I have a question for you snake owners

Discussion in 'General' started by MyLighterIsBrok, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Sweet :) Don't see any other snake guys in this thread.

I was in your position years ago OP. I had a huge fascination for spiders, lizards, snakes and such. It was becoming an every day thing, I would go to the stores just to stare and leave empty handed.

My mother does NOT play the whole "creepy crawly" thing. She sees a spider? Kills it. Snake? Head chopped off (No lie. She thinks its the only sure fire way to kill them). She HATES the fucking things.

I was 11 years old at the time and had recently gotten a bit of money(Dad sold car that he wanted to give to me, gave me the money instead of car). What did I do? I bought my fucking spider I wanted. She came home and FLIPPED! Ha! We have an awesome relationship though. I am 21 years old.... my mother is not even 40 yet. She has a great sense of humor so it was funny as shit to see her get all creeped out.
    Since then my collection has grown. My mother still has a hatred for them though :/

To answer your question though... make your mother happy. If she will be fun with it and just laugh at you then by all means go for it. However, if your mother REALLY hates the damn thing... just wait until you move out.

Another thing: Not trying to start a pissing match by any means but... have you looked into the care for a snake? I purchased a normal ball for my first snake, and spent well over 400 bucks for a pretty basic set up. They can get expensive FAST. I seen somewhere in this thread about the whole "biting" thing.

Just go to the store and get bit man haha. I have a local shop with some cool ass guys. Before purchasing whatever the hell it is I am buying, I ask about the bite (It's not IF you get bit, it's WHEN you get bit) and they just have the thing clamp down on my arm skin. Craziest thing I have been bitten by was a baby croc. Amazing little things.

Anywho, have fun bro. Good luck! Sorry for the long post :smoke:

2. That's probably the best Python to get, that, it doesn't grow big and doesn't require that much food. I think you should get it when you have your own place, bare in mind that if it gets ill it will cost you thousands.

3. no such thing as a green ball python noob. thats an emerald boa and your thinking of a green tree python

these are green tree pythons
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Way to be a dick, bro :(

He didn't know.

5. #25 GaiaGuy, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
    One of my good friends back in Canada has a BP and I really like them, too. They are such a great snake, so sweet and docile… well, most of them are. They all have their own personalities, just like any other creature. My buddy's BP is a real sweatheart. (Though rats may disagree. heh)

Before you decide to purchase one, perhaps you would like to first consider these questions:

- Are you prepared to make a potentially 30+ year commitment?

- Are you going to be going off to school? If so, where will it live? Most dorms won’t let you bring pets.

- Will you be able to secure housing in the future that is pet friendly?

- Will you be able to secure a stable source of food for him/her? (If you are in the US there are places online you can buy frozen mice/rats, so it isn’t as big an issue as if you were in some European countries.)

If you do decide to purchase a BP of your own, I suggest you visit a local reptile expo. You will be able to buy directly from the breeder, perhaps even have a chance to meet the snake's parents (breeders sometimes bring them along), and you will save money. Like most expos, the dealers will often offer special deals to interested buyers.

I went with my buddy to pick up his BP at a reptile expo and we got to meet the mommy. Damn, she was a big lady. He also saved $150 by asking if the seller would match the price of a competitor a few booths down. Not a bad score!

I suggest you sign up with an online ball python community, such as Ball-Pythons.net, and get in touch with other enthusiasts. Some of them are very dedicated and can offer tips and advice that will really help.

6. [quote name='"SoloG35"']Sweet :) Don't see any other snake guys in this thread.

I was in your position years ago OP. I had a huge fascination for spiders, lizards, snakes and such. It was becoming an every day thing, I would go to the stores just to stare and leave empty handed.

My mother does NOT play the whole "creepy crawly" thing. She sees a spider? Kills it. Snake? Head chopped off (No lie. She thinks its the only sure fire way to kill them). She HATES the fucking things.

I was 11 years old at the time and had recently gotten a bit of money(Dad sold car that he wanted to give to me, gave me the money instead of car). What did I do? I bought my fucking spider I wanted. She came home and FLIPPED! Ha! We have an awesome relationship though. I am 21 years old.... my mother is not even 40 yet. She has a great sense of humor so it was funny as shit to see her get all creeped out.
    Since then my collection has grown. My mother still has a hatred for them though :/

To answer your question though... make your mother happy. If she will be fun with it and just laugh at you then by all means go for it. However, if your mother REALLY hates the damn thing... just wait until you move out.

Another thing: Not trying to start a pissing match by any means but... have you looked into the care for a snake? I purchased a normal ball for my first snake, and spent well over 400 bucks for a pretty basic set up. They can get expensive FAST. I seen somewhere in this thread about the whole "biting" thing.

Just go to the store and get bit man haha. I have a local shop with some cool ass guys. Before purchasing whatever the hell it is I am buying, I ask about the bite (It's not IF you get bit, it's WHEN you get bit) and they just have the thing clamp down on my arm skin. Craziest thing I have been bitten by was a baby croc. Amazing little things.

Anywho, have fun bro. Good luck! Sorry for the long post :smoke:[/quote]

She's not my mother.. btw I won't call her that. She's a step demon. If I were to approch her with a fake snake shed go billistic. No. Lie. My real mom wouldn't have a problem with it. But she smokes inside the house so I wouldn't want to put a snake in that situation where it became hard for it to breathe.
    I know a lot of breeders that would GIVE me the tank and cyprus and heating lamp and snake for just 50 bucks. I just need approal by the rents. But I'm just gonna wait till I move out

7. Guys guys guys!!!… I am friends and employed by FOUR different breeders. I know what I would be getting into.
    I LOVE BP's their amazing creatures.
    I know what I need to take care of them.

I just wanted some advice on the simple question on wether I should wait.

I'm Gonna Wait. :) thanks for the concern tho :p

8. Get a bearded dragon, just show you're family pictures of baby ones and it'll for sure be a yes. That's how I have my now 2 foot long Ozzy <3:)

9. [quote name='"SotalyTober"']Get a bearded dragon, just show you're family pictures of baby ones and it'll for sure be a yes. That's how I have my now 2 foot long Ozzy <3:)[/quote]

I don't like lizzards lolololol they scare me