I just got laid off.

Discussion in 'General' started by sfsc, Aug 9, 2010.

1. :mad:

They cut me from 40 hours to 38 hours a few months ago. Then they cut everyone down to 38 hours. Then they moved me back to 40 hours a week and cut everyone down to 35 hours a week.

I talked to my boss (because of the amount of hours being cut back, even though mine technically only changed temporarily) about the hour cuts, and he said there's nothing to worry about. Just lack of work for the time being.

So, I was happy with that answer.

Then my hours got cut to 38 again.
    Then my hours got cut to 36.
    Then my hours got cut to 30.
    Then my hours got cut to 25.

Then I got a call to come in to talk to my boss a few hours ago ... just got back. With no job.

I asked 'why me' to see if it was because I was a bad worker ... but apparently more than 75% of the people were let go.

FUUUUU. I literally just got let go from the best job in the world. Insurance Adjuster at Gieco.

Oh well. More jobs. Plus I have experience ... hopefully I'll find a job, even if it means relocating.

2. Your boss is a straight up douche. I mean I know it's one thing to lay someone off because of dire times, but to lie to you about it?

Kinda fucked up.

Good luck finding a new job man. I'm sure it'll come up sooner than you expect.

3. These days it happens to just about everyone. It's happened to me THREE times in my life, file your unemployment ASAP and get back out there...I take it they didn't offer a severance package?

4. Definitely hope so.

That's what a lot of the talk is. Apparently, if I worked there THREE MORE DAYS ... there would be. But since I'm relatively new to the job (started February 12th of this year) apparently I don't qualify.

As far as unemployment, most definitely.

5. Happens to the best of us OP.
    Just file your unemployment and hunt.
    I mean hunt.

It's really hard out there.

6. Goodluck man, I suggest working on you resume!

7. Don't sweat it, a LOT of people are in the same boat as you, this is a historical time in terms of unemployment. They're even making a movie based around it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPohmhNFwi4]YouTube - ‪The Company Men Trailer 2010 HD‬‎[/ame]

8. sucks but atleast you dont work outside in FLA its fuckin terrible

9. Better than me. 38 to 16 to fudge boy

Then I quit

10. Dude that fucking sucks, but we've all been there. Register for unemployment, you payed into unemployment insurance while you were working, so now that you need it you should totally use it. That's what it's for. Since you were layed off and not fired, you'll almost certainly get it.

Oh and I suggest you stop toking for a while, until you do find something else, just so you can be clean in case you're screened.

11. I can tell you right now, the reason you were let go is because you are newer and didn't have benefits yet. They didn't want to start paying benefits, so that put you in prime position to get cut.

It's a really fucked up thing to do, but it's something a lot of companies have started since the economy's been in the shitter.

12. i got laid off a few months ago. i looked for work but wasn't able to get hired from a few interviews. have been on unemployment for the past few weeks. i'm going to apply at some places in a few weeks and take it from there. i wish you the best bro in your search.

13. I got laid off at the end of May, now im trying to get on a Self Employment program through EI, application package is due friday so heres hoping

14. i recently got fired too bro, i dont qualify for unemployment.. pretty much makes everything i do shittier

15. That sucks but i lost my job at the beginning of the recession at least you hung in this long.

16. I'm not too worried about it. The only thing that sucks is if I want to work in the same field (I do), I'll have to relocate. My boss already told me of openings in a few cities that he knows of, but none that I want to go to. I'm going to check out a few offerings from similar companies (Liberty Mutual has an opening in Boston I'm considering) and see how that goes.

I have enough money set aside to keep me straight for at least a year, so I'm not too worried about it. Just kind of sucks getting let off like that.