I got some questions about religion

Discussion in 'General' started by Pass the dr0, Apr 6, 2012.

1. So since Easter is coming up my dad and I were arguing about whether god is real, and he was saying well the bible says all this happened and first off I'm not very informed about religion so I wad thinking can anyone actually prove anything in the bible actually happened? Can anyone actually prove any of the bible actually happened, I know there's the dead sea scrolls but those are just earliest forms of the bible right? From what I understand the bible is just one giant fairy tale... He was also trying to tell me that a dude chillin in the sky is more plausible than the big bang theory, I mean until someone shows me some physical evidence that god exists I don't believe shit.

2. Consider this thread... http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/772425-islam-do-you-dig.html

3. No, the Bible cannot be proven except historically. The supernatural claims of the Bible cannot, and will not, ever be proven.

That's where the whole "faith" thing comes in.

I'm a Jew, I accept the Old Testament as scripture, but I believe the large majority of it are tales the Israelites told to their children to try to make sense of the world. They didn't have the methods of science back then, so they worked with what they did have.

4. [quote name='"Pass the dr0"']So since Easter is coming up my dad and I were arguing about whether god is real, and he was saying well the bible says all this happened and first off I'm not very informed about religion so I wad thinking can anyone actually prove anything in the bible actually happened? Can anyone actually prove any of the bible actually happened, I know there's the dead sea scrolls but those are just earliest forms of the bible right? From what I understand the bible is just one giant fairy tale... He was also trying to tell me that a dude chillin in the sky is more plausible than the big bang theory, I mean until someone shows me some physical evidence that god exists I don't believe shit.[/quote]

Neither god nor big bang theory explains anything.. Just leads to more questions

5. That's what my dad was saying, the whole faith thing, I mean how can you have faith in something that no one can prove is even real?

6. [quote name='"Pass the dr0"']

That's what my dad was saying, the whole faith thing, I mean how can you have faith in something that no one can prove is even real?[/quote]

Look at the definition of the word "faith".

7. I don't know man. In that whole "faith" aspect, Judaism differs radically from Christianity. I've never understood it to be honest.

Then again, I come from a sect of Judaism that is mystical and psychological in nature. Mystical Judaism, called Kabbalah, is about exalting your life in the here and now. We don't care to think about what comes after this life, "heaven," because we don't see division in the world. Sure, we see Jew and gentile, but we don't see "saved" and "unsaved" like the Christians. Everybody is on equal footing no matter what.

I think, for the vast majority of Christians, the only reason they maintain "faith" is so that they'll be saved in the end. Why hope for something that has already happened, everyday, when you wake up?

A positive afterlife is a great motivation for people to do some strange things I suppose.

8. ^ good point

9. Don't come to internet forums for a balanced answer. The internet is basically a haven for atheist abortion loving paulbots.
    No offence I think ron Paul would be the best president we've had in recent years.
    So what I'm saying is read up on the subject on subject from unbiased sorces instead of asking these folks. They will twist their words so that you hear what they want you to.
    Don't let others decide what you believe
    JS

10. Here is a simple question to ask you dad.

Who wrote the bible?

If he says god, your father is clearly delusional and any religious discusion should be halted immediatly.

11. Im athiest and dont agree with abortions so please do not catogorize all athiest as abortion loveing paulbots.

12. I'm not attacking OP or anything but I don't understand how people follow a religion and their kids end up not knowing much about it.

In OP's case hes arguing with his dad about it, his dad obviously follows the religion soo why did he not inform OP more about his religion as he was growing up?

I grew up in a pretty religious islamic household (I'm not really following any religion now)

and I can give a speech about islam, I even have 6 chapters from the Quran memorized.

I just never understood how people don't understand their religion despite having parents that follow it.

13. Thats your average christian household. Go to church but it dont mean anythings being absorbed or understood.

You have an old boring ass man speaking in a monotone voice with spurts of monotone singing thats just all very dreary and depressing.

14. [quote name='"Meneks"']I'm not attacking OP or anything but I don't understand how people follow a religion and their kids end up not knowing much about it.

In OP's case hes arguing with his dad about it, his dad obviously follows the religion soo why did he not inform OP more about his religion as he was growing up?

I grew up in a pretty religious islamic household (I'm not really following any religion now)

and I can give a speech about islam, I even have 6 chapters from the Quran memorized.

I just never understood how people don't understand their religion despite having parents that follow it.[/quote]

Some people's parents choose not to force there children into something at a young age and would rather let there children decide as the time comes and there brains are expanding etc

15. Im telling my kid straight out that religion is a hoax and if anyone approaches you speaking of god to laugh and point in their face and walk away.

16. True..

But I ended up deciding regardless, even after growing up in an extreme islamic household.

I see it as them believing that, if you don't follow christianity, you are going to go to hell.
    They wouldn't view it as giving their kids a chance to choose, its more like them saving their kids from listening to satan and falling into the pits of hell?

17. Maybe in 2000 years, girls will worship the twilight series

18. [quote name='"porchy44"']Maybe in 2000 years, girls will worship the twilight series[/quote]

People are already forgetting those happened. Lol

Fuck that shit.

19. Religion was invented by man to help us come to terms with our own mortality.

20. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']Religion was invented by man to help us come to terms with our own mortality.[/quote]

But we've outgrown it.

People need to let go.

Fucking creatures of Habit we are.