I feel technologically behind... because I am a broke college student

Discussion in 'General' started by Bamboobam, Jan 14, 2014.

1. #1 Bamboobam, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Today was a really frustrating day for me. For one, I had my schedule set up perfectly for this semester... 4 classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It takes about 25-30 min. to commute to my college so that saves a lot of gas money. I am literally broke with about $150 and I am currently looking for another job with more hours. Through my college career, I was limited to working only a few hours a night which is why I set my days to only 3 days a week this time.

Anyway, I was in this class "Women and Gender Studies" that I was interested in since it's an elective and I thought "How bad could it be?" Today, we were supposed to start on Chapter 1 and you would think that we would interact with the teacher to get a better understanding of the material... but no this is what happened... Teacher starts off by separating everyone into groups and tells us that we have to "act" out certain ways of feminism... that we had to make a skit and perform it. Now, we only had 50 min. to do all of this. I still didn't have my book b/c I don't buy my books from the school itself b/c it's way too expensive... Instead, I buy them online from Chegg. Then, the teacher's like "You guys can just look at your phones to get more information about whatever topic we had to act out".... I was so lost and everyone else had a smartphone while I am sitting there with no book and a basic cell phone that calls and texts and that's it. I have a laptop that's a hand me down that has a fucked up keyboard but I still use it with a plugged in keyboard. I was so overwhelmed because I wasn't used to being stuck with a group of people "discussing things" since that was the format of the class. It felt way too informal to me. Also, there was a ton of people in the room and it was hard to hear anybody and I knew I couldn't deal with that all semester. I didn't like it at all and I just left the class and I felt horrible since I never walked out of a class like that before...

It really sucks because I go to a prestigious college and I come from a place where a lot of people couldn't make it where I am now. So, I sometimes feel out of place with the people I am around at times.... I know college is supposed to make me a better person in the long run, but I never felt so out of place as I was today and so stressed... :/ This is more of a rant than anything... Had no one else to really talk to about it and I always come to you guys :)

2. Sometimes the Library has check out laptops you can use for a few hours. :smoke:

3. I have my own laptop and no, my school does not have that.

4. #4 8ight, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014

That's really lame. I probably would have walked out of a class like that as well. If you're paying that much for a college education--in a building that is supposed to be full of resources and tutors--they shouldn't be turning you loose with what is essentially just a google search. That's actually kinda pathetic, IMO. 

Granted, I'm biased and dislike smart phones for my own personal, silly reasons. :)

5. #5 Bamboobam, Jan 14, 2014
    Exactly! That's how I felt when it happened. No one has ever done that in any of my other classes before. She wasn't doing anything the whole time either and just sitting around. I prefer engaging with the teacher in discussions instead of the class talking. After she said a lot of the class consisted of group discussions like that, I knew it wasn't right.

6. Well I can't imagine you would pay a lot of student loans to go to a good school like this, so I'm going assume you go to a shitty county college or junior college that is cheaper than a four year public or private school.

Just do as well as you can now which shouldn't be too hard because county college is like high school 2.0.
    If you have a phenomenal grade point average, participate in extra curriculum activities, and establish student teacher relationships so you can get recommendations from "college professors" you can get into a prestigious school with some scholarship money if you are a true standout.

7. join the club! I have a small Nokia cell phone to hit up the weedman and that's it.  :bongin:

8. my company bought me a Toshiba Qosmio laptop for christmas!

9. #9 Bamboobam, Jan 14, 2014
    No, I am actually at one of the best 4-year colleges in my state that is luckily not too far from my house. I said that in the last paragraph in my post.

10. College courses will put you in uncomfortable situations all the time and you just have to get through them and they will make you a better, well rounded person. Sorry man, but that is just a stupid elective and don't expect to be treated as if it were an upper division course or a tough math/chemistry course. I feel ya, but you just have to do whatever they saySent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I know, but I already dropped the class now and don't regret it one bit.

12. Gotta I.T. department?  Ask them, they always have spares that stack up. 

Should of known the rest just from the title of the class, that much estrogen running around a class room...It was bound to be a madhouse with all those women and no kitchen. :cool:

I gotta disagree here. How is teaching students to open their phones in class and use google making them better? 

I absolutely loathe bull shit elective classes--as well as some of the "required" courses--because they're just a fucking joke. I'm stuck taking (paying) for completely irrelevant classes which I get nothing out of whatsoever. They're not making me a better person; they're simply a waste of my time/money (I go to school part time and pay for it out of my own pocket). 

14. [quote name="8ight" post="19344613" timestamp="1389792249"]I gotta disagree here. How is teaching students to open their phones in class and use google making them better? I absolutely loathe bull shit elective classes--as well as some of the "required" courses--because they're just a fucking joke. I'm stuck taking (paying) for completely irrelevant classes which I get nothing out of whatsoever. They're not making me a better person; they're simply a waste of my time/money (I go to school part time and pay for it out of my own pocket). [/quote]You do realize we are both saying that electives are bs right? Electives in general don't have much to offer other than a little info on something you probably knew nothing about. As for searching with your phone, etc.. That's why I said don't expect to be treated like a real course... Bc electives a crap. We can agree that much. And bamboombam, good for you for dropping and not caring, looks like you made the right move. I'm just saying to you, and now 8ight... Electives are different, but when the going gets tough and uncomfortable in your core classes, don't just back out bc it's hard. Finish that shit out and you'll be a better person for it, even if you fail a couple along the way Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. The teacher is being lazy. She is breaking down the class into sub groups where she is observing everyone and breaking them down and figering everyone out. Well I take that back about her being lazy

I don't know, sometimes when teachers have a different way of doing things the class might be more interesting. Or the teacher may have her own personal agenda(who doesn't?) and she is going to force her views and be leafs onto y'all. She might be part of a greater plan to mold all of y'all college students into a certain way and to behave a certain way

But I would give her class a another chance and the next session might be run better. Maybe she weeding out all the not so serious people
    I would start looking for another backup class so if you do switch classes you will have a class already lined up
    Talk to the professor of the class you want to add, sometimes they can "pencile" you in

Goodluck

16. I think i found your problem.

I guess I just misinterpreted your post, because I read "College courses will put you in uncomfortable situations all the time and you just have to get through them and they will make you a better, well rounded person." as being reference to the OP's class (elective). 

So IMO forcing yourself through a class which is essentially useless and of no interest is not a way to better yourself, asides from getting a diploma. But I guess I'm looking at this on a more fundamental level, because I don't believe a job or education is what defines a person. 

But really, I'm just going off on my rant against the educational system. It really is pathetic, yet they essentially have us by the balls. And since the United States is basically a consumer economy at this point, all the people that would love working skilled labor jobs are being turned towards degrees since their line of work is getting shipped overseas. So the school's grip just gets tighter (notice how much tuition continues to rise).

I agree with this and it's the experience that matters more than the classes that I've taken in college honestly. Most jobs don't even are what your major is as long as you have experience.

19. #19 mariajonas, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    Hope college gets better for you! I start my second semester on Tuesday.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. There were actually a few guys in that class surprisingly.