I have a thrips problem

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Devo86, Jul 8, 2017.

1. well after some searching online and then catching one of the lil bastards in the act I do in fact have a thripe problem. Now I'm growing all autos. The plants that are tainted are 2 chemdog autos in flower about half way through their life. I'm not to worried about them as from what I've read (and I can certainly be wrong) you don't want to spray anything on flowering plants. My concern is for the next crop I have going that is about 2 weeks old and not in flower. Can I just spray this stuff I bought on those plants and that it? Any special care I have to take? If anyone has any good suggestions it would be much appreciated. I bought some fly strips to get the bigger mobile bastards and this spray to kill their young. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Insecticidal Soap won't cut it bud. Get yourself some Spinosad, which is rated for use in Organic gardening.

You can buy this as either of two products; either "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" or Captain Jacks Deadbug Brew". Both contain the desired bacterium.

This is what you need so get either one and follow the labels directions. More is not better.

J

• Like Like x 2
  3. Will order some now. Thanks for the rely. To clarify, I shouldn't use this on the flowering plants?

4. theyre gonna gargle that shit like scope and spit right back at you. lol, just messing, thatll kill the ones you see but theyre gonna come back in like 2-3days when the next wave of eggs hatch. they lay them in between the leaves so hard to kill with that. spinosad definitely works better but it seems like these guys are starting to build strong resistance so spray a lot of it and high dose. little doses help them build tolerance

• Like Like x 2
  5. id buy one more poison to rotate too. neem if trying to stay organic. sticky traps wont even cause a dent in population. then after 2 weeks of spraying stick a NoPest Strip (legit toxic poison) and hang it somewhere inside the canopy. make sure nothing vents to house and dont every stay in room for more than 4hours (according to label). this completely wiped out my thrip problem. havent seen them in a month. a buddy of mine sprays triazicide on his early to stay pest free. claims to have super thrips that willingly gargle spinosad and neem. DEF wouldnt recommend that

• Like Like x 2
  6. oh and ladybugs wont do shit lol. the thrips are too fast for them. they jump around. already tried that too

• Like Like x 1
  7. It can be used up until several weeks from harvest but MUST be sprayed while lights are off and the plants must be dry before lights come on.

You must spray every several days or, as said above, eggs will hatch and you're back to square one.

YOU MUST BREAK THE EGG CYCLE.

Also, buy the Concentrate and NOT the "ready to use spray bottle". Trust me on this. The "ready to use" bottle will be gone in ten minutes but the concentrate will get you through the entire process.

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. I ordered the dead bug brew as well. I'm almost tempted to throw the flowering plants outside and let em finish out there and go to town with the spray once it arrives on the vegging plants. Do thrips actually impact yield If they get that bad?

9. Haha I literally just bought the ready to use bottle. Well looks like I'm making these guys a few buck when I reorder

• Like Like x 1
  10. yeah dont be that sucker and buy the spray bottle like most of us have in the beginning. always buy the concentrated version. youll save so much more money and get better coverage with a sprayer tank. get a little 2liter hand pump one. (also using captain jack).

and as said above spray with lights off. if you spray with lights on it wont burn your plant but it will make the main ingredient less effective. spinosad breaks down under sunlight (guessing same with grow lights) and wont be able to soak into leaves properly. def dont spray neem with lights on cuz that can actually burn the leaves (oil + light = stress)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. #11 skullbasher23, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    i want to say that it defintiely affects yeild. out of all my six plants, the one that had it the worst was always lacking growth compared to the rest (samemother plant/strain).

it took a whole extra two weeks for that one plant to look exactly like what the other plants looked like 2 weeks before. 2 less weeks of healthy vegging definitely put a dent in yield

12. after killing thrips I noticed that the leaves looked much greener and vibrant. they were also physically bigger. when the plant was infested with thrips the leaves were never getting that big. the leaves that had it the worst started to show mag def symptoms

13. Fuck.. I thought my 1500 lady bugs would take care of all the pests in my garden.. I don't even know wtf a thrips is lol... time to do some research..

Sent from my SM-G928T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Thank man much apreciate on the response. I currently run my autos for 24/0 and now seems like s good of time as ever to go to 20/4

15. yours dont have them. not an infestation at least. you know its bad when the leaves have zebra like stripes that gleam in the sun. thrips eat that part of the plant that bounces green light from leaf. uggh, i wish I could explain it more scientifically lol

16. Are these any symptoms I should be worrying about? These are like the worse looking leaves I have on my plants beside the withering 1s I cut off after watering [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G928T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Spinosad sprayed on flowering plants with (intense) lights on can turn white pistils brown.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have pretty much the same problem man it sucks since I'm on my first grow. I transplanted from outside to inside and always had the little white looking squiggly lines on the leaves but never thought much of it. I let it veg inside for like a month before it started getting any worse and it started getting bad fast. Did some research since I had no idea what the hell was going on and determined t was either aphids or thrips. I read it's good to use 2-3 different treatments 4 days apart to get the best results. I started with neem oil and that seemed to slow it down but started getting bad again a couple days later. Followed up with insecticide spray 4 days after the neem oil with small beneficial results. Ordered the Monterey garden spray(spinosad) which arrived yesterday and sprayed down my girl pretty good with it. I wanted to finish my treatments with a bang since all my research told me spinosad was the bees knees in exterminating these fuckers. I haven't had a Chance to check up on her today so first thing in the morning ill be straight to the grow room! I'll post some pics man. Good luck with your growing homie

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spinosad is great. Lady bugs will ravage them, I'm usingthem to control the thrips in my greenhouse. I actually just realeased some today, they started going to town. The thrips are fast, but can only move so far, and with 3-1 lady to thrip they have nowhere to go. They will eat the adults and slower moving nymphs that can't fly away.

But the real thrips killer for flower.

1,000 Live Neoseiulus Amblyseius Cucumeris - Guaranteed Live Delivery! | eBay

You'll never see them again.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I have had good results with Captn Jacks.

• Like Like x 2