I know this is the legalization forum but....

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by iget dat kush, Aug 10, 2009.

1. I think weed should be illegal as it is. Before you say fuck you weeds great im not trying to say its not i love mary jane as much as anyone.

Drug dealers like the money dealing bud brings them obv or they wudnt do it. So if you legalize weed its good for you cheap weed, better weed, and you dont have to worry about getting skimpy bags, getting robbed, getting shit weed, and dealing with low life dealers. But the drug dealer perspective is, weed becomes legal, deal a diff drug. (No im not a dealer i just know a shitload of dealers) Weed is profitable no doubt but once its legal whos gonna buy from dealers ? little kids who cant go to the coffee shops to buy it themselves. So the dealers realize its get a real job that doesnt pay as well or deal other drugs. The gov realizes this and figures theyd rather have weed illegal and have weed dealers on the street instead of snow, x, heroine, etc. dealers.

Also making weed legal wouldn't help the economy that much. I used to think it would until i realized weed being legal would only cause people to grow. For example i know how to grow and have grown with friends (not at my house) but it was too much of a hassle to go out a half mile to go check on it water it and stuff every few days. So the alternative to that was buying from a dealer. So weed being legal would cause a lot of people to grow in their house (i would). Some would buy from coffee shops but more would grow themselves. So the only thing i could see from making weed legal is that people would buy brownies from coffee shops. Because i hate the smell of brownies when you make them and so do many of my friends.

Body wise weed isnt good for you. Its not terribly bad but i wouldnt go as far to say its good for you. Honestly every stoner i know says oh its not as bad as cigs or alcohol. True but its not like cigs n alch r good for you. Weed does kill brain cells, not a lot but it still kills some, it does damage your lungs, and it turns your gums a darker red (idk if thts bad or not but still just saying) It CAN make you lazy and unmotivated. I love to puff n then go skate or play cod waw, but it makes some people lazy so that depends on the person.

So the positives of weed being legal are you cant get laced bud, its cheaper, better, n no worrying about the pigs pullin up while your puffin a blunt wit yor boys of that really nice shit you just picked up.

Also think about it you smoke whether its illegal or not so what would being legal exactly do? Make more problems. You would still smoke ( You would get better bud to puff no doubt) Also its not like making it legal would make it easier to get bowls, bongs n stuff. Theyre easy enough to get. You get them anywhere gas stations, cigar shops, etc.

P.S this was my first thread so sorry if it has anything against the rules ( i dont think it does )

2. You are completely entitled to your opinion so that's fine, but I'm entitled to mine too :devious:

Excuse me? It would help the economy loads, and right now the economy needs all the help it can get

60% of the people of America now say we are heading toward a depression. Not a recession, a depression. We are in desperate need of profitable industries that we can tax. Um... Now can we legalize pot? -Bill Maher

I understand this concern, but there's something about making a natural plant that has never killed anybody illegal that is wrong to me

Plus are you saying that we should keep marijuana illegal because we won't be able to make as much of a profit off of it as we want? Wtf man..

And there are quite a few people without the resources or time to grow their own marijuana, do you brew your own beer or grow your own tobacco?
    No it doesn't.
    Not really, I kinda have a problem with being in fear of the law and getting an arrest record because of a plant that by all means is safer than alcohol

3. True a lot of people dont have the time to grow and i didnt realize this. And yes i will bet everything dollar to my name weed kills brain cells.

Idk how to quote something yet but im not saying we keep mj illegal because we couldnt make as much as we want off it. Not what i meant at all. I meant to say a lot of people think that would totally turn out economy around. no doubt it would help but that wouldnt be the only thing that would be needed to be done in order to turn our economy around.

Also you can die of weed its not impossible. i know most people dont have that type of money n time to smoke that much. its like your body weight in 15 mins or something. So you cud say if you use any drug responsibily it wont kill you. Coke if you sniff a gram in one line yea your gona od n prob die. but if you sniff like .2 .3 you wont die and you will enjoy yourself.

Thank you for posting your opinions and i see that some things i though were wrong but i still think weed should be illegal.

4. #4 cheerios, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
    Hey,
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. I would like to challenge and question some of the assertions you make.

