I messed up my computer, hard.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Nike is Cool, Dec 17, 2011.

1. I installed Ubuntu and had a blast with it for about a week, I proceeded to delete the partition for it (along with another partition). Everything was fine until about 3 days ago when I turned my computer on and I was given the standard grub rescue screen (having to do with the MBR).
    I searched on google and found about 50 different solutions with no luck. One thing that my problem does not have in common with any of the other problems is that even when I put my windows 7 os disc in, it will not allow me to run it at all. It says press any key to boot from cd rom blah blah blah and before I touch anything it says "press any key to boot from cd rom drive.....error: no partition found". I also reinstalled Ubuntu to see if it would fix the MBR with no luck. what should I do?

tl;dr: Installed linux, deleted partition, grub rescue, insert W7 os disc, doesn't work.

2. ...you deleted the partition for ubuntu?

3. [quote name='"mushroomsatsuji"']...you deleted the partition for ubuntu?[/quote]

Exactly

4. Whats on your computer then?

5. #5 Zylark, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
    Do a BIOS reset. On your motherboard there should be a few pins somewhere that you can short-circuit to reset the BIOS. Just find the documentation and figure out which ones. Just remember to unplug the PC from all mains first. And that includes anything hooked up to it, like say displays or external hard-drives.

Failing that, whilst still entirely unplugged from the mains, remove the battery on the motherboard, wait a few minutes and then reinsert it.

Ideally you should get factory standards from either operation, and thus be able to boot from DVD to reinstall Windows.

6. I was dual booting with windows 7

7. #7 BackPack1122, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
    Bios has nothing to do with this IMO, it sounds like grub is starting before your windows boot loader. Since grub is starting and there is no linux partition for it to start, it will just sit there or give you errors. Look up on google how to make the windows boot loader start before grub and be the default boot loader. You will most likely have to use the Ubuntu live disk to accomplish this. You may have to search for how to uninstall grub

8. dont you fucking hate that when you can't find anybody with the exact same specific problem you have :(
    sorry bro thats all the input I got hahaha..
    posted from ubuntu just saying cus it felt a little appropriate

9. To open the System Recovery Options menu on your computer
    Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

You are looking for Startup Repair

10. [quote name='"kNewc"']Bios has nothing to do with this IMO, it sounds like grub is starting before your windows boot loader. Since grub is starting and there is no linux partition for it to start, it will just sit there or give you errors. Look up on google how to make the windows boot loader start before grub and be the default boot loader. You will most likely have to use the Ubuntu live disk to accomplish this. You may have to search for how to uninstall grub[/quote]

Grub works fine without any linux partitions.

11. If I remember correctly, the best idea is to install Windows and then Ubuntu so that Windows is the primary partition.
    Is this what you did? Because Windows doesn't like it when it's not the king of the hard drive.

12. Update: I made a windows recovery disc and put it in, it booted up and said windows loading files, it loaded the bar twice and then turned to a blank screen. I left it on for over 2 hours and nothing has changed!

13. Do you mind posting your boot script?