I have $1000

Discussion in 'General' started by smoke blunts, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Hey GC,

I have $1000. How do I turn it into more?

Everyone knows about:

1. eBay trading
    2. Stocks

Is there any way, as a full time college student who also works, I can put this money to use for me? Can I employ myself at such a young age without any immediate skills? Does anyone have any suggestions?

As flamboyant as it sounds, I've been contemplating making and selling candles. My girlfriend and I both love candles (perfect for hiding smell), the materials are really inexpensive, the construction process is really simple, and there is much room for profit. I'd be happy to go into #1 or #2, if anyone had any pointers that would actually make it worthwhile. Or I'd be happy to pursue other routes.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I attend school for business and really excel in analytics and numbers. I also realize that there truly may not be an option, but I'd love to brainstorm.

Any suggestions?

2. You can either sell candles, be an honest worker. Or you can become a con artist, con artists are bad ass. Unless you believe in karma.

3. Wait, employ yourself?

You said you also work.

4. #4 khm916, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
    you could do that or you could buy a 1/2lb and push it

There is no Discussion of Dealing in the city!

5. The only real advice i can think of, I cant give you on GC....But it seems youd rather go the legal route by your post. ;)

But i do know that my dad gets a little extra money by purchasing random items on clearance and sell them at a slightly less than original price on ebay. It seems to work, but is not really a quick way to make money.

6. Lol, I am actually looking at doing the same thing. As long as it makes money, I don't care how gay it sounds.

As for eBay, there can be good money in it. My dad had an eBay "shop" when I lived at home. He'd go to auctions and buy whole boxes for dirt cheap and sell the shit on eBay. If you know what you're looking at, go for it. Hell, he bought a box for 50 cents once and found an old toy tin rocket that went for $500.

And if you're going to grow a vagina like me and make candles, you should also look into smelly jellies.

7. Selling bud isn't really an option for me, sorry fellas.

And yes, I work part time along with class... but I still have free time, if you'd believe it. And if I can make this into something worthwhile, like a business, then I would be willing to quit my job and support myself.

Again, I wasn't sure if there would really be an option for me to employ myself or at least make a decent amount of side cash. I'm not looking to support myself off this money, but I am looking to stack some chips. I was hoping maybe someone came across a goldmine in their personal experiences.

8. I suggest stocks for long term. Problem is you need a lot of financial knowhow for that

In your case, go with the business idea. Do some research on owning a business and try it out. This also goes into the ebay thing since you make a store there. A website is very helpful too. Since you are a college kid, making candles that hide/eliminate smoke smell can be very profitable for you.

9. Haha, exactly bro... if it makes money, I'll do it (no homo).

Interesting idea regarding the auctions- I just may look into that.

And don't underestimate candles. I picked them because I light at least one candle a day, so I know just through that what goes into a good candle for the purposes of quality management... and as I said, the profit margin is great.

10. I actually am looking into stocks hardcore. I'm quite familiar with them, but am timid about relying on it.

With a starting sum of $1000, could I really make it grow into something meaningful at this point? I'll be looking into long term stocks when I'm older. For now, I'd be more interested in a day-trader type of philosophy. More moves in shorter periods of time.

11. CBIS:wave::smoking:

12. I had a list of sites with tons of smells, but the only one I could find for now was Wholesale Fragrance Oils, Candle Supplies, Incense, Body Oils, Perfume. If you do look into smelly jellies, find the right resources and all the materials would cost less than $2 for one. Probably less if you buy in bigger bulk. Take them to a weekend flea market a clean house.

13. Hey man,

Me and my brother made 3000 bucks outta 1000, we bought a professional donut hole maker and sold those bitches 50 cents a piece. People go apeshit dude

14. Elaborate!

15. All you need is the initial investment in equipment and materials. Im sure you can do that for candles

16. That's actually a great idea. How did you market them though? That would be my only concern, since the product life isn't great for food. Then again you could probably build to order...

------

Here's something I'd like to know- do you need a permit to set up shop anywhere on public property? Would that be a state-specific law or a town-specific law?

17. Theres a big market for iPod Touched buy them cheap and sell them for as much as you can sell them for thats what I did a while back.:cool:

18. repair ipods/iphones...

or xboxs

or set up a scam where you charge 35$ to fix an xbox, either sit on it for a few hours or strip it, return it saying its fixed, take the 35$ lol...not speaking from experience or anything ;)

and CBIS is the stock ticker for a low priced mmj stock i am making the basis of my portfolio...its at .08...if it moves .002 up, and you have 10,000 shares (800$) invested, you just made 20$...with 4.50 to buy and to sell... thats 11$ a day...

just an example...but day trading is by far your best short term bet on which to lay a long term foundation

19. I dont mean to threadjack, but:
    I wouldnt suggest day-trading. You will lose your $1000 very quickly if you're not familiar with it.
    I traded for a securities trading firm for 6 months and made a whopping $56 - and that was with the $100 000 they let me play with.
    Its the best job in the world though if you have the knack for it - hundreds of books and thousands of hours later I realized it wasnt for me.
    You should really look into trading firms if you are at all interested.

20. i sell propane and propane accessories :D

but honestly just invest it.