, so I started drawing.

:smoking:

Well I'm not very good at explaining things, so I'll walk you through what my thought process was like while I was building my cab.

Okay so now you have your space measurements. Now you have to figure out what you want. I wanted a 3 chamber cab - two verticle chambers for veg and flowering (flowering chamber is a bit wider), and a horizontal chamber on top for equipment.

My goal with this was to have 2 plants flowering and 2 plants vegging at all times. It would also allow me to split the veg cab in the future so I could have an area for mothers and clones.:bongin:

So I drew up a cab. It's pretty much a square, with one large chamber on top, then a board in the middle, underneath the top cab, making the veg and flowering chambers. Click the link in my sig to see a pic.

My first build was a complete disaster. I went to Home Depot with the specs for the sheets of plywood that I would need, they cut them up (which was awesome! I just handed the dude a sheet of paper, we loaded up a cart, and a few minutes later I had my stuff), and I took them home. When I got home I started building, and what resulted was all lop-sided and just painful to look at. The reason was I had no way to make 90 degree connections.

I made a new plan. This time, I would use 2x4's to build a frame, then get sheets of plywood cut and just nail them in on the frame. This worked out really, really well. My cab is all square and stuff now. :hello:

Hmm, I seem to have lost my train of thought a few times while I've been typing this out. :smoking:. The jist of it is, take your measurements, draw out a cab (as my dad used to tell me when we were running wires - measure twice, cut once), take your specs to a place like Home Depot or Lowes, get your lumber cut, and put that shit together! I'd suggest wood and nails ;)

I hope this helps, if you want to see what my cab came out looking like, click the link in my sig. If you have any specific questions regarding my construction feel free to ask! I'm a bit of a scatter-brain, so an overture will end up going in 8 different directions. Be specific with your questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

And most importantly, have fun!! :D

EDIT: Two things I *really* like about my cab - wheels and doors on both sides. This way, I can easily move it outside of my closet and open both sides of the cab, giving me lots of room to work on stuff inside the cab.

EDIT2: Here's a paint thing showing the basics of my cab. It's a bit sloppy, but cut me some slack, I got home from a New Year's party not too long ago. Happy New Year!

[​IMG]
    I freakin love MS Paint.

13. #13 sunnysidefarm, Jan 1, 2009
    Checked your posts, Awesome job !!:hello:

I have actually never done a closet grow. I have always had plenty of room.

That has to be one of, if not the best do-it-yourself projects I have seen.

My AK

Attached Files:

14. OOPs, not recent crop.
    Last month crop:

Attached Files:

15. #15 Don Piano, Jan 1, 2009
    OK. You live in an apartment. You can still cut holes in drywall. Cut the holes, and save the "cookies" (what i call them) and you caqn fix it when your done with some drywall tape, mud, and some paint (i guess dont forget the sandpaper). Easily done. I rented a house and used a bathroom. I vented into the bedroom and took out the exhaust fan for the bathroom and put a splice connector on the ducting and ran it to the floor for fresh air. anyway.. I had to cut a hole in the bathroom wall and the bedroom wall to affix the exhaust. I saved the pieces of drywall and put them back when I was done. no one ever knew. You can do it too. use the walk-in. It will be the easiest to outfit like someone else said.