I feel like a loner...

Discussion in 'General' started by Kenji12349, Feb 7, 2013.

1. So recently i transferred highschool ( im takin an extra year ) and its in the middle of the school year. At my old school everybody knew me and it was all great. But now at this school everybody is split up in cliques and they all hang out in the atrium. Nobody seems similar to me here and im not an awkward person or weird at all. I feel kinda lonely just kinda walkin around the school at my lunch time going outside when im super bored for a cigarette. But for some reason i dont feel bothered to make friends, like I dont give fuck almost but i just feel awkward of people lookin at me and judging me thinking that im a loser but in fact i dont care to have friends in that highschool. I am an introvert i know that for sure but i guess im just looking for some reassurance that i am normal. I haven't needed to make new friends from scratch in a very long time other than from work but that doesn't count.

2. You will expierience this exact feeling many times through your life. The way to get ahead of everyone your age is to figure out what makes these feelings happen and how to fight them. I understand you miss your friends and the social interaction of friends, but you as a person has not changed since your move. This is just a section of time that will make up who you will be. Keep your head up, you'll make good friends.

3. Also, try to teach yourself how to enjoy things by yourself. When I moved off to college, I was surrounded by people and always had things to do. So when I moved home after school, things were a lot slower so I had to learn how to accept some introversion.

4. its just when everybody is in a group in the atrium i wouldn't know how to approach them and wtf to say without them probably thinking wtf does this guy want and shit. when they have already kind of established their group and shit.

5. Try to find like minded people through the classes you take.

6. haha ill try ive only been at this school for 3 days, but yeah most of my classes since they're all university bound courses theres a lot of nerds and asians who cant speak english thats the thing :mad:

7. If you want to go to college, you must be more patient with everything, your surroundings, yourself, and your Asian classmates. That guy could be your boss in like 10 years.

8. Not just if you want to go to college, more of, if you want to go somewhere with your life and learn to be happy. Then relax and take things as they come. You will make friends, it hasn't even been a week. The feelings you are feeling are natural.

9. [quote name='"GOLA"']Not just if you want to go to college, more of, if you want to go somewhere with your life and learn to be happy. Then relax and take things as they come. You will make friends, it hasn't even been a week. The feelings you are feeling are natural.[/quote]

Thank u like normally i have no problems makin friends hell i even talk to strangers on the street but its just the matter of fact of being accepted into a group and seeming like ur forcing ur way into being their friends. Im just kinda tired of constantly walking around the school for an hour on my own and not eating because it just looks sad eating alone and i dont want to be pitied or anything.

10. You'll be fine.

Think like this. Today is x years into your life, well think back to who you were and where you were 5 years ago. Way less mature, think about everything you've learned and expirience in those five years. Then multiply that toward the future. Today is just a drop in the ocean mannnnnnnnn

11. Also, don't worry about what you look like to everyone else. Fuck high school, and fuck the stupid people who act like they are something they are not. No one has made anything of themselves or done anything worth even acknowledging.... No offense. So other students thoughts are irrelevant.

12. Fuck'em wait til college.

13. You should play this song[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPB1VNlfJgI"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPB1VNlfJgI[/ame]
    But really your never alone. noone is ever alone... when your feeling alone just look up to the sky and he will always be with you....oh and introverts are actually the cool people in highschool people just dont know how to approach you

14. [quote name='"GOLA"']Also, don't worry about what you look like to everyone else. Fuck high school, and fuck the stupid people who act like they are something they are not. No one has made anything of themselves or done anything worth even acknowledging.... No offense. So other students thoughts are irrelevant.[/quote]

All i gotta say is thank u my ***** made me feel 3 folds better and haha i can say theres one thing i accomplished in highschool. Got a job as a cook in a fine dine restaurants workin with chefs from culinary schools, had a passion for cooking people saw it and i got lucky and i get paid $5 over minimum while i was still in highschool. But thats about it lol

15. Right now, it's not about what you've accomplished. There will come a point when that will get measured. Most likely in a very quiet office with very official people sitting across from you. For now just enjoy as much as you can, learn to indulge and truly enjoy everything. Don't worry about where you measure up to with them. Just stay a good person, and stay yourself. Stick to what you know, and do what makes you happy and ticks, not what makes them happy.

