i have no clue.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by budBUDD, Nov 13, 2009.

1. this mite be a dumb question but whatever...is there anyway of determining a plants gender by the amount of fingers on a plants leaves? for example if the crop is two and a half foot tall and has 9 fingered leaves. could this mean its more likely to be female?

any info is appreciated. thanks

-bud

2. I don't think so, you really gotta wait for the balls or hairs to show. However I have noticed that all the male plants I have ever grown always grow taller waaay faster then the females if that helps at all.

3. wow that's true^

but its genetics

4. k. so ive already started to see little green hairs by the splits on the branches. this is female correct?

5. The hairs will be white.

6. yea sure u got a grow journal with pics? or can u post some on this thread

7. ill have to send them to my email from my phone. it mite take a few. gotta figure it out

8. man im technology retarded

9. Hey there, I'm new to growing myself but I read these forums and grow journals constantly. The only sure fire way to tell what sex the plant is is by waiting until after it begins flowering or preflowering. Plants will typically show sex after a week or two of 12/12 lighting so thats when you want to keep an eye out.

FEMALES-
    You'll see white pistils (thread-like protrusions) at the nodes (where the branches meet the main stem) of the plant.

MALES-
    The pollen sacs at the nodes become visible after flowering, usually in less time than a female will show her sex.

Sometimes pistils will protrude from a single sac at the node, but a cluster of small sacs is an absolute indication of a male.

As for what you were wondering about the fingers on the fan leaves, its not related to plant sex.

The first set of leaves after the cotyledons (embryonic oval shaped leaves) will have one finger each, the next leaf set will have 3, then 5, then 7 and if the plants remains in vegetative growth for long enough, 9 fingered fan leaves.

Coming back to preflowers, these occur usually when the plant has vegetated for a lengthy amount of time and are perfectly normal.

Should answer some questions, lemme know if you have any more.

10. hey bud, I'm new to the city and somehow lost the message you had sent me so i'm just gonna reply in the thread again.

How far along is the plant? If your're worried about having to chop it, you should be fine as long as you do it when you see the sac clusters.

If your plant is young, those green hairs may actually be leaf sets that start at the nodes. Usually preflowers arent seen until at leas 5-6 weeks of vegetative growth. I'm not actually sure if preflower pistils would be green, but they're definitely white if the plant is actually flowering.

:smoking::)

11. good looks man. that did re-assure me. i guess im just gonna wait until flowering to be positive.

12. o yhea bear one more thing to kinda help you out a little. if you want to see messages posted by other people on your page you can simly click on you name where ever you posted a reply or thread.hope i could help you as much as you helped me

-bud:smoking:

13. thanks man! Got it now

14. #17 Gardenmaster, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
    Here is a pic of the irst sign of female, apeared 3 days afer 12/12 on my SLH. The green spike will be on both maleand female, the white hair will be on females only.:wave:

I guess I can't attache the picture because it's already been posted in my grow journal.

15. one word. beautiful.:smoking: