Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I have never heard people say that

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by SirOmniscient, Sep 8, 2013.

1. #1 SirOmniscient, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
    Where i live iv'e never heard anyone use the word "dank" or "kief" 

Do they only use these expressions in America?

2. where you from mate?

Born in england and travel there quite abit but living in ireland atm

4. We use those terms in Canada.

5. Oh. Well, yeah, id have to say that both these terms are commonly used in america. At least where im from.

what do you guys call your 'kief' then? you know the powder resin type stuff that is collected from the grinded bud throught the use of a grinder. (hope i made sense)

We just call it "crystal" or "crystals"

7. Damn dude that's super interesting. I understand people have different slangs like dro, bud, weed, but I didn't know people didn't call kief, well, kief.

Thought it was like the actual name for that hahaha

Man i dunno if it is called kief or not but everyone i know has always called it crystal

9. Lol the only thing people refer to crystal in america is crystal meth

10. Well I mean if a bud has a lot on it you could say 'wow that has a lot of crystals' but if we buy some kief or what's in my grinder then we don't call it crystals, just kiefer southerland

11. Kief is an old term, goes way back, probably has it's origins in the Middle East or Asia.  I bought some once, in the 1960's, and that was the first and last time I ever saw any that was sold commercially although I'm aware that people make it and sell it today.  

I don't know exactly when "dank" came into the stoner vocabulary, but I hate the word and never use it.  

12. Hey man, what was the cannabis culture like in the 60s? What were the prices like? Were there many strains, or just a few? Overall, how does then and now differ? Just curious, thanks man

13. #13 garrison68, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
    There were not as many choices for most smokers, as virtually all of it all was imported.  I only started in the late 1960's, and most weed was from Mexico.  I never had the legendary Acapulco Gold, or Panama Red.    Michocan, from Mexico, was my first really good weed.  I paid about 15 bucks for a quarter ounce, which was pretty expensive for 1969 or thereabouts.  An ounce of regular Mexican could cost as little as 20-25 dollars, probably even cheaper on the West Coast.  This was neither dirt weed, or great, it was good enough for most people.    

There was a type of legendary weed from India, some say Africa, called Black Gunji, which was one of the most expensive, at $100 an ounce.  This type had been in NYC as far back as the 1940's, possibly longer, from what I have heard and read.  I only had it once or twice, around 1972 or thereabouts.  It was very good, unlike anything I've had since.  I heard that they'd bury it in a certain type of soil to cure it, but that may have just been a myth.  

By the early 1970's, Jamaican and Colombian weed were starting to take the place of Mexican, at least on the East Coast, with the Colombian being the better of the two.   An ounce of Colombian gold or red was usually $50-$65.  Pounds of it were around $500.  There was weed being sold as "commercial" Colombian, but I suspected that it was simply better than average Mexican being sold for about $300 a lb, and $35-$40 an ounce in smaller quantities.   Most Jamaican was even cheaper, with Mexican being the cheapest by the mid 1970's.      

Hash was usually available, with Lebanese Red and Blonde costing around 100 bucks an ounce.  There were others, such as Afghani, which was black and brown, and cost about the same as the Lebanese types.  The best hash was the Nepalese Temple Balls, and Tibetan Finger, both black and they cost about $175 to $200 an ounce in the early-mid 1970's.  

Thai Stick was one of the most popular of connoisseur weeds, and the best of it was similar in price to primo hash, $175 - $200 an ounce.  The primo Thai disappeared by the early 1980's, replaced by imitations on small sticks, loose buds, and "Chocolate Thai" which were not nearly as good as the original Thai Stick.  

By the early 1980's, Hawaiian weed started showing up for sale, and around this time we were also getting our first mainland domestic strains.  The days of imported weed were over, by the late 1980's.   

14. Wow thanks for taking all that time to write that out man.
    Really interesting

What was the view on weed at that time? Like was it really easy to get hooked up, or how would someone typically respond to weed?

I guess I always wonder about hw people around the time of Jesus used marijuana

15. @[member="garrison68"] Thats really interesting man  :smoke:

It wasn't very hard to find connections in NYC back then, I guess I was lucky to know people that had access to the good varieties of weed and hash.  There were droughts, and sometimes you had to settle for average weed or below average Mexican.  It's a shame that Mexico has a bad reputation for weed quality, they really are capable of producing some of the best stuff in the world.  

Because there were stronger psychedelics, it helped to create a higher demand for good weed.  The weed-smuggling business also got nasty with the rise of popularity of a certain unmentionable associated with discos and rock musicians of that time.  This unfortunate turn of events extended down to the smaller dealers, as well.   Other non-psychedelic unmentionables also were becoming popular.  I saw a lot of people who were involved with weed go down the wrong path,  things really changed in a short period, and dealing became more dangerous due to the influx of other drugs during the excess of the late 1970's through early 1980's.     

Old copies of High Times are interesting, I still have a half-dozen issues or so from those times.  The pictures of weed are terrible, though, and not indicative of the high quality of stuff that was available.  Photographing weed was not generally done, because there were no digital cameras and, unless you developed the pics yourself, you had to send them out.  

17. I think they are used in other places, but a lot of stoners use those terms. Nonstoners say dank sometimes without knowing what they're talking about too. haha