I have one question for you growers....actually like 15

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by masterdebater49, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Originally I started to write one or two questions as I smoked a blunt, than this happened....

this grow is in my signature that I have questions about...First time grower. want to do this right!

I bought 1/2 gallon pots to start my plants in and than do one transplant into a 3gal fabric pot.

- I am starting to think the 3 gal is too small or maybe not?

my tent is 6.5 feet high. if you minus a foot for the light and a foot and a half for my 3 gal container and stand i will put it on. that leaves about 4 feet of plant height.

I know the rule of thumb is 1 gallon per foot of plant right?....
    -just wondering if I am cutting it too close and I should go with 5 gallon. I dont want to restrict anything.

- I have the seeds available now to do either 4 plants in the tent or 6 smaller ones...doing Six smaller plants sounds fun do you think I can fit them in my tent? 2x4x6

- is it bad to repot or transplant at any certain point in the grow? like maybe just before the flip or like early flowering possibly? or when is it ideal

-also how do you know how high to put your screen from your..(soil level i guess?) or does it depend on the size of your tent?

-does anyone know of a good cheap sort of stand for my containers that can also act as a drain? something with holes the container can sit on and my saucers can fit underneath it so i never have to move the plant to drain runoff if needed.

-when doing multi strain sCrog 4 to 6 plants. do you find its difficult to keep plants the same height?
    and what if I have plants maybe weeks apart in age for whatever reason will this make the scrog tough to manage? ive never done this and i dont want to screw anything up!

-is 20-30% humidity for veg way to low?

- Using tap water and the fox farm nutes only (fox farm ocean soil also), will i need addition cal/mag nutes at the ready ?

-exactly how much dolomite lime would you add to a 3 gallon pot of fox farm ocean.

2. What Watt light?

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. 400 watt light, im getting it like 20 inches away right now great temps  >.<

4. #4 rain dancer, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    sorry for the weird post, but on an iPad and tried to answer all your qs.

5. In a 2x4 under a 400 I would personally suggest 4 plants in 5gal pots.  I would transfer to final pot the sooner the better...maybe 2-3 sets of fan leaves max.  I wouldn't worry about drainage in fabric pots if there's runoff they'll soak it back up later...try and get higher humidity for veg but your plants will grow in 20-30%...I don't scrog or use nutes/ff products so i'll leave those ?'s for someone else

6. I wouldn't scrog. Topping, LST, crimping, bending, tying, etc. That's my game. You can get a SOG or scrog effect without all the wires. Once the bud starts forming you just intertwine branches to help hold each other up, and use some stakes. It makes me happy when I have to stake a bud to keep it from falling over. That's always a win in my book. I'd personally go with 4 plants in that space. I personally don't like my space humid. Especially in flower. In veg I don't really worry about it, but in flower if it gets above 30% I start being mindful of it, and anytime it's high I try to bring it down. When flowering I prefer a nice low humidity in the room. CalMag will be a definitely with those nutes. CalMag is great stuff anyways. My plants love that stuff. 

7. Lots of good info guys.

Damn I'm so torn between 3 and 5 gal pots I keep getting mixed answers.

8. #8 MyDogSmokesWeed, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
    Honestly, I go back and forth as well. If I plan to have a veg that isn't quite as long I'll go 3 gallons. If I plan to veg awhile I go 5 gallon. Just depends though. My garden is mixed right now. I have a couple mother plants in 5 gallons that I took clones from and those clones are in 18 gallon DCW. A few other plants I started later than the mothers and they're in 3 gallons. It really just depends for me. I leave it up to my veg time. 

9. 4 plants. 3 gallon pots

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Generally speaking bigger pot bigger yield...but if you're only veggin for 2 weeks you'll be fine with 3gal...

11. This is my first time so I'm not sure how long ill veg for. If I was doing all 6 plants maybe 2 week veg would work ? And if I do the 4 plants than based on other grows I'm watchin it seems at least 4. But hey we will see when the beans arrive this week :)

Lovin all the posts guys for a second I thought I would get no love !

12. #12 TheAnswer121, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
    pretty sure that even if you only veg for 2 weeks, the plants still have to be mature enough to flower. so in a sense it'll take even longer because it'll be on 12/12 sooner. especially in soil. jm $.02

someone correct me please if this is just a myth :confused_2:

Depends what's meant by 2 week veg I suppose. If you waited until the plant was actually a plant, then possibly, but IDK. Personally I think it would be a complete waste to veg that short. I like trees. 

14. Ya I consider it a seedling till around 3 sets of fans...that's usually when the shops take em and sell em as starts.  I lst so I always veg for a while...but I have a veg room so they cook until the ladies in the other room are finished...

15. so if i have a 2 week old NLblue, and a one week old NLblue (from seed. not a clone) and i start germinating my 4 new seeds tomorow
    (white widow,pineapple chunk,blueberry gum,northern light)...ill have 6 plants going in there, but only room for 4scrog plants.

i really want to grow the 4 new seeds but dont have the heart to chop down the really healthy 2 young NLblue plants I already have. but I only have room I think for 4 plants scrog in this tent....

what should i do with these 2 plants? if only all 4 sprouted id have a nice grow started.

16. don't kill plants unless they're male...don't germ all your new seeds...

17. lol im so baked and so torn...its just that I really want to SCROG and all the plants need to be the same age.

maybe ill do individual scrogs? idk i cant kill this plant.

18. If they're too tall top em bro...

19. You can get an even canopy using LST instead of a SCROG. Tie each branch down to the pot and you can move the plants around if you need to. You can also use LST to get a taller plant to be the same height as a shorter plant to get an even canopy

20. true, i thought about this but since its my first grow im just not sure exactly how to go about it...maybe ill top the oldest plant twice and the new plants only once or something....