I honestly don't know what to do anymore

Discussion in 'General' started by Tokinit, May 5, 2010.

1. So, I just got fired for the first time, from my first job, that I've had for 2 years. I deserved to be fired, I made a very stupid mistake that costed my boss extra money. I don't know why I made this mistake, as I've been working at this job for 2 years now, and never have made a mistake before. (Working on construction, pouring foundation...Didn't set up a form right causing one of the sections to blow out upon pouring the cement)

It's depressing. I never thought getting fired would cause me to become so depressed. And I really liked my boss. He taught me everything on the job, and I looked up to him. But I understand why he fired me, I caused him to have to pay extra, and he wouldn't want to have to pay even more to give me my paycheck.

But, I live in a town of 1200 people...There is pretty much no job openings around here. I've already went around town (I walked everywhere, it's that small) and put applications into pretty much every place I could...I might have missed some, I don't know.

Would there be anyway to find a job online or something? A temporary job till I get a real job? I've considered the possibility of moving out of this town to another town to find work...But with no money, I can't move. I've got about 300 dollars left, so I don't know where I'd go with that little bit.

Ugh, why does life have to suck so bad. :(

2. 2 years without a mistake, and he fired you after 1 error? That sucks, man... It's a shame he couldn't just deduct the cost of your mistake from your check or something.

I guess I don't really have anything constructive to offer... So I'll just wish you the best of luck. Stay positive. :wave:

3. Well, I've made a mistake or two while I was learning of course, but nothing like this. Before this, worst thing he's gotten mad at me for was working slow one day because I was tired. Atleast, that I know of.

4. Read the rules?

As for your question OP, there really is no such thing as an "online job." You can get a job with a company and then telecommute, but there's no such job you can just pick up by applying around online. If a "company" ever approaches you and tells you that you can work online, many times it's a scam or requires you to spend money first.

Keep your head up man. Everybody has trials. Here's yours. Just keep going around and applying...if you gotta work at McDonalds then that's what you gotta do...there's no shame in doing whatever you need to do to provide for yourself.

5. ma bad.
    i cant read :(

6. I don't have a Mcdonalds or any fast food restaurant in my town, unless I travel an Hour and half away....I live in a small, farm town in Wyoming...It's where I grew up....I hate it here. Closest thing we have to fast food is the Gas station, that has a place where you can order hamburgers and french fries....And I already applied there.

*sigh*

7. Make sure you're following up man. Drop off an application, and then a couple of days later call them up, ask to speak to the manager, and just say something like "I'm so-and-so, I just filled out an application recently and I'm just inquiring about the status of it."

Sometimes that's all they need to give you an interview. You calling them saves them a phone call, and shows that you're interested.

Don't give up. You will find another job, you just gotta be determined.

8. Have you tried searching the Craigslist gigs section for odd jobs around your area?

Since you were working construction before, I'd imagine there are quite a few things you can do. :confused_2:

9. he lives in a farm town what if they dont know what craigslist is?

10. Idk dude.

300 dollars is a lot, and worse shit can happen.

300 dollars can buy you a greyhound ticket to wherever you need to go. Go online, find a good place with a high rate of employment. OR find a place that is great for any talents you my have.

unemployment is also an option maybe.

But if you hate your town, its low on jobs, and you have 300 dollars, then get out, take a risk, dont hold yourself down.

11. Can you be serious for even just a minute? :rolleyes: Dude is asking for advice.

People that live in farm towns aren't devoid of the Internet, as the OP clearly proves. While there might be some old people there with no computer, the vast majority of people in his town, I can guarantee, are hooked up to the net and know what Craigslist is.

If you ain't got nothing helpful to post just don't post at all.

12. LOL! ok :p
    well he could get a bus ticket to arizona since that bill passed alot of mexicans are migrating to california. so ya open jobs.......

13. Seriously take advantage of the jobs section on craigslist. As I sit here typing this, I'm at work for a job I found on craigslist over a year ago. I get paid $10/hour (here in TX minimum wage is like $7, so this is pretty good) to do tech support for this tiny-ass ISP - so in other words I get paid $10/hour to browse around GC and play Counter Strike and do homework lol...it's awesome.

So yeah, definitely utilize craigslist!

14. Wow, that's awesome! Was a college education required for that job? I don't have a college education, just a high school diploma.

15. #15 EdgarOregon100, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
    Craigslist DOES have the hookup. Even if you can't find a steady part-time or full-time gig, you can usually find one-time work helping someone move into a new house or something. I did the same thing a few months ago and made $150 for 4 hours of work moving furniture for an old lady who couldn't have done it herself.

Barring that, like HIGH IQ said, maybe it might be time for a move.

16. Have you tried approaching the old boss yet?

S/he may have some regrets about letting you go.

I would go back with a lowered head and basically say; Boss, I know I screwed up and it wasn't acceptable. Is there any way you would take me on again? :eek:

17. Honestly, unless you have something keeping you there dude, its time to close up shop there, and find somewhere you can enjoy.

Money really doesnt matter. Nor does a house, or a car, of any of that mumbo jumbo.

There are people from the US that make it to Thailand on 100 dollars and a million places in between, and come out smiling.

Its all about the experience dude.

It may be scary to leave and not know where you could be sleeping the next night but if you can get out the door, you can do it.

Personally I plan on leaving this shithole as soon as possible, I can play guitar for money, I can busk, or play gigs, and live off that.

Write high, play high, maybe ill get famous, who knows. But I sure as hell dont need a roof over my head or a big screen tv to make me happy.

Id take that shit over an 8 hour job that does nothing for me. Id love to do something like teach kids in a village in africa.

18. Sorry to hear that man, mabey you can call back your boss and tell him the situation you're in. Tell him he can take money out of your paychecks to pay for what he had to pay extra for. Mabey he was just all mad and aggravated when he did fire you.. He could have settled down by now, after all one mistake in 2 years isnt bad at all.. And its not like you did anything to destroy the company, he just had to pay extra. Its not the end of the world. I hope things work out for you man. Good luck

19. That's adorable.

Life is going to absolutely fucking rape you, dude. I hope you're kidding around with the hippy shit.

I'll just play guitar for money, maaaaannnnn..

20. Dude..... don;t listen to this tool, he will never be happy with this kind of attitude. Take a chance and move somewhere new and exciting. There are always jobs, illegal immigrants work hard in every country and make ends meet.
    I'd GTFO of the U.S. while you still can (seriously). Try Australia, New Zealand, or Canada (where they actually care about their citizens).
    OR you could try a volunteer organization that goes to places like Mongolia and Africa. Just live off the land and help educate, build houses for the natives.

I had a similar situation but stopped smoking for a few months and then talked to a Navy recruiter. I many not approve of the military, but I am sucking it up so I can go forward in Life.