I have a few questions

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Gbaby19, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I have a few questions about vapes. Im new here so if this isnt the right place for this thread, my bad.

I understand the overall concept of vaping but a few things are still a little hazy.
    First of all, what is used to hold the herb while its in use? Does the green actually come in contact with the object used to heat it? From what I have gathered the herb doesnt burn at the 350-380 degree range so I would assume that it could come in contact with the heating device. Correct me if im wrong. I am just looking to fully comprehend the workings of a vape.

Thanks for any and all responses.

2. Most vapes work a little bit differently, but on my vaporizer (vaporgenie) there is a closed bowl that holds the bud, and no heat source comes in contact with the bud at all. I think this is the same for most vapes.

3. Generally it doesn't touch the heating element. With nice vapes you draw air over a ceramic or stainless steel heating element so it heats up to the desired temp and then runs through the bud. There a Buncha different types of vapes though. Nonetheless it's amazing

4. So ceramic and/or stainless steel are your best heating elements? also most vapes heat the bowl that holds the green? not just heat flowing through the green via suction?

5. The bud heats up in a bowl but doesn't come in contact with heat necessarily. It heats and chemically changes the oil, unlike fire that burns the bud and causes carcinogens.

6. So you breathe in the vapors of the oils instead of smoke

7. I am looking to make my own vape so i just want to firgure out all the details. What is the best material to use as a bowl. ceramic?

8. I'm gonna go ahead and tell you that making your own vape is a horrible process. Unless you have a lot of time and some money to waste on temporary materials, there's no benefit to it that actually purchasing one wouldn't overcome. You can make one out of a lightbulb, but it gives you a terrible headache and works awful, the other one's I've seen are temporary and take a lot of materials.

9. Ive always been really handy so I dont think it should be too troublesome. Im doing all the reasearch possible in order to make it safe to use. Also wouldnt the headache be attributed to the materials and chemicals used in lightbulbs?

10. The process involves using a saltwater mixture to dissolve the argon frosting in the bulbs and make them 'safe' for use, but I have no idea. Theoretically, all you need in a chamber to contain the herb, a way to heat it properly and a way to draw it out. For the heat, I'd recommend a digital heat gun, for the bud's place, use something glass. You could use a tube for the whip. Seems hard as hell, though. Good luck, post pictures if you manage it.

11. I'll definitely do post some pics up. I actually have another heating element in mind that is right in the desired range for vaping and it only costs about 3 bucks. I have an overall concept in mind and after it gets from paper to an actual device I'll fine tune it. It shouldn't take more than a week or so to actually make it once the designing is done.

12. So you can make one using a Heat Gun from your local hardware store. You have to get a bowl large enough to fit over the head unit but your LHS should have something like that. This is hard to use and a good heat gun (Variable Temperature Heat Gun with LED Digital Display-8988-20 at The Home Depot) will cost you about $150 because you have to be able to control the Temps. Most just give you 1 temp or if they are variable they have pre set settings like 200-500-750-1000f. Plus you have to have a huge bowl to go over the tip so you will use more herb.

You can order cheap Vapes online for less then $50, mine was from EBay and it was $35ish and I still use it 3 years later. I have burnt up mopre exp units but this cheap one still works great.

check this video out. The guy is from Norml and he talks about how the vape works, how to use it and why to use it.

Good luck either way and post pictures when you get them. I would not use a light bulb no matter how clean you got it, that is MHO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9luNVYlT_E]Vaporizers - YouTube[/ame]

13. I made a piss poor schematic of an idea that I came up with in five minutes. I don't see any reason it couldn't work if you had the time/materials.

Tools:
    Heat Gun
    Electric Tape
    Gutted Lightbulb
    Tubing
    Imagination to fill in the blanks

Take the light bulb and find a way to attach it to the end of the heat gun using electric tape. Make sure you have a good seal and then cut a small hole in the end of lightbulb, then take your tubing and attach it to the bulb once again with a good seal. I guess you'd have to remove the tape everytime you added weed to the chamber, or find a way to where you could just hold it on the heat source. You could also attach a platform for the weed inside the bulb if you were a pro stoner and had the time. Most Heat Guns can be set to 350F, 400F, etc. So if you just activated the heat, waited for the bulb to fill with vapor and sucked it out through the tube, you basically have a full functioning vape.

Attached Files:

14. Uh ya what He^ said.

Could also just take a soldering iron and hover over a bowl and it will vaporize and activate the THC.

15. does anyone have suggestions of where to get a good bowl?

16. If your local head shop doesn't have it you will need to figure out what size you need and look online. The bigger shops should carry it though.