I live in New England... And I want to grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by hitsfr0mthebonG, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I have a lot of questions. I am willing to absorb as much information as i can so anyone if you have advice I am totally willing to listen. I tried growing last spring, e-p-i-c fail. This year I have done a lot of research, found a great site to get my seeds off of, but still have concerns and a bunch of questions. My close friends and I all are into making feature films, we are actually real good at it and have generated some revenue from it. We would like to make a career out of it, hence why we want to grow weed. Being a recession and all this is obviously a risky move considering the legal status of cannabis. I love weed, I'm totally 100% for everything cannabis has to offer, I use it to write my screenplays, I use it when I work, when I am at school, when I am doing anything and I feel like i excel at everything I do when I smoke weed, my mindset is that it is a beautiful thing. I want to spread my love for this by giving a great product. I'm going to ramble off a million questions and I know this is a huge story of a thread lol, but if you can help, you're the man (or woman) !. So, I am thinking of getting six different strands, Liberty Haze, Pineapple Express, White Widow, Chemdawg, Lemon Thai Kush, Blue Dream. Now i do live in New England so it can be 80 degrees one day and 10 degrees with a blizzard the next day, is it better for me to do outdoors, or indoors? I have read up on my research and I would like to do outdoors for the majority of my seeds, I am willing to try indoors with a few seeds, been looking into the indoor growing systems as well. Also if anyone lives in the area, when is the right time to have the seeds ready to be transplanted outside? I was thinking early April. I don't know if it is too early, or if I can do it earlier, I just do not want to risk them out there and there is still a frost. Also any good soil mixtures? I think I have a pretty clear idea of what I am going to use. Also I am looking to plant close to 100-150 seeds, how much square footage would I need outside? And if there isn't water RELATIVELY close by, could I water these myself? I have a team of people with me too so there will be one of us to look at the plants everyday to water, check on them, etc. I have a lot of more questions in my head, but I want to see where I am after this. If you read this far I appreciate it and would appreciate the advice. Thank you and legalize the fuck out of mary

2. Read the stickies.

3. So last year was a epic fail and now u think u can grow 150 plants?

4. Yeah big task bro. Speakingfrom experience growing 80 plants in 100 gallon pots foramedical marijuana operation. Its a bigjob when you can do it in the open and have access to water easily. So doingtht many guerilla style is just not feasible without alot of stress and problems evn with experience let aloneabeginner tryingit. Stickto growingin your closet. Start small learn the ropes thenmove up.

5. You want to make a career out of making films and that explains why you want to grow 150 plants? Growing 150 plants is for someone who doesn't have a career and wants to risk spending a large amount of life behind bars.

I am growing 20-50 or however much I can. I have 137 plants inside now that I'm vegging gettin em nice and healthy to throw them outside. My soil mix is alaskan peat moss, ewc/compost, and perlite. I will be mixing crab meal, canola meal, alfafa meal, high p bat guano, fish bone meal each with 2 lbs and 4 lbs of kelp meal. I will be adding 3 cups of each per cf of my base soil and planting them into 3x3x3 dug wholes.

For watering I am buying a water storage tank and a gas powered pump. I will fill the tank up and haul it in, then pump the water to my site from my car into a few rubbermaid jugs (48 gal each) so I always have water on site that I can scoop out. I will have them mostly dug and stashed with the lid on them, and plants will have chicken wire as well as fish line up around and maybe deer fencing.

When needed extra nutes and right before flower I will be top feeding and hauling in premixed jugs of teas. This should be the only time I will need to carry in 20 gals of jugs. I will be leaving molassis on site to be adding throughout the plant growth and increase the amounts giving as time goes on, but other then that it will mostly be water.

As time goes on weather could be an issue. This year we got no rain until oct, so it was good. Usually rain comes in around sept so I will be setting up a mini green house type thing or a weather guard to keep them covered and take it down when its clear. I shouldn't have to use it much, but I will have it ready in case.

Lastly I will be spraying for pests, mold, pm with a product called nuke em. It is safe to use even during flower and doesn't burn or have any negative effects on the plant. The crab meal should also help. I had no problems last year and had 0 mold or insect issues, but I got a big bottle for free and figure it can't hurt to use it.

6. hitsfrOmthebonG, you and your posse should stick to filming and forgo the grow. Instead, how about following me with your cameras and we'll do a reality guerrilla grow film? During filming, I'll supply all the herb that you can possibly smoke. Just think, you could learn the ropes of growing, while buzzed out of your mind!

7. thanks for all the replies. @ JPG if you didn't live in MN I would totally be down man that would be an epic film! As far as all of the plants, we have three separate locations, all close to each other, but far enough from snooping eyes, etc. We spent six months looking for locations, checking if people go near them, and they are perfect, all relatively close to water too. I am not the only one taking care of these plants, I have four other people with me. @ ruffstylez your recipe is actually one that a lot of people mentioned in articles and websites I have read so maybe that will be the way I will go with the soil. @mattmc804 last year was a fail, but this is a new year, I definitely know a lot more now then I did then. If anyone can actually answer my questions that would be cool, but I like the talk this is a good forum!

