I got a light question !!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Stewie, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Sup Yall !!! :D

My plants r in growth stage and i am using 2 coolwhite fluros...

I am preparing an other set of fluros in an other room (locker) for theyr flowering stage....

I just got my hands on 2 fluros wich 1 of them is a 40W WS sylvania fluro and again an other coolwhite.....

Am I good with this or should i have 2 (kinda red) WS fluros 4 that stage ?!?!

Thx in advance !

2. no one is answering huh!!

maybe you should be a girl :p

3. Is something wrong with my question ???

Here's what it says:

Sylvania

GRO-LUX WS

F40/Gro/Ws 40W

4. HIGH All, sorry didn't see the post.

Taking from MedicalMarihuana

Types of Lights for Cannabis Growing - Different Marijuana Lighting Sources

Light for Plants

Without light, plants cannot grow. In the countries in which marijuana grows best, the sun is the source of light. The amount of light and the length of the growing season in these countries results in huge tree-like plants. In most parts of North America, however, the sun is not generally intense enough for long enough periods of time to produce the same size and quality of plants that grow with ease in Latin America and other tropical countries.

Sunshine is most intense at the equator where it is closest to the earth. Some of the largest, resin-coated buds in the world grow beneath this blazing sun. So what’s this got to do with indoor growing? Plenty. Light is one of the most basic needs of all plants and the most often mismanaged.

Even the most experienced growers forget about the basic needs of a plant, especially light.

The answer to the problem of lack of sun, especially in the winter months, shortness of the growing season, and other problems is to grow indoor under simulated conditions. The rule of thumb seems to be the more light, the better.

The common incandescent light bulb emits some of the frequencies of light the plant can use, but it also emits a high percentage of far red and infra-red light which cause the plant to concentrate its growth on the stem. This results in the plant stretching toward the light bulb until it becomes so tall and spindly that it just weakly topples over.

There are several brands of bulb type. One is the incandescent plant spot light which emits higher amounts of red and blue light than the common light bulb. It is an improvement, but has it drawbacks. it is hot, for example, and cannot be placed close to the plants.

Consequently, the plant has to stretch upwards again and is in danger of becoming elongated and falling over. The red bands of light seem to encourage stem growth which is not desirable in growing marijuana. The idea is to encourage foliage growth for obvious reasons.

Flourescent light tubes range in size from one to eight feet in length so you can set up a growing area almost anywhere. There are two types of flourescent lights; standard and the wide spectrum. They can be used in conjunction with one another, but the wide spectrum lights are not sufficient on their own. The wide spectrum lights were designed as a supplementary light source and are cheaper than the standard lights.

Wide spectrum lights emit the same bands of light as the standard but the standard emit higher concentrations of red and blue bands that the plants need to grow.

The wide spectrum lights also emit infra-red, the effect of which on stem growth we have already discussed. If you are planning to grow on a large scale, you might be interested to know that the regular flourescent lamps and fixtures, the type that are used in commercial lighting, work well when used along with the grow lights.

These commercial lights are called cool whites, and are the cheapest of the flourescent lights we have mentioned. They emit as much blue light as the standard grow lights and the blue light is what the plants use in foliage growth.

Found it easier to c/p than type in my own words..hope you don't mind.

I would go with one warm and one cool white.

5. Hows it...so you intend to use cfls through out your entire grow????

6. no he wants to go with 2 cool white for the growth

and a cool white and a ws for the flowering

7. Thx Noomy !!

AND Thx 2 u unoit.... and it was more then ok 2 c/p that text !!!

S i guess i just need 2 go get a coolwhite to go with my WS and im all set !!!

Now i just need 2 wait 2 see if there is a female among my plants.....

Thx yall !!!

Attached Files:

8. lets hope #2 is a female

i kinda like #2 =)

9. yeah... lets hope !!!

10. what im getting at is are you only going to use flouros????

11. unfortunately... yes !

12. should look into HPS for flowering....big diference in bud size...

13. its the damn ballast... its f'n expenssive !