i must be stupid

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MrMac, Apr 27, 2010.

1. either i'm just an idiot or something.. i decided to add nutes to my plant after 3 weeks(actually over 3 weeks). its growth rate has slowed down a LOT lately. i havent put much light on this one(42w), dont have the cash or space to put in like 150 watts. so just two days ago i added nutes at 1/4 strength(maybe half strength im not so sure exactly the directions werent so clear) and awoke to THIS
    [​IMG]

it seems as if im killing it, is that the case? ive already flushed it and i refuse to add those nutes until it gets bigger now. i was actually contemplating going out and getting fox farm soil so i wouldnt have to worry about this.
    ideas?

2. Nute burn. What kind of soil/medium is that? You can never go wrong using foxfarms soil. Always start with less than the recommended dose of nutes and then slowly build up. More lights are needed too.

3. It doesn't look terrible. But that soil looks pretty crappy, alot of bark and no perlite...

Try transplanting to a larger container with better soil (water retention and drainage) , then give it a week and hit it again with some very low strength nutrients.

Good luck !

4. its miracle gro organic, maybe i should just take the hour long drive to go get a bag of ocean forest.

5. #5 Antigen, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010

I would recommend going to get the soil. While you're out there (at a grow store I assume) be sure to get some pH UP and pH DOWN, as well as a pH meter or the water test drops (the water test drops are only like $7). I know you say you don't have a lot of money but if you don't have a way to measure and adjust the pH of your water eventually you are going to have problems.

Also as others have said you are going to need more light. Those CFL bulbs don't cost very much, neither do 4' fluorescent tubes and I know at Home Depot you can get the ballast/fixture part (it holds 2 40 watt bulbs) for under $10.

And what nutes are you using? What is the NPK (the 3 numbers)?

6. i guess i could go out and get ph stuff.. i was thinking more of getting a cheap electrical strip and getting the plugin lightbulb outlets and put some magnets on the back of the electrical strip that way i can go up and down the case with no problemsitd be cleaner too.. less wires.

its MG tomato plant food 18-18-21. i dumbed it down a bit to either half or quarter strength though. i cant get foxfarm stuff around here, its like an hour drive.

7. However you end up doing your lights, just make sure they are secure enough that they don't fall on your plants and break them! If you're using magnets make sure they are good and strong. It sounds good the way you are making it nice and mobile so you can move it up as the plants grow up. With the CFLs you'll want to keep them really close to the plants, like only a couple inches away.

Also is that food something that you mix with the water when you water them? It would probably be an OK fertilizer for the growing phase if it is all you can get. Once you get to the budding phase, however, you are going to want a fertilizer that doesn't have so much nitrogen and has more phosphorous and potassium.

8. yeah i mixed 1/4 tablespoons of the stuff in 2 quarts of water. that might be only a half mix.. damnit. it is designed to go into the watering cans though, yes. its started on 12/12 so i dont know when its gonna decide to start budding(if it IS a female.. it better be..)

9. You should start to see some male or female parts forming in about 2 weeks or so, it is different for each strain.

I would not use that fertilizer during the budding phase however, it has too much nitrogen in it. If you're planning on making the trip to get all the other stuff you need, get a good Bloom fertilizer that is meant for the flowering phase.

Also you'll want to get down exactly how strong of a mix of ferts you're making. :) 2 quarts is only a half-gallon, and those ferts usually measure by how much per gallon.

10. Get some different soil STAT!!!
    The bark pieces in the soil will keep your soil in an acidic state. I made the same mistake and had to transplant my seedling 3 times by the time it was the size of yours.

My Ph was F'd up bad.

Get new soil. You need to be able to test the Ph of the water you are using, the soil, and the runoff if possible. I got the liquid test kit for $5 at Home depot to test the water in and out. I bought a soil Ph meter there also for $7 to test soil.
    Saved my baby.