I Hate College Students Who Bitch About Working Less than an 8 Hour Shift

Discussion in 'General' started by TLF1088, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Wow that was a long title.

It's the truth though. I'm a college student who also happens to work. Now, I do work part-time during the school year, but I work full time during summer vacation, christmas break, spring break, etc. During the school year I work three days a week for 8 hour shifts.

Basically my job is the same during the school year as it is on vacation, the only difference is I work two extra days a week when I'm not in school.

I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing friends in their facebook or myspace status bitching because they have to work a 6 or a 7 hour shift.

A lot of people say college gets you ready for the real world, I disagree.

College educates you for the real world, actualy WORK is what PREPARES you for the real world.

Our youth is so fucking lazy.

I manage to do my job, go to classes, study for classes, read at least 2-3 books for my own pleasure per week and still have enough time for my hobbies, plus plenty of time for smoking weed, drinking beers, and just getting fucked up in general.

If you're complaining about working a couple of 6 hour shifts per week while you're in college then you're a fucking pussy.

There are NO EXCUSES.

You're a pussy. Except the facts.

*end rant*

2. work cuts in to quality beer pong time

3. Dude everyone has their own limits as to what they're capable of. People are different, and we sure as hell handle stress in different ways. It's a bitch for most people to handle that excruciating course load, and then they have to look forward to a 6-hour shift? I mean they're getting their shit done, so if they want to bitch about it, it shouldn't be that big of a deal bro.

4. i work three hour shirts. its great! :cool:

5. all I gotta say is enjoy it while it lasts ;)

6. 1.) You are bitching. You are actually complaining about people who complain....

2.) Some people have more difficult classes maybe? When I was working 16 hours a week and taking EC 202 (econ), IAH 203 (latin american studies), ISP 207 (+ ISP 207L - the lab for it) - chemistry it was easy, just 4 classes but once I picked up Comm 100 I was swamped off my ass so just keep in mind someone might be taking like stt 315 or some crazy course and that is why they are complaining

7. Ok, yes I agree everyone is different.

I am good with managing time. It's something I excel at, and I guess it's wrong that I think everyone else should as well. We're all good and bad at different things. For instance I'm bad with managing my own money. Not a good thing when you're an Econ major, especially when you subscribe to the Austrian school of economics.

I should have been more clear with my point.

I hate college students who complain about working less than an 8 hour shift, but still go and get fucked up 3-4 times a week.

I can manage my time enough to get school, work, studying, reading, plus getting fucked up many times per week.

However, if you can't manage to do that, then instead of complaining you should cut down on your "fun time" and focus more on your work.

8. Yea I agree, but that problem is not specific to "our" generation.

9. No, no of course it's not. I'm not saying it has become more of a problem.

We've just reached a point where it's easy and exceptable to broadcast these views and behaviors to everyone and anyone.

10. #10 full melt, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
    So are you trying to say people aren't entitled to complain about their everyday lives if it doesn't meet your specific expectations?

I had physics, 2 maths, circuitry, general electronics and communications 5 days a week. Counting labs I had about 40 hours a week... You had better believe I complained about my part-time job...

Shit starting cutting into my homework it was even worse...

EDIT: Didn't see you addressed that point.. nevermind.

11. i feel yeah man... im enterring 2-300 level chemistry, calculus, physics and biology in the fall... work 35-50 hours a week too...

i still smoke drink andchill with friends tho. its all how you manage your time...

12. Right, it's all about time management.

I never think it's wrong for people to complain about things they have no control over. I complain about things I have no control over as well.

It's when people complain about things that they themselves could fix I get annoyed at.

13. I'm not a fan of anybody that complains about work period no matter how long you work. I sympathize but I don't like hearing about it... people that complain about the time of work piss me off the most... especially "dude I just did 12 hours".... whoop di doo. I've done 12's and I've done 4's and sometimes I've had a 4 take more out of me then a 12 so....

14. #14 mwdmb41, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
    OP, sounds like you are by no chance a math or science major, otherwise, you would barely be able to fit in the part-time job while maintaining grades (unless of course you were super brilliant and had no need to attend classes). I can tell you that I'm full-time pre-med, I work some weekends, and I referee local high-school games during the week, and at times I barely have the time to take a shit, let alone read two books a week. Sounds like someone needs to pick up their slack with courses :devious:
    p.s. not meant to be derogative, just wanted you to challenge yourself.

EDIT: Keep in mind that some kids in college put in well more than a full time work week by studying (60+ hours) so putting in time at a mind-numbing minimum wage job on the weekend would bring about some bitching. Us college kids aren't slaves we like to enjoy our weekends too!

15. They are probably hungover.:p

16. So, what? You want a gold star or something? Everything to say has already been said. Just because two people are in college doesn't mean they both have the same workload. One person can skate by doing maybe 2 hours of school work per night, another person may be staying up till midnight more often than not to finish what they need to finish.

17. well we complain about our 6-7 hour shifts because our jobs suck dick

i'd rather work a 9 hour shift at a job i love then a four hour shift at doller tree.

don't tell me i can't complain because i waste chunks of my life doing something i hate. i've wasted countless beautiful days standing behind a register listing to peoples bullshit.... andi can't quit, i need the money despratly.

thats why im goin to college to find something im gona like, instead of something that's just gona give me a shit load of money....im not lookin to stand around all day and expect to get paid, but i wana at least do something im intrested in.

18. That's exactly my point, he can't call someone out for being lazy for bitching about working, when they may have put in two times the work he has that week. (Defensive much?) I'm not grillin' you for not choosing to do what I've chosen to do with my life, I know it requires alot and I'm accepting of the challenge. The only reason I made an assumption that he may not be doing as much as he says is because he was making an assumption that college kids who bitch about work have no right to.

19. Let's not forget these are friends of mine. I know their work load, I know their majors. Not as good as they do perhaps but still....

I'm talking about people who go out and get smashed 3-4 times a week, but then complain they don't have time to do school work because they have to work a 7 hour shift at Wendy's today.

20. ^^Completely agreed, everyone knows those kids. (p.s. post wasn't meant to be derogatory toward you), I love listening to the Exercise Science (we all know this is a fancy term for a kid who wants to take gym class instead of regular class) in my Anatomy classes who complain about it being so hard, and how they can't get better than a 70% on their exam even if they study forever. Well, maybe if they didn't drink and party every night and take Dodgeball 101 during the day, that class may not seem so hard /end rant:
    :rolleyes: