I need filter ideas.

Discussion in 'General' started by xcraighebert, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Im attempting to strain the liquid im working with, using a strainer and filter but then I realize,
    I have no coffee filters! What else could I use to filter my liquid besides a coffee filter?

2. Old T shirt?

3. got ne girls in the house?? nylon works great in a pinch...ive used it as a tea strainer b4..worked pretty great

4. Well that really depends on what the particle measurement of the element you're trying to filter from the liquid is. I can make some logical guesses as to the liquid you're wanting to filter. But only because I've been into chemistry for a long long time. In any of my thoughts a shirt nor nylons will work. 3-6 stacked paper towels will work depending on your particle size again experiment to find the right number, but use them carefully as they are prone to falling through, so if you go that route do it in small amounts of fluid to keep the weight down.. Nylon such as windbreaker coats are made of or sports bomber coats make perfect reusable filters. A sock turned inside out and stuck in another sock can work but you lose some of what your filtering due to the thickness of the material. It gets bound up in the cotton and unfortunately there's no way to reclaim it. Other than items made to be filters not much else will cut it..