I have problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hibonus, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I started with some clones I bought, these took 3-4 weeks to even START growing once I put them in soil, and now they're of varying success... some still look like clones, I think they were cut from a flowering mother, I don't know.

I'm growing under 400W hps ( 12-18 inches from light to canopy ), 60% RH, 81-83 degrees pretty constant at soil level. A mix of Miracle grow Organic potting soil and Kellogg's organic ( I'll never use kellogg's again )

Anyway I started some seeds 2 weeks after I planted my clones, I'd ordered these seeds before I thought I could get the clones, anyhow. The seedlings are incredibly healthy ( they look 'perfect' ), same conditions except they're 6-12" further from the light ( off to the side ) The seedlings are actually now passing the clones in size ( only one clone is significantly bigger )

Anyway I took one of the healthiest seedlings and put it in the center spots under the light with the clones... After 24 hours the leaves looked limp, not crisp, it developed yellow spots, and changed from a healthy vibrant green to something... less healthy.

Alot of my clones have a Yellowing in the leaves, especially the lower leaves ( of which many yellow out and die ) They're been this way for weeks.

So my question is... How's my light damaging my plants?

400W HPS Sun system 2 , air cooled, glass-enclosed, Temps at soil-level are 81-84 degrees. Room temperature is roughly 81. They're under 20 hours of light. Good air movement, they have wind on them.

The temperature difference between where my Clones are and where the seedlings are is 2 degrees at most...

I really wanna know why my light did that to the Healthy seedling ( I say seedling, but it's 8 inches tall and working on it's 6-7th set of leaves ) Because the clones seem to suffer a lot of yellowing and I think it's all related.

All I can think of is HEAT, but from what I've read under 85 should be OK? Apart from that I mean, is there such a thing as too much light at this stage? All these plants are pretty well-rooted, & It's only a 400 W light...

THis is my first grow, thanks for any help. :wave:

2. I'm assuming you had some sort of rooting agent for your clones, right?

Do you have any tin foil anywhere in your box? I had tinfoil in my box and temperatures ran as high as 105 with it in there. Flat white paint is more reflective than tin foil. Mylar is even better(98%)

The lights intensity could have harmed your lights. In reality, HPS isnt what mj needs for vegging. They need 6500k (color temperature). You should really get a fluoro with 6500k color temperature for vegging. Then when you flower, use your hps and youll get some DANK buds.

also, if your soil has a lot of nutes, the heat could fry your plant.

3. #3 Hibonus, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
    The clones were given to me in Rockwool cubes, I assume the cloner knew what he was doing and used rooting hormone.

No no foil, the entire room is mylar.

I'm not fertlizing at all since these guys are only a month old... But the soils of course have ferts.

How many CFL's am I gonna need to cover a 3 x 3 foot area?

You think 4 of those giant EcoBulbs ( 300w equivalent ) on pendant reflectors would do? and would actually be an improvement over my 400w HPS?
    edit: those eco bulbs arent the right color temperature are they?

thanks

4. The wattage doesnt matter at all when using fluoro's. You need to look at the lumens. In optimal conditions, you need about 500-600 lumens per square foot. maybe even 1000 for flowering. This is easily achieved using fluroro's though don't worry. I dont know about those ecobulbs. Usually fluoros will have the color temp on the bulb, if not the box. Just make sure you have sufficient lumen output.

you cant beat HPS when it comes to flowering.

I wouldnt use CFLs. From my experience, they put out a little more heat than the tube fluoros. but if you do use them,make sure they're COOL BLUE and are around 6500k.

5. Your temperature is a little high, the 70s are ideal, but depending on strain i think your temperature is not the problem.

You say your 400w is 12 to 18 inches from the top of the canopy. Try to keep it 18 inches away, for the time being. Clones and seedling dont need to be bombarded with high intencity light until they are showing good health.

I would recommend topping the plants that are growing faster than the others plants, to even the top canopy out.

All bottom leaves on clones will turn yellow and fall off. Clones that haven't established a good nest of roots use the sugars (food) from the leaves to survive. They need that extra bit of enery from the leaves to grow and to grow roots. You can foilar feed, i've never done it, so somebody else might give advice on that. Plus, clones can take full strength nutrients when they establish roots, so dont be afraid to give it to them.

As want Mr growman said, 6400k CFLs are brilliant for starting seedlings and clones off. But theres no harm in using your HPS at your present stage of growing. For all the amount stretching your plant does under a HPS during veg is no big deal. I use MH when i come off CFLs, but i use HPS 2 weeks before flowering (during veg). I do that for the simple fact, that i couldnt be bothered buying a bigger MH lighting system for when my plant out grow the smaller MH system. My plant can't be any healthier going into flowering.

I'd say top the bigger plants, and, even though you have an air cooled hood, keep the lamp 18 inches from the top of the canopy. Then when you see the plants are adapting better to the HID, lower it little by little, 14 inches from the top canopy would be fine for a new 400w HPS lamp.