I got illegally searched

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ThePhantom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Back when I was in high school, they used to bring drug dogs in every month and would search cars, lockers, and students.
    One time, I got pulled out of class during an exam because the dogs indicated that my car was "hot". The principal and 2 cops pulled me out of the class in front of everyone and had me empty my pockets and searched my backpack and locker. There was nothing on me.
    They had me go outside, and told me that they were going to search my car. They already had the doors open, since I didn't lock it because it was a P.O.S '81 Chevy Citation hatchback that was worth about $300 and didn't even have a radio or horn. I told them I couldn't give them permission, because the title and insurance were in my parents' names. They said "well, it doesn't matter, it's on school property." They searched it, ripping into the dash and the seats, and the liner on the roof. They found: the leftovers of some shrimp curry balls that I had made for my 0 hour class that day and some 10-year-old cigarette ash in the ashtray.
    After the search, they let me go back to class, I walked into the office and asked to use the phone, called my parents and told them about the interrupted test, illegal searches, and destruction of the vehicle. My mother was at the school in 5 minutes, had the principal cornered in his office and you could hear her screaming at him all the way across the quad. LOL. The school paid for the damages, let me retake the test, and apologized to me. :p

2. If it were up to me, I would have left my car showing them my hands, roll up the window and lock the door. And really? Asking if you're terrorists, etc. man are police fucking retarded. Fuck the police.

3. Good luck man, I really hope you can get some justice on this. To the people complaining: yes it's a pretty small infraction of their power, but he is in a pretty good position to push the point and try to make something of their illegal stop/search. If people aren't willing to call cops on breaking the law in small ways, it just leads them to think they can break laws in bigger ways.

Police, as the ones entrusted with additional power, should be the ones held to the law the most strictly. Don't give up the fight, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the lawyer says and if you can get the dash cam audio/video.

4. never ever say you do any kind of drug, even if you are high at the time they cant prove shit.

its really cat-n-mouse type of shit with the police always baiting you into telling them something they can use to "rightfully" search you.

5. Too bad you didn't have anything illegal on you, this would have never of held up in court.

6. That's right, it would have been thrown out so fast. And if they had arrested me, I really would have been able to sue them really hard. But since they didn't, my lawyer said it's not worth pursuing civil damages.

HOWEVER! There is a very good chance I could press criminal charges against the officer, which I think is even better than the civil suit. It would be so cool to go to court, and be the one charging an officer with something, instead of the other way around. I never got my thing in the mail about this though so I'm calling internal affairs back again today.

7. #107 MaDKroniK, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010

Get a life dude, you seriously need one.

This was like 2 weeks ago and you're still going on about this. It wasn't even a big deal.

From personal experience bro you are wasting your time. They do not give 2 shits or a fuck about what you have to say. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off thier ass. Your lawyer told you the same thing. You have nothing. You will not obtain a dash cam. You will not obtain a confession. The only thing you will lose is all the MONEY and TIME you invested in something not worth the drama.

The cops probably won't even remember what the hell you're talking about. They deal with people like you on a daily basis. There is a way to handle disgruntled citizens.

8. I realize your talking to him not me, but constitutional rights really should be a big deal and the officers should be punished for violating his.

9. #109 NFloyd2357, Jul 12, 2010
    join the club - happened to me a few months ago and its all ending tomorrow, and should be off my record permanently...

my lawyer tried getting me off because of illegal search and seizure... but the cops always win. so i had to do 20 hours community service, which was me getting off easy - i was supposed to lose my license. never thought id say this, but, god bless the church - i went in for 4 hours comm service today and they gave me all 20... court tomorrow and all this bullshit should be over with

oh yeah, and after i got arrested after an illegal search and seizure for being pulled over for literally no reason... i was pulled over 6 times afterwards - each time they never had a reason and never gave me one... they would approach the car and say something like "why are your eyes red?" even if i hadnt smoked/had no red eyes... it was such b/s - i could never get the cops badge or name, theyd leave before anything was documented... they just wanted me to roll down my window and have a puff of smoke come out. fuckers

10. #110 MaDKroniK, Jul 12, 2010

He drove through the hood and even knew there was a chance he would be pulled over. He drove through an area that is known for drugs. He even says it in his OP.

Cops talked a little shit to him and patted him down. Apparently it's the end of the world. Any normal person would of blown this off as nothing because it isn't serious.