-The implications of cannabis legality on the economy goes well beyond the tax revenue raised by selling it in coffee shops or dispensaries. In fact, 500 respected economists would disagree with your assumption that the economy would not be helped by ending cannabis prohibition.

Enforcing prohibition is very costly to our society. The prosecution of non-violent cannabis users tie up our courts and overcrowds our taxpayer-funded prisons. Eradication of cannabis is also extremely costly. It is estimated that $7.7 billion dollars are spent on enforcing cannabis prohibition yearly. This money could be much more useful in funding things like education and public works projects.

If you'd like to read the full letter to Congress and the President about the economic benefits of ending prohibition you can read it here:
    Time to Legalize Marijuana? - 500+ Economists Endorse Marijuana Legalization
    These are not fringe economists either. They are Nobel Laureate recipients, Harvard and MIT professors (aka very very smart people!)

-It is understandable that you may be under the impression that these statements are true, however I ask you to look at scientific studies before you accept the propaganda of groups like the ONDCP.

These following quotes are from Myths and Facts About Marijuana

a. Weed kills brain cells:

b. Cannabis is bad for your lungs.

I would also like to add that any harm to the lungs caused by cannabis is due to the inhalation of smoke. These risks no longer become relevant when vaporizing or eating the ganja.

c. Cannabis CAN make you lazy and unmotivated.

I know there are plenty of motivated active stoners who would be case studies of this point.

-I'd also like to take a moment to answer your question

Ending the prohibition on cannabis would likely do several things.

1. The 738,915 people who were charged with simple marijuana possession (not sale or manufacture) in 2006 would not have their lives torn apart. Upstanding citizens wouldn't have their student loans revoked and their families torn apart.

If you want to see some personal accounts of the averse effects of prohibition on the lives of Americans you can go here http://www.mpp.org/victims

2. It would allow seriously ill patients in all 50 states to safely and legally receive the medicinal benefits of cannabis.

If you are curious as to some of the medicinal benefits of cannabis you can go here to learn some more about what this medicine has to offer Medical Use - NORML

3. If would help our economy and clear up our criminal justice system to fight serious and dangerous criminals.

4. It would take a major part of the Mexican drug cartel's funding away from them, thus helping to stop violence and murders and keep the 230 cities in America in which the cartels are openly operating safer.

5. It would allow American farmers to grow industrial hemp, a viable alternative to many wasteful and environmentally unfriendly industrial materials.

6. It would send a strong signal to the 94 million American's who have tried cannabis that the government believes in science over ideology, and would turn these criminals back into law abiding citizens thus creating more respect for the rule of law.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Again welcome to the forum, and hope there is some useful info there.

Best,
    Cheerios

5. Cheerios i never said it wouldnt help at all but again it wouldnt totally solve EVERY economic problem we have today. Yes it would help a lot now that i realize so many people couldnt grow due to time, and they dont know how to. And you said moderate smoking doesnt damage your lungs that much. Well what about the people that do smoke a lot? And medical mj is different from mj for recreational use. I totally SUPPORT MEDICAL MJ. And after i re read your post after i realized mj prohibition is so expensive that would help out our economy. I was only thinking of the profit from the actual product. Thanks for bringing that up

Chrisdemeo mj does affect your lungs. I can give you 100,000 sites to support this. Although when vaped or eaten it has no affect on the lung so how you use mj determines if it affects your lungs or not.

6. the only reason its been thought that marijuana can kill brain cells is because the testing for it was on monkeys and they put gas masks on the monkeys for 5 minutes each only inducing large amount of pot smoke but absolutely no oxygen. so yes if you hold your breath for 5 minutes you will kill brain cells. *facepalm* get your facts straight.

7. Eastcoastfunk so they only did one test for pot killing brain cells?

8. #9 cheerios, Aug 10, 2009
    Good question, I am going to try to answer it a few different ways.

There is lots of contradictory evidence in regards to the effect of smoked cannabis on lung health. This recent study may be of interest

Heavy Marijuana Smoking Not Linked To Raised Lung, Neck Cancer Risk

however you will surely be able to find studies that would contradict this one. You can also look at case studies, such as the man who has smoked an average of 10 joints a day for the past 30+ years and has a lung capacity of 108%.

