I got a letter from wal-mart the other day

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by MotaVerde, Jul 5, 2011.

1. I opened an read it an it says that i was caught on camera stealing from them and they demand either $200 or me to return the item in 30 days or else they will press charges against me and possibly even report me to the police an get me arrested.

here is the crazy part. the wal-mart store i allegedly stole from is in alabama. i live almost 1,000 miles away from alabama and have never even drove thru alabama before.

FUCK WALMART!

2. its probably a scam

3. bizarre....you can just just fight it, if they dont have proof (aka you on camera) they cant charge you..

4. If you didnt do it, fight it. Its probably a mistake

5. im not even going to fight it. i dont have the finances or time for this shit. if they want a penny outta me they are going to have to kick down my door.

FUCK WALMART! using slave labor to produce everything while simultaniously treating there employees like dog shit an giving them minimum wage.

than they pull this shit, i literally shop at walmart a couple times every week and they accuse me of stealing from them in a state i have never even been to before.

FUCK WALMART im never shopping there again.

6. Ok, this is indeed strange...

I too think it's a scam.

Please - right now - call that Walmart and tell them about the letter. If they confirm it, that's a different story that probably won't get too far because you did indeed say you didn't do it.

7. not only have i never stolen from walmart before. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO ALABAMA IN MY LIFE!

8. Actually, I did a quick google search for you, OP, and it appears that this is a real thing.

Perhaps it's a classic mix up. Get a lawyer.

9. Also, how would walmart identify it as you? Do they have a database of everyone who lives in the USA?

10. How would they even be able to tell who you are, let alone track down where you live based on security camera footage? I agree with the 'fuck Wal-Mart' sentiment, but this is obviously a scam that has nothing to do with them. Or a mis-mailed letter, I guess.

11. Either someone has the same name as you or someone you know used your name when doing business with them.

Either way you shouldn't just ignore this, you need to get this straightened out. If you don't then one day it'll come back to bite you in the butt when you least expect it through credit or a warrant for your arrest or both.

Call Walmart, get this straighten out.

12. I would contact the branch in Alabama and notify them of the mixup.

From what I understand after a quick google search is that the pull this information from your ID after you are caught shoplifting. So, if that is the case, you may have a much bigger issue of someone in AL pretending to be you.
    Any lost credit cards, identity theft, suspicious activity on bank accounts lately?

13. Call them and find out what's going on.

And then start working on an alibi.

14. Walmart main corporate number
    479-273-4000
    They can transfer you to the legal dept.

Good luck!

15. Im gonna call bull shit on this, their distributing centers start off at $18.00 + an hr

16. lmfao return 200$? obviously a scam. if you weren't there they have no proof and it's a lying scammer..

17. #18 BadKittySmiles, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    It could be a scam, based on the way they do handle legitimate shoplifting... I found this.

Caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart, received letter today.

It would be easy enough for someone to send out dozens (or thousands) of replica notices, and request as the preferred method of payment. If enough letters are sent, a gullible and impulsive person or three may be wiring them money the next day.

I suppose what it really boils down to is the form of payment, and more importantly who they want you to send that payment to. If it's legitimate, then there are a few other things to consider.

Is there any chance someone may be posing as you, have you lost a wallet or any of your ID in the last five or so years? Whether you lost your wallet or not, illegal immigrants and people with 'iffy' or criminal backgrounds also often use forged, but pre-existing ID's and SSN's, so they can get into certain jobs and houses they otherwise may not qualify for.

They can go on using a persons identity for years if they don't get into any legal trouble.. usually the IRS figures it out via several years of discrepancies, before the victim.

And other times, identity theft goes hand in hand with other thievery, and (in the case of a good friend of mine) you only find out that you've had your identity stolen, when police and shop owners from various other states (and countries) start sending letters, saying you've been writing bad checks, and stealing glass chessboards from tobacconists.
    Needless to say, if it catches up to you at a bad time, it can be a real pain. It put a huge damper on her vacation when they locked down all her credit cards, and put a warrant out for her arrest.

According to this: I received a letter today claiming that my son who is 14 stole - JustAnswer , after the culprit is detained and questioned they often send requests for compensation, for goods that were left damaged or otherwise unaccounted for, and/or legal costs.

If I were you, I'd find out whether or not it's legit, then clear my name and have this sorted out ASAP.. before it sticks to your record in such a way, that prevents you from getting jobs, housing, or other opportunities in the future.

If something's actually going on, the sooner you catch it, the less messy the clean-up.

18. If he paid with a debit or credit card, they could check that.

19. Quoted for stupidest post I've ever seen.