I feel mislead on the Arizer Solo

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by DropZone, Jun 27, 2012.

1. So this is my first post here, but I felt like this had to be brought up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but this isn't my first vap. My first vaporizer was some POS from Ebay (sucked of course). Second was the Arizer ExtremeQ (loved it, but it did quit after about 8-10 months of heavy usage). Third was the magic flight box (loved it, not sure where I put it). Fourth was the No2 which I find to be okay, but my temperature gauge is messed up (bounces all over the place) and I don't think the charge is too hot. I also learned recently that I still prefer to smoke for whatever reason versus vaporizing, but I'm going to be living someplace where covering the smell is imperative and so vaporizing is definitely the best solution for me. Hence why I purchased the Arizer solo.

On to my point:

I read nothing but praise for this thing and I am having difficulty understanding *why* now that I have mine. I love the size and design, but this thing doesn't draw well at *all*. I read someone on these forums commenting that it was like drinking a milkshake versus a coke, but mine feels more like drinking ice cream. Mine did come with the new whip that has 4 holes, and even still it's nearly impossible. With no material in it I don't get much air, but with material in it it's just unusable. I can either try to draw hard and go red in the face / get a head ache, or I can take incredibly long slow pulls which is no fun at all either. The pulls take so long I feel like I'd need to smoke this thing for half an hour to burn up a single bowl. I do not understand why they made it so difficult for air to pass through this thing, and this is coming from someone that loved the magic flight box and thought the No2 was decent. Am I completely missing something here? I know it's not clogged, I just got this thing an hour ago.

2. Did you buy it from a pawn shop? I don't own a Solo myself, but I've never heard of anyone who does having problems like that. You might not be used to hitting it right yet.

3. I bought it from Amazon. I disassembled it out of frustration. Couldn't see anything obviously wrong, but I'm positive it's a legit Arizer. I can't imagine what I'd be doing to hit it wrong but if someone can give me some insight I'm definitely all ears. I want to like this thing, but right now I'm just pissed I blew all that money.

4. Hmmmmmm

I would hate for that to happen to me.

I wonder if maybe your holes just ended up smaller than they are supposed to be.

5. That's what I'm wondering also. Trying to figure out a way to widen them.

6. Poke bigger holes in the screen

7. the main problem is the oem stems they provide, these newer stems are wider at the bowl and that tight fit is the issue. it really makes for a stiff draw. planetvape sells the pvhes stems that fixes the draw problem.

or you can try doing this mod i did before the pvhes stems came out. i torch 1 side of the bowl then when hot enough i make a dimple in the stem.

[​IMG]

8. Thanks for this. I've been reading a lot that adding screens helps as well. I couldn't find the whips you mentioned on that site, so I'll probably try your mod in a few days.

9. [quote name='"DropZone"']Thanks for this. I've been reading a lot that adding screens helps as well. I couldn't find the whips you mentioned on that site, so I'll probably try your mod in a few days.[/quote]

If your stems only have 2 holes, grab a couple pvhes. If they have four, pull it out about a millimeter before you draw. Both those will make you love it.

10. I have the 4 holed stem and even pulling it out partially it's awful :\

11. I got the solo around last week, and i love it!

Do you think you might be packing the weed too tightly in the bowl? Try to grind your weed up as much as possible, and pack it loosely. Then when you toke it take a strong long slow steady hit. I use setting 4-5 for heat.

12. I've also found after its been on for like thirty secs with the bowl in it I shake the stem vertically and loosen the bud

13. #13 BlueHoo, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
    I've had my Solo for over a year. I was underwhelmed when I first got it. It came with the two hole stems. I got some four hole stems and it has made a huge difference. Another thing that helped was using grinded bud instead of a chunk of bud like was when i first got it. Now it's my go to vape.

I've never used a screen with it. Never had a problem with weed coming through the stem holes.

OP, have you contacted Arizer? I hear their customer service is good. Perhaps you got a lemon.

14. Wow, I've never heard of someone having a problem such as yours.

The only advice I could give is, when packing the bowl, sprinkle the herb in in layers. Fill it a third of the way, then tap the bowl gently til the herb is spread out and flat, then repeat until it is full. Never actually push it in with your fingers though. This should help out with the airflow hopefully.

15. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm waiting to get some screens before I contact Arizer about this. Hopefully it helps. I definitely prefer to grind the crap out of my weed when using vaporizers, but without a screen I have issues with stuff coming through even when using large pieces. Even using tiny amounts of bud at a time I get the suction issue. With no bud it is okay though, so I don't think it's necessarily defective. One thing is for sure, my no2 passes vapor significantly easier. On the bright side I just ordered a arizer Q tower. I owned the first tower they made but the fan quit. I loved that one and I hope this one is even better. I'll be especially happy if the bags fill faster.

16. I just got mine and have the same problem. it's not the stem or the packing of herb. I put my mouth directly on the element and can't get anything to come through the bowl it seems.

17. Look for a solution over on fuckcombustion.com

18. #18 Private Stalk, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
    Probably just going to be brave and mod it at whatever point that is restricting the airflow. Just need to run the batteries down now. I took it slightly apart already and it seems most of the issue is coming from either the metal bowl part or right under it. I can put bigger holes in it if needed no biggie.

I'm not too bummed as I WILL get this thing hittin like a champ!

EDIT: OK it hits like a champ but I feel like it takes some lung power that is for sure. It's not unusable by any means just not as easy as drawing on the eq.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/arizer-solo.3833/page-93

On this link ^^^ they show how to disassemble the solo... I hope that helps others!

19. I just did the airflow mod and while it's not as smooth as the EQ it's still way easier to hit that way. I'm not sure if I'll put larger holes in it or make do with the way it hits now.

20. Reverted the mod back because I was actually getting better hits previously and I think the restricted airflow is intentional as to help maintain temperatures.

A tip to people who are not use to the restricted airflow would be to pull up on the stem by just a hair when drawing in and just draw slow. I can get super choker massive hits off of it although it is not at enjoyable as the eq it is still a phenomenal vape.

Compared to EQ it lacks in the ease of draw, and the flavor department. I'm hoping the electronic flavor of the solo will wear off though.