I know nothing - Help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rubber_Ugly, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Thanks in advance, people.  What do I need, and what do I need to do, to just get something small going?  I consume an ounce or so per month, and would need only a yield that could meet this.

I know nothing about growing cannabis, though I have had several successful vegetable gardens.

?

2. Question...indoor or outdoor?

I'm gonna assume indoor...[​IMG]

Well...seed to harvest, you're looking at 3-4 months, depending on the plant size desired, as well as the strain...so you'd be looking at trying to achieve a qp per harvest...

A 3'x3' area with a 600W light should give you plenty...you could even run 2-3 plants/strains at a time to give you a variety...

If you're comfortable and experienced with soil vegetable gardens, I'd suggest soil as a medium to start with...hard for me to say as I'm a dyed in the wool hydro guy...

If you're familiar with compost and the like, you should check out the organics section...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/

...I have mad respect for a lot of these guys (and gals), and their sky high knowledge levels...

My best suggestion is always read, read, read...soooo much info here, you can learn a ton...knowledge is power...[​IMG]

Check out some of the grow journals...find some that interest you...find setups that you think may work for you, then follow the journal to see how they work...

A good setup is worth it's weight in gold...do it right from the start...

Make sure your lighting, ventilation and odour control are well thought out and work properly before you even think of starting your grow...I always suggest running your setup empty for a week or so before you even think of cracking seeds...hopefully any problems will show themselves in this time, and you can deal with them before you have plants to worry about...

I know...not really saying all that much, but just a few pointers...[​IMG]

Read all of the stickies in this section before you even think of planning anything...

Also check out...

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-designsetup/

...and the lighting sub forum...

http://forum.grasscity.com/lighting/

The DIY section is great if you're a build your own type...

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/

Get involved in the grow forums...sub to a few journals, get to know the regulars in them...lots of people here know more than enough to make me look like an idiot, and plenty of them are extremely helpful...[​IMG]

Growing is a wonderful hobby...a passion even...get into it, and you'll be hooked...guaranteed...[​IMG]

3. #3 Storm Crow, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
    It isn't hard, hon! Cannabis grows with pretty much the same care as tomatoes.  Lighting?- well, I get by with 14 big CFLs (ebay), but the new LEDs are nice, too.  For just an ounce or so a month, you don't really need the "big" lights. I have a "perpetual harvest" going on- My plants are about 3 weeks apart, so I always have something "about ready".

Don't skimp on your potting soil, and totally skip the Miracle Grow! You should microwave a small amount of your potting soil for your seedlings. Nuking it kills the "damping off" fungus that kills seedlings- just be sure to let it cool all the way down before adding your sprouted seeds. (Paper towel method works just fine for sprouting!) By the time they need transplanting, they are immune to damping off.

When you get spider mites, some Dr Bronner's Peppermint Soap (health food store or online) will kill the mites. Instructions on how to use it as an insecticidal soap are online.  Because it kills the mites by stripping off their waxy coating so they dehydrate to death, they can NOT become resistant to insecticidal soaps! Just be sure to get the underside of the leaves where the mites hide. The soap (and most of the dead mites) can be removed by spraying the plant with tepid water. The soap rinses off and soil bacteria change it into nutrients for your plant.  No poisons should be used on cannabis. 

I'm sure others will chime in and give you other tips!

Granny

4. All I can say is read, read, read. That is what I am doing. On my first grow and although it's slower than anticipated, I am proud of myself for getting this far. Buy some good seeds from someone reputable. I would also say, go for 2 plants instead of 1. It really won't be that much more work and  if you have the space and lighting, you should go for it. Read, read, read, and ask lots of questions. No questions are stupid and everyone on here is super helpful.

5. Read, read, read. Spot on.  There's a ton of info on these boards alone, and then there's a wee bit more out on the rest of the internet.  Sandie mentioned it in another post but didn't post it here so I'll pull it in for her:  You will get 3-5 different directions for every question you ask.  You'll need to filter out the guessers and the hype merchants, and the more you read, the easier that gets.

6. Wow, thanks so much everyone!

"Spider mites" - ?!?  Yikes....

I'm planning on doing this in our bedroom closet...the closet is about 10' long by 3' deep; is this alright, or?   My landlord suggested that I start growing as he is "tired of overpaying for shit", lol, but we'll see how things go.

He's got an entire basement that I have access to, but it's so damned nasty and smelly. 

My buddy had something going with coffee cans in rows and lights that he 'made' by splitting cardboard boxes and covering them with foil. (??)  I have vague memories of that.

Thanks again!