I feel like I'm living to work tather than working to live

Discussion in 'General' started by didier12, Aug 8, 2012.

1. I'm 21 and when I look at my life I just think what is the fucking point? I'm not suicidal or anything I just think that life is generally pretty lame.

I go to the same place every day, to do the same task every day, with the same people everyday, while the same shit 10 songs get played every fucking day, it's the most repetitiously mundane cycle of pointlessness and I honestly don't know how to get out of it.

5 of every 7 days I'm at work, which makes me wonder am I actually working so I can live or am I just living to work. and if you hate work like me what is the point?

Anyway don't mean to sound like a downer guys, but when I look at my life from an outside perspective instead of being in my ignorant work daze I can't help but see the utter repititiousness of this boring cycle that's likely to not end till I die.

Edit: I fucked up the title of this thread lol

2. You just described life that's what it is. Wait till you get tied down by a woman too, it'll be even worse.

3. If you really think about it... we have no purpose of living but you work so you can do what you want when you retire i geuss? Idk i always think about that

4. Same exact thing here man, except in Massachusetts, US. Paying bills is no fucking fun. I do it for the people in my life right now, until I go back to school. Then I'm going to school for Philosophy/Psychology, so that I can become a therapist! My future motivates me to work, my friends keep me entertained while I'm at work, and I do what the fuck I want outside of work.

The point is to enjoy it man. Try doing something new; once you get too repetitive, nothing surprises you, your brain hardens (metaphorically) and it gradually becomes harder to feel positive emotions, even when new things come up. Variety is the spice of life, my friend. Take the top off that spice shaker (Idk, rice shaker, why not spice shaker? lmao) and dump it all over your fuckin' plate!

5. work is gay but thats life, You cant not work right? It aint fun being broke

6. I'm on disability and it's great not working..some people say you need to work to feel accomplished but it just doesn't seem like a good trade off to me

7. [quote name='"didier12"']I'm 21 and when I look at my life I just think what is the fucking point? I'm not suicidal or anything I just think that life is generally pretty lame.

I go to the same place every day, to do the same task every day, with the same people everyday, while the same shit 10 songs get played every fucking day, it's the most repetitiously mundane cycle of pointlessness and I honestly don't know how to get out of it.

5 of every 7 days I'm at work, which makes me wonder am I actually working so I can live or am I just living to work. and if you hate work like me what is the point?

Anyway don't mean to sound like a downer guys, but when I look at my life from an outside perspective instead of being in my ignorant work daze I can't help but see the utter repititiousness of this boring cycle that's likely to not end till I die.

Edit: I fucked up the title of this thread lol[/quote]
    Do what Peter gibbons did.

8. Yeah but when I retire I'll be like 65 with no energy, do I really wanna have my good times in life at that age? Also that is 44 yeara of work away lol

9. I feel like a pos if i dont work, def feel accomplished after work

10. What did that guy do?

11. i know, im not saying thats how it should be but thats basically how the system is set up unless you get lucky and win the lottery lol

12. Well you gots have sum derterminaminatioanmantion. Boi, you gots to have a goal to work towards t,o any hobbies that you want to be good at or do for a living? You must work towards it now, you don't wanna be having a mid-life crisis at 29.

13. #13 Deleted member 469440, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    Sounds like you work at Wal-mart haha

Yea life sucks sometimes man. Especially if you have a low paying job, then it's nearly impossible to live even a little comfortably. I worked out how much I'd make a year at my last job and it was roughly $10,500/year, can't really make a living on that when paying for a house, gas, insurance, ect..

The shitty thing is you have to work, someone has to pay the bills :/

Weed helps :D

14. Yeah the best 2 people in my life have moved countries in the last couple of months, so I don't really have great friends I can have a good time with now. The people I work with are both 40 and 62 and are argentinian and I spend most of my day politely fake laughing at there awful jokes.

I'm not too sure how to get variety in my life though, especially during work. I've been thinking about getting in to meditation and taking wilderness survival classes maybe I should stop thinking about them and just do it.

15. when you really think about it, our life is what we make of it... be it shitty, mediocre, or AMAZING. its a mindset:smoke:

16. How are old are? College could be great for you

17. [quote name='"TYRELHAHA"']
    I feel like a pos if i dont work, def feel accomplished after work[/quote]

I keep busy around the house and raising my kid so it's not like I don't have accomplishments..and I'm in college in hopes to get a good job when I do finally go back..when I did work I was always a good worker but pay is definitely my motivation and if it's crap pay it's just not worth it

18. Nah haha, I make themal blankets to go on pipes of mining trucks and boats etc. exciting stuff, it was the only job I could get though not really having any qualifications other than high school.

I'm not sure if weed does help though lol, I'm pretty sure using weed along with other psychedelics is what has made me see life from this perspective.

19. Welcome to life.

It'll crush your soul so much that you'll stop caring and it'll just become routine eventually :wave:

20. this is true, i think you took my comment as a negative thing but I was just trying to say in the overall scheme of things if we didnt have the luxuries we do in this day and age and we were in the middle of the woods our whole lives our existence would be solely primitive and have no distinct purpose. So basically where we get the question "Why are we here?"