Cops do this on a daily basis. This is not out of the ordinary at all. I can think of a hundred situations that would be a violation of rights and this for sure isn't it.

I wouldn't bitch unless they slapped me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROn_9302UHg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROn_9302UHg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc[/ame]

Those are violation of rights. You don't even come close.

11. I would be doing exactly what you're doing, some cops really need to take a step back and realize that they are here to protect us not to go out and try to be super heroes...

12. Nobody is trying to say this is a Rodney King moment. Nobody is trying to say it's the end of the world. Yeah, we all know that the cops can do much, much worse than what happened to the OP.

It. Was. A. Violation. Of. The. OP's. Rights. It doesn't matter what you think is a violation of rights, because it was. It's clearly spelled out. The search was illegal.

It doesn't matter that nobody got in trouble. It doesn't matter that nobody was beaten, abused, tasered, or shot. The fact of the matter is that if we let the cops trample all over our rights, we're enabling them to search us whenever the fuck they want, to abuse people and get away with it, and to wipe their asses with the constitution.

Most people don't have the time or money or whatever and don't bother. But if somebody can get justice over even something like this, why the fuck shouldn't they?

And why, pray tell, do you have such a problem with the OP trying to get justice for what happened? It's not like you're the one devoting time and money into it. Really, I don't see what there is to get your panties in a bunch about.

13. Now that you've pointed out the OP's mistakes, let me point out your First mistake: Assuming that I don't have the right.

You are absolutely right in that cops have the right to search, anywhere, and for damn near any reason they feel is prudent or right at the time.

However, I also reserve the right to hire a lawyer or retain a public defender to accurately represent me and my Constitutionally protected Right to have every single piece of evidence this "officer" attempts to bring into the courtroom thrown out after an illegal search and seizure is performed.

If it is determined that it was an illegal stop, I also retain the right to embarrass the living shit out of this "officer", which I will feel no guilt or remorse in using such terms as "incompetent", "illegal" and "should have known this".

When an officer of the law wants to play hardball with my Rights and my way of life, you better fucking believe I'll come packing heat and prepared to defend myself. Just because a cop makes a decision doesn't mean it's the right(or legal) one. They're human too.

THIS, is why we have the Fourth Amendment, and this also explains why it's not "bullocks". It has nothing to do with decisions made on the streets, it has everything to do with how those decisions are finalized in a courtroom.

14. #114 MaDKroniK, Jul 12, 2010

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just telling him like it is. Yes, it was a minor violation of rights but coming from a family of cops and knowing how behind the scenes work, he is going to be wasting his time and buying himself a shit load of trouble.

If he does pursue this and nothing comes of it for him or the officer, do you not think the police will remember his name and fuck with him? It happens all the time. Your best bet is to keep your mouth shut.

It just amazes me that you people actually think that this is a serious issue. It's far from it.

You have to choose your battles wisely...

15. i live around baltimore as well and i find the "ghetto" interesting after watching all 5 seasons of The Wire. my friend has wanted to go to the city also and ive always hesitated in going because of the same fact that a car full of white teenagers (hes actually black) in the ghetto is bound to get pulled over.

16. #116 MaDKroniK, Jul 12, 2010

Won't help you when your car gets impounded for $1000 plus other fees not to mention what your going to have to pay for jail and court fees.

FYI, cops love court. They get paid 5 hours overtime whenever they are in court. Even if they are only there for 30 minutes. So in actuality you're paying the cop more money. At least here in Chicago they do.

Exactly but by that time you've already been fucked by the cops. You lose either way.

17. Bingo that gave her probable cause and her right to search you. Complainning isnt going to do much. and Yes Female cops ARE the worst... Sorry ladies

18. Unfortunately they can retroactively lie about it. My moms a lawyer and she sees the cases all the time. Who is the judge going to believe, you or the cop?

19. Actually no. In the US a cop does not have the right to search you, or your car without probable cause. Being white kids in a black neighborhood is not PC. They DO have the right to pat you down, and check anything that feels like a weapon. It's called a Terry search. Named after the man who won his case in the supreme court regarding circumstances not dissimilar to those the thread starter describes.

I've read the book, and it says the same thing.

JG

20. That depends a lot on who has the best evidence. Judges are not stupid. They know cops lie too. Judges, for the most part have been either defense attorneys, or prosecutors before they were judges.

JG