I Had Such A Nasty Ego When I Was Younger.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by J_IntheMix, May 15, 2014.

1. #1 J_IntheMix, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    For some reason I looked up my old fb posts and I can't believe some of the things I used to say.
    I used to be so arrogant. I enjoyed feeling superior amongst my peers. I used my musical ability/academic knowledge as a way to impress everyone around me. No wonder why I pushed so many away. Combine my arrogance with drug use and I became a monster. I made enemies with people I used to consider good friends. Had I possessed the ability to see outside of my own selfish ways, I might not have burned those bridges.

As I lay here in this very moment I can honestly say that I am no longer that person. There is always going to be someone better than me, and I all I can do is learn from everyone around me. I don't have that attention - seeking attitude anymore. I try to help others as often as I can. I can accept other people's beliefs, even if I don't agree. I actually try to be humble in my actions, and caring with my words.

Sure I'm confident, and I can't deny that I absolutely love the attention I get as a performer. But its just out of good fun. I don't play because I want to show off anymore, I play because I just want to share what my good friends and I have created together.

Of course I'm not perfect and sometimes I just naturally react as my "old self" would have...but I'm working on it. And that right there gives me hope, because there was a time when I thought I knew it all. The fact that I question my old ways shows me that I'm heading down a better path, and I feel better about my life almost everyday. I would die happy knowing that I spent my life with my eyes and ears open to everything this world has to offer. And along the way I wish to inspire others to do the same.

Hope whoever read this is having an awesome night/early morning :)

Sent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 7
  2. #2 Nibbana, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    Hey brother, I know what you mean man!

I was a brat of a teenager haha I can truly say that, if I had met teenage me right now, I'd probs be like "Fuck off cunt" honestly. I was a little shit cunt.

I used to do drugs and boast about that, pretend I had mad connections... act like a tough cunt and get in stupid fights and I did stupid things for the attention, just an idiot in general. It was bloody ridiculous hahaha. I definitely don't regret it though, what can I say? It got the girls ;) HAHAHA just joking. Nah I don't regret it because it was all in the past mannn, it's gone and it ain't ever coming back. It's all gee hahaha.

I guess I can see how I became the way I did though. Pre sure most kids in high school nowadays are insecure in one way or another, it's just the norm now. Of course there are many causes for that, the media, culture, upbringing bla bla bla not gonna get into it. As a result of that kids are always trying to do things to boost their self esteem, which ends up as a compulsive game of one-upmanship among all their peers. Just an assumption of course.
    Either that or I'm thinking it's just our stupid monkey genes that make us want to be the alpha-male kind of thing?

But seriously I honestly have no idea.

School was not for me so I left. One of the best thing I've done in my life.

Anyways man, I hope you're having a great night or day over there too. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're all good buddy.

Have a good one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Did your ego cause you to write a thread about yourself?

• Like Like x 9
  4. Beat me to it.

5. Me to. I was a rotten kid. A spoiled entitleist.

My younger self discusts me

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Trick question. Everything anyone does is always about themselves

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 -13 Amp-, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    no thats what enlightened people that have experienced "ego-death" do...but they're also better than us while they do it

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Account_Banned283, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    ''I was cocky about how good I was in the past, but now I've realised the error of my ways, meaning that I'm now even better than I was before.''

• Like Like x 4
  9. How cute.

This is the philosophy section right? I decided to share an internal realization that I had about myself hoping to inspire a discussion.

Effy B , either you just write bullshit for the "like" factor or you just can't read. I clearly state that I know there are always people better than me, and I am far from perfect.

If we can't examine ourselves from within, how would we grow??

10. Sorry, J_intheMix, I was only teasing.

Self-reflection is incredibly valuable, and I commend you for doing so openly. I think an important part of that is being able to laugh at ourselves. It was all in good fun :smoke:

• Like Like x 2
  11. J_IntheMix, I clearly did not state that you stated that you were better then others, or that you are perfect, perhaps it's you that might not be able to read. But I don't care to be honest, your post seems arrogant and vain, and you actually described yourself as such within it, which is maybe why it seems that way.

12. K. Thanks for your input!!

13. And yours!!

14. OP I just came here to tell you that i'm better than you.

• Like Like x 1
    Instigator! 

OP-Lot's of people like to BS up in here... :smoking:

It's good you've made those realizations.....Are you getting to be mid-20's or near 30? I hear men at this age start maturing.....start.....

I kid...a little.        ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. \t“If you want to reach a state of bliss, then go beyond your ego and the internal dialogue. Make a decision to relinquish the need to control, the need to be approved, and the need to judge. Those are the three things the ego is doing all the time. It's very important to be aware of them every time they come up.”(Depak Chopra)

"I've always believed in numbers. In the equations & logics that lead to reason . But after a lifetime of such pursuit I  ask ,........what truly is logic. Who decides reason. 
    My quest has taken me to the physical, the metaphysical, the delusional & back & I have made the most important discovery of my life.
     It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logical reasons can be found. I'm only here today because of you. You are the only reason I am. You are all of my wisdom."

(A Beautiful Mind)

• Like Like x 2
  17. That's kind of bleak.. why do you think this? There's just as much good in humans as there is bad, selflessness is a real thing.. just not real often.

• Like Like x 1
    ..<sigh>

19. Ha. I'm 24. and yes I'm aware of the tendencies of the city, I've been around for years. I like the anonymity of an online forum so I changed my username a few times.

20.  Well, this life's about self-discovery and what you will do with those insights..and even what you will not do with those insights.    Recognizing the need for humility will get you way on down the road...

• Like Like x 1