I may be kicking my dad out of my life...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by iregisor, Aug 16, 2011.

1. #1 iregisor, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    i need to vent, if you don't want to read then don't.

Well, basically today has sucked....actually the past few weeks have sucked.

Let me start it out with a quick summary though.

I was raised by my dad until I was 16 (parents divorced when I was 3, were still friends though so I had both of my parents + step parents in my life since I can remember). At 16 we had basically had enough of each other and I moved in with my mom. Since I was 10 my dad and I have basically never had a good relationship. Definitely not your typical "father-son relationship" that's for damn sure. So these past 3 years have basically been a slow climb to get to a somewhat stable relationship, and it's been going good until about 3 weeks ago.

My dad is a pretty successful business owner( > 300k a year) and has always treated me like more of an employee than a son. We were getting closer this last year and with me being in web development, he wondered if I could help him with a few things and of course, I could and did. Later on I built a program of sorts for a huge client of his and everything had been going great.

I was getting paid $20 an hour for my web work and that transitioned when I started to construction shit for him. I worked Monday through Sunday, minimum 9-5 (most of the time it was more like 8:30-6:30). He doesn't pay overtime though, so anything past 40 hours was free, I still didn't bitch and came in early and left late everyday. Why? Because I was getting paid and I do enjoy working, and working hard. Plus it makes me valuable and honestly, I thought it'd make him proud (I was proud to say how hard I work at least).

Now my dad is looking through checks last week and signing them and now decides that I've been getting paid too much. Keep in mind I asked him before leaving my old job to come here what I was going to get paid (for the transition to construction instead of web) and he said he hadn't thought about it much yet so I left it (he's the type to just tell his secretary, etc and pay me, which I assumed happened). So now for the past 3 MONTHS i've been getting paid 800 a week before taxes, 620 after and everything has been fine until now.

So last week I don't get paid because he says I need to get paid less and needs to look at my past checks (a huge slap in my face considering I've literally given up most of a social life, family life, etc to work for him). He left at 3 that day, 2 hours before "closing" and 3-4 hours after him looking at the checks. I was the only employee to not get paid that day.

Now today he tells the secretary that I should be getting paid 15 an hour AND that I have to pay him back for all of the excess I got (around $1300-$1400). Now maybe it's just me, but him being a business owner should have realized that he never told anyone to drop my wage $5 an hour for the construction work and charging me for his mistake is complete bullshit. It isn't like I'm some spoiled kid coming into work and sitting on my ass. No, because I'm his son I have to do way more than any other person and any small mistake, etc results in me getting ripped to shreds by my father in front of all the other office / warehouse employees.

Keep in mind this guy owns a plane, new tricked out escalade (recliners w/ massage things built in, 4 tvs, ipad center console, etc, etc), maserati, etc and he's worrying about his son paying back his company $1300 because of his mistake?

I know this prolly doesn't seem like a big deal but it is to me. I left my old job to come here and work and now he's playing stupid games like he had when I was younger. I can't explain it because it's something you'd have to see to understand, but my dad had basically killed any type of self esteem, etc I had since I was young. Now I am a very confident person and I'm sick of this shit.

Tomorrow when he comes in, I'm going to talk to him and if he is going to pay me less then $500 a week after taxes AND / OR make me pay him back, I'm gone from his company and his life. He's already lost my older sister and my niece, most of his family, and multiple women in his life because of his ways, I've stuck around hoping something would change and it hasn't.

And I know this is a long read, but I just had to vent.

RESULT:
    Okay, well I went in today and told him we need to talk about my check situation. He laughed and said, you're right we do, it's bad, real bad. He then proceeds to tell me that I got over payed by 5 an hour and that we will have to "reconcile" it. I asked why would I have to pay for someone elses mistakes. He brought up a story about a client over paying him by 40k and him sending it back and I replied with "you don't think that's different than an employee situation?" and he responded "Get the fuck out"...

Now I'm home getting my portfolio ready to move to the next step in my life. I'm actually pretty excited.

2. In the long run, the grand scheme of things, this guy's doin you a favour. Stay and tough it out.

3. Seems like your father is a real dick man.

4. i feel you, i used to work for my bitch of a step-mom during the summer till about earlier this year, and she would lie to me and tell me she would pay me for the work, but she never did. Eventually i was like fuck that and got me an actual job.

The shit i was doing for her wasnt easy either, shes a self-employed CPA (Certified Public Accountant) so most of my work dealt with filing taxes for large companies and what not.