8. I would try to keep it as easy as possible. How is the native soil for your spots? If its good I would just dig some 2x2x2 holes and use a pitch fork to mix around the soil so it's not compact and full with roots. Then I would just get some slow time released ferts like espoma tomato tone and throw a handful in each hole. It should feed for the entire season. Make sure your plants have enough space between each other for mold and other issues. If there are deer and small animals around you will need some chicken wire, preferably the green plastic kind. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

9. With the nature of our unpredictable weather, I feel like you're putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket with that large of a grow.

Wouldnt you want to at least get proof of concept that growing will work for you in this area safely/securely/etc with maybe 5 plants before you dump 150 plants into a space and have at it?

I think one of your biggest concerns will be the amount of rain we get plus the drastic temperature swings plus wildlife.

I mean, good luck no matter what you do, Im interested to follow it... just confused how you make the jump from 1 failed outdoor grow to 150 plants and a team of people.

10. Don't try to be like Evel Knievel in his attempt to jump over Snake River Canyon. Like the replies you received, try to be realistic on the number of plants you would like to grow. 5 plants per person is realistic. Everybody pitches in, from digging holes to water schedules. Jaygrass' reply is perfect - keep it simple. If you have decent native soil, and you water periodically, you will be fine. You are on a learning curve, that is why you have so many questions. Be patient and soak up all the gardening knowledge you can from each growing season. Hope to see you in the movies.

11. The first rule of growing is do not tell anyone, except for gc.. Do an amount u can do ur self without telling anyone. Considering u seem like u have no clue what ur doing id do 10 15 gallon plants, if u want u can pm any questions ill help u the best i can, I've grown 3 years and last year was my first successful year i pulled 10 oz off 5 5 gal plants.

12. @ Jaygrass in the grow spots I plan on doing this, it is mostly swampland, the soil is fairly rich. I was considering using that soil, but was also contemplating on just digging down, and then laying my soil mix on top. What are your thoughts? Do you have any suggestions on soil mixes too?

13. For soil mixes go check out inthegardens's organic soil mix for beginners in the organic section. Basically it's 1/3 peat moss 1/3 aeration (perlite) and 1/3 compost (earth work castings). Then add a cup of lime per cubic ft (7.5 gallons) and 2-3 cups TOTAL amendments per cubic ft. I'm using her mix this year because you can just feed water. It's really as easy as it gets.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cool thanks for the mix! I also have a question when I do transplant them in the ground outside, how far away should each plant be from one another?

15. I only ask because I have seen people say many different measurements, just curious to see what you have to say

16. General rule of thumb is 3 ft apart at a minimum

17. Depends if you are topping or lsting them. I top and lst so I like my holes at least 4 ft from each other.

18. Also if you want to use a mix you will want to do it soon. If you use blood meal (id use alfafa, crab, canola for my n instead) then you need to let it cook and lose its smell or you will be asking for trouble. The same goes for bone meal, but there isn't really any sub for that. Get fish bone meal and something like high p guano as well as kelp. Mix it all together but double the kelp for example 1 lb everything then 2 lb kelp and 3 cups per 7.5 gal of soil. The longer this sits and breaks down the better off it'll be and less smell for animals. So get to work now and reap the benefites in 2 months - and years to come if you want to keep reusing it.

19. hey man im from NH ive dont a few outdoor grows ill tell u what i kno

the soil around here is acidic as fuck cuz of all the pine trees so dont even think about using soil from the ground, what u want to do is get atleast some 5 gallon buckets u can get those huge 25 gallon smart pots too or a smaller size but pretty much the bigger the better.

for soil if u dont want to get too crazy just get some fox farm ocean forest or happy frog or mix both or w.e and throw in some pearlite
    then just get there 3 basic fertilizers u can get the soluables to but u dont need them, then just basically follow the feeding chart.
    + GREENLIFE GROWERS SUPPLY +, The Hub of Hydroponics" is a hydro store where u can find all the soil ferts and lights u need if u dont want to order online, theres one in NH, MA and maine

grow sativas outside and indca inside if u want it just makes sense...

pick a good spot, chainsaw a few trees if u have to put some chicken wire type shit around each plant or the whole grow site with enough space but make sure that shits sturdy and big enough to keep the wild lfe out and make sure theres lots of sunlight, check out the spot at diffrent times of day to see how the sun is there

and if u want start indoors but i wouldnt plant outside till like may 5th to the second week of may just to be safe and harvest in early october.

20. just found out that my area is getting around 20 inches of snow this friday... this is going to set my preparation for the grow sites back, but i feel like i can have everything dug out and all that within a few days so i'm not that worried. so each plant should be MINIMUM 3 feet apart from each other. I have seen some pictures online and I see that the crops are all bundles together. Is that just how they end up growing? or do people tend to put them closer together? I have also decided to cut down the amount of seeds, I figure I can save them to do indoors in the fall, so I can have bud year round. I guess doing 150 was kind of a spur of the moment type of deal, and I appreciate all of you talking me out of it lol