Regardless, this does not make a convincing case for keeping cannabis illegal (which is the central argument of this thread)

Just because something in excess can cause problems does not mean it should be illegal. Excessive eating of fast food can cause obesity and other health problems, but it is up to us what we put in our bodies, and how much we put in our bodies.

Vaporization and eating are also more lung healthy alternatives.

Also, a note on how some are approaching this thread. I know it can be frustrating when we encounter people who may be uninformed about cannabis prohibition, and the scientific facts that are around. Rather than treating these people as ignoramuses (wow, that is an actual word?), let us try to educate and inform them. Legalization is an uphill battle (although I sense the tide turning) and we need all of the informed support we can get!
    Best,
    Cheerios

9. #10 THCBandito, Aug 10, 2009
    Yes, the study that you are thinking of is the study done by Dr.Heath that was conducted on Rhesus monkeys, the report concluded that the monkeys began to waste away and die after 90 days

What they didn't mention for quite some time was that the methodology involved strapping the monkeys to a chair and pumping them with the equivalent of 63 joints in five minutes through gas masks

Thus, the monkeys were suffocating, and 3-5 minutes of oxygen deprivation causes brain damage and dead brain cells

Marijuana itself is physically quite safe for your brain, no worry of loss of brain cells there

Oh and chrisdmeo, the smoking of any substance is not natural for your lungs and damages them, you may not get cancer from marijuana or nearly as much tar in your lungs as cigarettes because marijuana is a bronchodilator and an expectorant, meaning it opens up your lungs sort of like a cough drop does and doesn't trap in tar, but the smoking of anything is never healthy, that can't be denied

And just clarifying a bit on this, the statistic overdosing on marijuana and getting a lethal dose of THC in your system would be the equivalent of smoking 1,500 pounds in 15 minutes, and even if you attempted that you would die from smoke inhalation and cerebral hypoxia from the lack of oxygen to your brain

And using rough estimates, that still translates to eating more than your body weight in pure THC, it is physically impossible to OD on marijuana any way you look at it

You may die from asthma or an allergic reaction or a car accident, but its not marijuana that killed you, its your asthma or allergies or the car accident.. nobody has ever died directly from marijuana..

10. Anything in excess is bad. Very true but this wasnt really a thread to keep weed illegal it was just kinda my point of view on it lol. I could see how you would take it as that. It wasnt to change peoples minds or anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i was just sharing mine.

11. If someone can show me some (like maybe 3-4) tests where pot has been proven not to kill brain cells i will admit i was wrong. But at this point i havent been shown anything and i will keep thinking that it kills a small amount of brain cells.

12. I agree wholeheartedly. A world filled with varied voices and opinions is a good thing. Opinions, however, can have varying degrees of validity. Some opinions are based solely on personal tastes (whether you like pizza) however other opinions are based on concrete scientific fact that can be sited and sourced.

Another great thing about opinions is that they can change. I hope that by presenting a cogent argument for the benefits of legalizing cannabis I can get you to change your mind OR if you still fully support your opinion of cannabis being illegal maybe you could back up that opinion more solidly with some data and cited sources.

13. actually no, there was one done in 2005 that shows that marijuana might stimulate brain cell growth...

14. So.... you saying Weed should like Batman? our "Dark Knight Drug"

Why is Weedman running papa?

Because we have to chase Weedman son, we have to chase him.

15. You did change my mind about some things but not all of them.

I agree pot will boost the economy. And mj for medicinal uses should be legal everywhere. but also it doesnt have to be bad to be illegal.

Tell me if this is against the rules to bring up but prostitution is illegal. Its enjoyable and it produces money. Same as weed. So under your argument for it being legal prostitution should be legal ? If the gov cud find a way to tax it and regulate it its gonna be legal? No probably not.

16. dude i have no idea what youre trying to say lol.

17. I want to answer you and make sure I am not misunderstanding you. I am kind of confused as to what you mean by this:

if you could clear that up I'd love to respond.

18. Cheerios idk it made more sense when i wrote it then it does now.

19. Weed should be illegal because the weed dealers will sell other drugs?

There are already a ton of coke crack and pill dealers out there. And the reason people want it legal is so that people dont have to use coke crack and pills. Just use MJ, legally. People who use harder drugs figure why use something that is just as illegal as coke, but less powerful. If we legalize it, then people will use Mj as an alternative to harder drugs.