5. You see everything you just said here, tell it to him, this is what happens when you dont tell people that are close to you about how you feel
    If you want a peaceful resolution dont try to make it a cold deal, just tell him really with all this hardwork anything less than 500 isnt good enough. Hes your father dont break that bond man
    Good luck bro :)

6. That's the thing, we don't have that bond. We haven't had any type of bond since I was 8-9. Like legit, we road to tahoe together (2 1/2 hour drive) and said maybe 5 sentences to each other.

What favor? Employing me? I can get a job no problem, even in California, that will actually pay MORE and be in web development, what I actually enjoy doing.

7. dude. go get another job. i work for my mom and am looking at going to a tech school or something so i can find something else. its cool until something happens in your personal relationship, cause it ends up affecting everything in your life (stuff that relies on money, which is almost everything). plus you never get to leave the job at the job, most of your interactions end up being about the business somehow.

8. Sorry if this too blunt but he comes off as just another greedy prick.

9. @fenix he is. He's a fucking prick and all he's ever cared about is money & sex.

@bored that's what I'm planning. I'll be taking a week or two off while I setup my new portfolio, resume, etc and I'll be heading to San Francisco.

10. hell yeah, let him know!

11. If you have a problem, talk to him.

Don't just "tough it out"

12. I don't think that's legal

13. Oh trust me, it isn't.

And I don't plan on toughing it out, I did that for years and ended up leaving anyway, it definitely won't happen again.

And I can't like, "talk" to him like you can a normal parent. I'm going to speak my peace and leave. He's just going to get mad and defensive right away like he always does but I'm done with this shit.

14. It's hard burning bridges but sometimes it's for the best. And it sounds like your getting the shaft on this deal.

15. be strong dude. id do the same thing in your position

16. I agree, you need to sit down with him him and try to negotiate your position. But I don't feel there's a need to cut him out of your life.

Business is business, and Family is family. You both should understand this.

Good LUck :)

17. Many people have trouble working for one or both of their parents due to differences in opinion about business, hours of work, compensation, vacations and time off, etc. You would probably be much happier working somewhere else.

18. No way in hell can he legally make you pay him back. He really does sound like a prick. I would do the same thing man. Good luck finding a better job!

19. you're still getting paid fairly well and you have a job. Don't quit until you have a GOOD backup plan.

20. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihPOTDxMfE]10 crack commandments biggie smalls - YouTube[/ame]

"One two three four five six seven eight nine"

Uhh, it's the ten crack commandments
    What, uhh, uhh
    ***** can't tell me nothin bout this coke, uh-huh
    Can't tell me nothin bout this crack, this weed
    To my hustlin *****z
    *****z on the corner I ain't forget you *****z
    My triple beam *****z, word up

"One two three four five six seven eight nine"
    "TEN"

I been in this game for years, it made me a animal
    It's rules to this shit, I wrote me a manual
    A step by step booklet for you to get
    your game on track, not your wig pushed back
    Rule nombre uno: never let no one know
    how much, dough you hold, cause you know
    The cheddar breed jealousy 'specially
    if that man fucked up, get your ass stuck up
    Number two: never let em know your next move
    Don't you know Bad Boys move in silence or violence
    Take it from your highness (uh-huh)
    I done squeezed mad clips at these cats for they bricks and chips
    Number three: never trust no-bo-dy
    Your moms'll set that ass up, properly gassed up
    Hoodie to mask up, shit, for that fast buck
    she be layin in the bushes to light that ass up
    Number four: know you heard this before
    Never get high, on your own supply
    Number five: never sell no crack where you rest at
    I don't care if they want a ounce, tell em bounce
    Number six: that god damn credit, dead it
    You think a crackhead payin you back, shit forget it
    Seven: this rule is so underrated
    Keep your family and business completely seperated
    Money and blood don't mix like two dicks and no bitch
    Find yourself in serious shit

Number eight: never keep no weight on you
    Them cats that squeeze your guns can hold jobs too
    Number nine shoulda been number one to me
    If you ain't gettin bags stay the fuck from police (uh-huh)
    If *****z think you snitchin ain't tryin listen
    They be sittin in your kitchen, waitin to start hittin
    Number ten: a strong word called consignment
    Strictly for live men, not for freshmen
    If you ain't got the clientele say hell no
    Cause they gon want they money rain sleet hail snow
    Follow these rules you'll have mad bread to break up
    If not, twenty-four years, on the wake up
    Slug hit your temple, watch your frame shake up
    Caretaker did your makeup, when you pass
    Your girl fucked my man Jake up, heard in three weeks
    she sniffed a whole half of cake up