I Got Scammed!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by garrison68, Oct 12, 2012.

1. #1 garrison68, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    I'm on my way to a hardware store last night, walking down the street, and an SUV with two guys stops. The driver has an Italian accent and asks me the way to the Belt Parkway, he says they've got to catch a flight out of Kennedy to Italy in a little while. I point him in the general direction, and he then tells me that he works for Armani, that he was in New York for a clothing show at the Javits Convention Center, he has some extra high-ticket jackets that would fit me, and I could have them because he'd rather not pay tax for them at the airport. He did a lot of other fast talking, gave me a business card and said to call him anytime I decided to come to Italy. The other guy isn't saying anything, I tried asking him something but he said he didn't speak English. So, the driver gets out of the vehicle and shows me some jackets in plastic bags, in the back seat and points out the logo and tag, which read "EA Collection Italy". He puts three of them in a shopping bag and hands them to me, then says that he needs to get an IPad, and that he's got another really good jacket worth two thousand bucks, but that he'll need three hundred bucks for all the merchandise. I knew something wasn't right about this, but the stuff looked pretty good and I told him I’d take one jacket for 40 bucks. This didn't go over very well, and he asked me again if I could get three hundred bucks from home. I declined again, so he asked for fifty, I said forty again, which he agreed to and I left with a black jacket that was supposed to be leather. When I got it home and took it out of the plastic bag it was in, it was fake leather which smelled like the center of the Chinese PVC Universe, lol. I tossed it in the garbage and went online to find out that this has been going on for several years, with apparently numerous people pulling it off, and some people getting ripped off for many hundreds of dollars, even a thousand. Of course, this has got to be a big operation, because one guy couldn't be in this many places. I also highly doubt that a single one of them is from Italy, but they somehow learned how to sound pretty convincing.

Here's a scam report on this, with many other similar victims' stories, many got taken for a lot more:

Scam Report - Italian Guy Giovanni, Emporior Armani, EA Collection leather Jackets Italian Guy Who Asks for direction to Lincoln Tunnels with New Jersey Plate Numbe

2. Son of a bitch...that's widescale.

3. Damn bro, you got hustled. Don't feel bad these guys were pro.

4. #4 chronicman00, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    im reading the comments that guy is everywhere lol

5. Wow that's crazy as hell, all the way to the UK too. Nuts. Those comments were insane!

6. For $40 though, don't trip. It isn't too bad at all. At least it wasn't that $300 like he asked for

7. How gullible are you ? Dude was selling straight wolf tickets. I would of told him to piss off.

8. Yeah, I'm not upset in fact it was a lesson learned - and I had over 200 bucks in my wallet so they only got a fraction of it. I've been approached by all kinds of scammers in the streets since I was young, ranging from the old Jamaican Switch (variations can be found on google), to guys who say that their car is broke down with their little daughter in it a few blocks away, and they need money for gas or to fix something - and I always call them on it. This scam is about the only one of it's type that I've ever fallen for - and it seems there's lots of others out there who have as well. It's an amazingly good routine, and would be very hard for the law to prosecute because like most con games it's your word against theirs.

9. Oh yeah man....just another variation on a long running scam.

I once had some guys in a van roll up in front of me as I was about to walk into an electronics store. I mean, they literally stopped betweeen me and the doors, and tried to sell me speakers "left over from a residential entertainment system installation job" at a "rock bottom bargain".

I walked right around the van while the dude was yelling his sales spiel, told him to fuck off and put a good size dent in his fender with my steel toe before walking inside.
    Not a doubt the speakers were either hot, gutted shells with bricks inside or shells with shitty intercom bolted in. They were pretty pissed about the fender though...haha.

10. not to be racist or anything (i love digging in asian chicks) (with my dick) but the asians are the ones who start this shit and then sell to the other people and it goes on and on and on

11. Good thing im always broke.

That and a keen sense when someone is bullshitting me.

12. why is it whenever some one is sucked its because
    the guys are pro...
    how does one live in a dilusional world like that
    where one rejects reality and substitute one's own?

\

13. Don't take offense to this OP, but if you'd inspect clothing before purchasing it at a friggin JC Penny, at least have the good sense to do the same when you're dealing with a random bastard with a sketchy story on the street.

14. honestly i dont even blame op cause on that site op posted millions of people commented saying they got scammed. but still id have more of a mind in the moment to refuse some shit like that

15. Man you just lost $40 that could of went towards an eighth...

16. They're very, very well trained - they don't come off like they're out to sell you something, they act very appreciative for directions, lead you to believe that you're helping them, and the next thing you know you're stuck with a plastic jacket, or several, and a reduction of your cash.

More stories from another site:

Italian-guy | Ripoff Report | Complaints Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported

17. i read the comments from ops link he gave and this shit is going down as we speak literally 5 minutes away from my house. swear to god! im actually glad I came across this post I definately know better than for getting taken for a ride by one of these bastards now. But everyone should inform anyone they know so then if this happens next time we know how to get that fucker and trap him. P.S I read all the comments on that link and this operation has gotten colossal

18. [quote name='"GodGaveUsWeed"']For $40 though, don't trip. It isn't too bad at all. At least it wasn't that $300 like he asked for[/quote]

This! You got something for $40 even if it was shitty..I think you should be proud that pro scammers just barely got you

19. Did you report this to the police? van make model and color? Detailed description of the men?