I just quit my job

Discussion in 'General' started by oldskoolgrower, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I'm sick of Corporate America. I resigned my position as a senior consultant for the firm I work for, effective 2 weeks from today. I'm still going to do a little private consulting to pay the bills but at the rates I charge that won't take much in terms of effort. In the meantime I'm phasing myself out of the corporate world and instead I'm going to focus on my writing. I have a good contract setup with a good literary agent, and once my income from that is sufficient I can just relax and travel with my wife.

I'm just sick of having my talents used and abused to further often ethically dubious ends. Some people thrive in the corporate environment; after almost 20 years of it I'm just done. As soon as possible I'll have phased out of it completely.

My phone is ringing off the hook now. I guess my VP got the word out already :laughing:

This might be fun even.

2. I feel your pain man, feels great to be out though doesn't it? I would quit and try and do what I do on the side, but it would be hard to make a living at around here.

3. My wife and I have sort of been planning for this. I have a few projects lined up to do privately for direct fee and we have more than enough savings to cover for quite some time. She also works, and I'm expecting a decent advance on a book in the next 3 or 4 months.

4. I think I hate my job more every single day if at all possible, but in these times..there's no way to resign and keep your head above water.

5. shit son, keep us updated on that book.

I'm actually about to go in for a job interview tomorrow (Wendy's...but fuck it.((only 18))) it's a job.

6. It won't matter when the book is published or any other details really because I'm obviously not linking my RL identity to the one I use to discuss my growing. Not until it's fully legal :D

7. Best of luck OSG. :)

8. Well good for you man. Stick to what you want and not what other people want.

That's all I got to say for now I guess.

Enjoi.

9. I got out last year, I HATE working in cubes, and after doing so for most of 20 years I had enough. I don't even WANT to go back to work at this point, not doing anything. I want to work for myself, and that looks like it's going to happen finally!

GOod luck OldSkool, you'll be fine. Getting out in this economy isn't necessarily the worst thing you could do.

10. Can I just skip Corporate America and join you? :D

11. Thanks. I really don't have much choice. I'm very good at what I do but I find myself disliking it more and more. I'm not going to let a job kill me; I work to live not live to work.

12. i admire you man it takes a lot of guts to do something like that. i've only held one real job. i make it through other means. pretty soon i am going into the Service though, its kinda a family tradition.

13. Way to go man... follow your dreams.

14. Cool to hear, was just asking my co-worker why he only worked 4 days a week and he said because he could. Life isn't just about making money

15. Well man Im happy you can just up and quit your job like that.

16. wow, well thats great. :hello: I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Good luck.

17. It's actually something we've been planning for for quite some time.

18. So you been savin alot of money up then? How long did you go to school for your degree?

19. What degree? I changed majors so many times I never bothered to get one. Yes we've saved and invested pretty wisely over the years.