16. #16 Cruizer, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    Eh it's not that hard. But the faster you do it, the better it'll look. By 'do it' I mean introduce yourself to a group where you'd like to have friends. Honesty is key here, people understand that you're new, but if you leave it too long you'll just look awkward and people won't want to be around you.

I'd literally go up to the first cool people I saw, say "Hey I'm <name>, figured I'd introduce myself since I'm new here and you guys seemed cool as hell." I'd go through names of people, "nice to meet you" and such. Trying to memorise their names as quickly as possible, that makes people like you when you put a little effort into meeting them.

I'd go on to say something along the lines of: "Alright sweet, memorised forever, what do you all do for fun around here?" Whatever they say (unless it's puppy killing) just act like it's chill as all hell and don't get too excited: "True, I'm down for whatever, just hanging out and all that."

Find your own style of speech though, I tend to just use words nobody would ever think of using - at random. I don't copy people, I just use words I think sound funny or cool. If someone says something about a word I used, I'll just go "Fuck you man, I use whatever words I want." This is always jokingly, and makes for a much more fluid conversation. Probably works a bit better in Australia since we don't all get pissed off about swearing.

Edit #2: Be aggressive about your opinions. Don't always go with the group, unless you agree. For example I remember when I was at my friend's house and we were talking about Adventure Time, at the time I hadn't seen it, and was a bit out of the loop. We got talking about the never ending story and I said in a very weaselly way, "Yeah I haven't seen that -since I was a kid-" it's true, but I said it in a defensive way and quietly and one of the guy's picked up on it (subconsciously I think) and said "since you were a kid? I'm <his age> and I watch more cartoons than ever." Everyone laughed and I felt embarrassed. But if I'd owned that and simply said factually, "YEAH! I haven't seen that show for years! I need to watch it again." it would have come off a hell of a lot smoother. My point is I could have said that phrase two different ways and have had two different responses, in the same way the guy (who's cool as shit) could have come off as a dick but instead I thought he was chill and cool, it was in the way he said it.

Find your own style and go with it, don't try to copy anyone. Go into stuff head-first and with enthusiasm, that's how you look cool and are able to make friends easily.

Actually I take my first statement back, it is hard at first, but that is literally the hardest point in the entire effort of becoming less introverted. I used to be that guy who'd need 10 drinks or so before I talked to people I didn't know with any semblance of confidence.

Now I'm the guy who will bring others into the conversation, introduce people around to each other and come off as the cool one. You just have to practise it. You will fail, you will look stupid and awkward at first, but push through and you'll come to a much better place.

Edit: Holy shit I wrote a lot.

17. same with me 9th grade), I had to adjust to high school life and I was a big loner. 10th grade), switched schools and I had people I hanged with, but still a loner. 11th grade), same school, but I was still a loner alot of people were just lame and acting to fit in, and didn't wanna talk to the loner kid that they saw for only 15 seconds in the hallway assuming he's weird because he doesn't walk around with a group. 12th grade), had to switch schools because I needed a year and a half worth of credits and I'm still a loner. see you just have to accept it, I've met a bunch of people, but I suck at keeping friends, so I don't really hang out with anyone alot.

one of my friends that I looked up to,(probably the realist kid I've ever known) said "I dont see people as friends, just associates", he was a loner, but still got around made associates, fucked alot of girls, now he ran off to texas with a girl he really liked, he was a chill dude..
    be honest though do you really even like being around people alot?, some people are just annoying as fuck.

18. If GOLA can't convince this guy what's good hes a lost cause!

19. #19 GOLA, Feb 7, 2013
    You guys should check out TED TALKS, there is one about a lady who talks about a natural balance between people who are introverts and extroverts. Its pretty cool.

20. #20 AsthmaticStoner, Feb 7, 2013
    Just go up and be like yo I'm ___ and I'm sortof new. Is this where everyone tends to hangout? And then go from there.

I was the same in highschool. Never talked to anyone (a few) but never hung out with anyone after school. I didn't care enough to make friends and I was fine with it. Although it did suck, I made it through (that's all I wanted to do)