I have a venting problem

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ihctoab, Sep 29, 2009.

1. My grow room is located in the basement, and my house is a 2 units semi detached house (i own both units, I live in one and rent the other one) so my basement is adjacent to my neighboor's basement. I want to control odor, so I got a 480 cfm in-line fan and a carbon filter.

The thing is, my basement is cold, I have a heater in the grow room to keep the temp high enough, but if I vent trough the carbon filter then to the basement, and from the basement, to the room, I will have a hard time keeping the temp high enough in the room.

What can I do, besides heating the whole basement ?

2. Thats a tough one to answer man. You need to provide more details in order to get some accurate answers. Such as:

How large is your grow room?
    Are you using passive intake?
    What type of lighting are you using?
    What are the average temperatures in the room day and night? As well as lights on n lights off?

Answer these and you might get some more accurate answers. Good luck bro!

3. I agree with tyler in that a little more info would be helpful for those to answer your question. BUT i will make a couple suggestions. first off, i believe your problem is that you are venting out the heated air that keeps the temp up? if that is the case then you obviously need to replace that warmer air. if you do not want to heat the entire basement then you need to get some warm air vented INTO the room. i would suggest grabbing a couple 4" inline duct fans and just run some flexible duct up to the ceiling and grab some air from a room on top of your basement. one fan can pull the air from the upstairs room and maybe another fan (depending on how far you are running) can force the air into your grow room. also, like tyler suggested, your lights should keep the temp up while they are on, so you will only need to steal this air from a warmer place while the lights are off. well just a couple things to consider.... may not have helped at all. but good luck! CHEERS!

- JACOB

4. Thanks Jacob, I tought about pulling warmer air from upstairs, and that is probably what I am going to do...

Tyler: My room is about 10x10x7, passive intake yeah, since I only have a fan that exhaust right now, the intake is passive, and is achieved by the room not being sealed right now. There is not an actual vent installed. I have a 1k HPS light in there (with ballast) and a couple CFLs. I don't know the average temps with and without light(s) right now because the setup is not completed yet and there are still some things to install/decide.

Thanks for your interest

Pictures will come

5. Hmmm... You should do a trial run with all your stuff plugged in (Lights) and see how the temperature changes, It should be pretty big difference in temps.

6. Is it important that the temp be stable during the 12/12 cycle ? I mean if the room is like 25-26C during the light period, should it stay the same during the dark period also ?