I have sprouts in a paper towel now. What medium can I buylocally to start them in my hydro system

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Astow, Feb 10, 2017.

1. So I planned on growing in soil, but then was able to buy a used hydroponic ebb and flow system.

Now have all these seeds that have sprouted in my paper towel and I don't have any rock wool cubes or rapid rooters.

Is there something I can buy locally at home depot or Walmart that I can transfer these sprouts into? Is it too risky to try and move sprouts into a hydro start up system. I wish I had just bought the cubes in those. Ill agree this was terrible planning.

I can set up my hydro system this weekend.

I could also order online as well if it's OK to keep letting my sprouts sit in the paper towel longer then 7 days.

Or I can just grow in dirt. This is only my second grow, first in 15 years, first hydroponic grow.

2. Risky leaving sprouts that long. They use up all their energy making a long-assed shoot to nothing, and this normally kills them.
    Throw them in dirt. Quickly.

3. perlite, available at any garden centre

4. Anything soilless would be fine. Peat pellets aren't ideal, but would work in a pinch.

5. Hi..

Nothing wrong with putting them in a solo cups and dirt for a couple of weeks. Water only. This is how Mrs. Boo does clone for me. Then you can order what you need and get everything cleaned up and ready to go. If you use hydroton (expanded clay balls), make sure you rinse it multiple times and soak in low pH water for a couple of days. Then when ready to plant, let the soil get a little dry to make it easier to remove them from the cups. Once into the hydroton, run clean, warm (20c)' pH'd water to flush the dirt through. You will get some dirt in your system, but that can be flushed out by doing a couple of nute changes over the next few weeks.
    I have better luck doing it this way than putting the clones directly into the hydroton... And her clones are usually bigger than newly sprouted seeds.

Another option would be to go to a garden center and see if they have the small Rockwool cubes and carefully put the sprouts into the cubes. Again, leave them in the cubes for a couple of weeks until they get big enough to put into the hydroton.

Good luck!

6. Omg. Greaaaaaat forum support! Thanks

So I ordered rapid rooters and hydroton. Amazon says it should be here tmrw .

Is it OK to wait one more day for the rapid rooter pellets ya think?

I think I'm on day 6 or so since I paper towel'd them. I looked at them two days ago (day 4 I'm guessing) and was like 'holy Molly's. These seeds have some pretty serious roots already.

I don't want these little buddies to die they are working so hard

7. I'll put them in dirt if I have to ... But that whole flush the dirt out procedure sounds like trouble for a first time hydro grower.

8. Yes, it is somewhat a pain, but after a week or two in soil, you will have a strong, healthy plant with a good root system that will take to the hydroton better. And you are right, as a new hydro grower, you will have a lot of things to manage...temps (water and room), pH, ppm, ...etc.

Keep us informed on how it goes!