I just had an experience with God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ISnuff, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Monk I love your title! (I happen to read latin)

Honestly, there is not one shred of consistency in a theistic argument. Since reality is consistent, a theory or postulate that is inconsistent cannot be valid so there is no point in trying to argue. You can't reason someone out of something they haven't been reasoned into. All this god nonsense is just childhood trauma and a need to be dominated/taken care of bubbling from the depths of their unconscious into their consciousness. 

To the OP, you might want to look into free writing, a practice used a lot in the mental health field. It sounds very similar to what you described. 

Reality isn't consistent. There is a consistent aspect to reality, but you must realize that there is also an inconsistent one.

What aspect of reality is inconsistent? 

4. #64 pickledpie, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014

Our imagination. We are aware of it and can direct it in an infinite number of ways. We can experience sensory stimulus directly through the experience of the imagination, and who's not to say we don't live in a dream? Well no one of course. It can't be said.

What aspect of spirituality is inconsistent?

Regarding childhood trauma, I was not raised with the slightest word of god.  I was an atheist until I found god, understanding, through exploring the depths of my consciousness.

So the things that happen in your imagination happen in reality? If you dream of a swimming pool full of $100 bills, you actually have it? What kind of weed are you smoking and where can I get some... :D

I'm saying that reality consists of more than just what you mention as being "reality". We are aware of this imagination and experience it, thus it is a part of our reality. Tell me, what is reality for a man with an extreme case of schizophrenia? One in which there are great hallucinations and delusions?

Reality is the same regardless of who is experiencing it, a schizophrenic man simply has a very flawed view of reality. There is a difference between objective and subjective experience. Imagination = subjective, reality = objective. 

Objective experience is defined through subjective experience.

If your postulate is true, there is no objective experience.

We know there is objective experience because we have other experiences with which to validate ours, we have objective testing. If you think that you live in some dream world inside your own head, you (the one having the experience) must exist outside the experience. Ie, you must exist objectively. You can't be a figment of your own imagination. 

If you are going to try to dispute that (by which I mean dispute Descartes' cogito ergo sum) then I would suggest we politely and respectfully end this exchange here as I have no desire to get drawn into a long and trite discussion with someone who thinks they are arguing with their own delusions. 

11. Actually, you're sort of disputing Descartes, but I'll leave it here for now.

12. Latin is simple, but beautiful.  It's a shame it isn't spoken much anymore.

Yeah, it's something I wish I could learn again. High school was a little while ago, you know? :p but you never lose all of it, right?

14. just out of curiosity, do you associate with a religion or do you consider yourself just spiritual?or something else maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I kind of associate with more than one, but I think it's better to just say I haven't adopted a particular one.

Perhaps it's your perception that is deluding the value of a word rather than the word itself.

Rather Gnostic that. Good.

Regards
    DL

18. #79 Boats And Hoes, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014

Let's dissect your gargle...

1.) Prove to to me reality is "consistent" - without presupposing your own assertion.. and then you might be making some sense.

2.) Your psychoanalysis is vapid, vaccuous, and quite atavistic (in thought).

3.) Derp.

19. Doesn't change the fact that the word still wasn't necessary.