I fear the HPS/ HELP!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pervy Sage, Jan 16, 2011.

1. :eek:

Blades, I currently grow in a grow tent with CFL's. While I have had some success, it makes me so jeleous (bud envy) to see the thick fat buds you HPS guys reel in. I can afford to run the HPS, I can afford to buy the HPS, but I am AFRAID of the damned HPS! Basically I am paranoid as hell that I am going to burn my house down. How safe are these things? Are the grow tents you see commonly on EBAY flame retardent? Anyone here ever have their hps start a fire? Any advice you guys can give me to soothe my nerves would be much appreciated. My house was givin to me when my grandparent's passed, so it means much more than just a house, If I ever did anything to destroy it, it would haunt me for life. I think maybe im destined for cfl/LED or outdoor unless I can change my mindstate.

Thanks for any relief you guys can give me!

P-Sage

2. They are safe,no need to worry. Ive never heard of anyone starting a fire from any size hps. I run 250w 24/7 and there is no sign or any heat damage at all.

3. Thanks for the quick reply, Cross! Anyone else want to chime in? I'd like to get multiple opinions on this if possible.

4. They wont get hot enough to start a fire. Its not the heat that will start a fire, its faulty wiring. You said you can afford it so if you buy a grow light fixture so you dont have to worry. May I suggest getting a HPS/MH convertible fixture with a cool tube. Use MH bulb for veg and HPS for flowering.

5. Thanks Bull, Yeah I was looking at a 250 watt with a cool tube.

6. One last bump before I let this one ride into the sunset.

7. Ive run a 400w for two complete cycles now and I havent had any problems, besides the ton of heat it produces.

8. I run a 400w Cooltube.. and I have never once been in fear of starting a fire. Get it dude... you'll love it :D

9. The HPS is your frieeend :D It's a light, it's meant to get hot.

10. Powerful lights are safe as long as you have the proper equipment to use them. Buy the proper ballast, buy a good air-cooled hood, and make sure no wires are exposed. Everything should be fine, and to ease your paranoia, get a few fire extinguishers and place them around your grow room/rooms near by.

You'll enjoy the growth rate difference just based on lights, and if it were very dangerous to have hps bulbs, you wouldn't see many GC kids on these forums. We'd be dead ;)

Stay safe and good luck fellow blade

11. I've run a 250 watt mh, a 400 watt hps and a 1000 watt hps over the years and never had a problem.

Like another member said, it's the wiring that would cause a fire and as long as you buy one ready to plug in and go, you should be just fine. ;)

You'll love the harvest once you take the plunge.

12. Also been running HID for a long time with no problems. They do get hot, but not that hot -- as long as you have some airspace around it and some ventilation you're fine.

Fire concerns are faulty wiring, overloading the circuit, something flammable touching the bulb, or if the lamp fell and the bulb smashed while on.

13. Thanks a ton for the well thought out responses guys! I think im gonna get one for the next go around. :hello::hello::hello:

14. They also make fire extinguishers that mount on the ceiling of your room that explode foam over a 4x4 or 6x6 depending how big you buy, it has a thermometer I believe inside that that when it reaches say 180 degrees it explodes and goes off,
    so no worries my man. Something every one needs for sure.. peace

15. QUIT being parnoid and get the damn HPS lamp! If money is not an issue get an inline fan, aircoolable hood, and some ducting. Therefore NOT EVEN heat will be a problem or should get u paranoid

16. Hey whats the best site to buy your equipment from? I have seen numerous websites with grow lights and stuff... any recommendations??

17. HID can save your harvest :cool:

18. Been running a 1000 watt MH/HPS set up for now my third indoor grow on an 18/6 veg light cycle and for flowering a 12/12 light cycle with no problems. If you set everything up properly and wired correctly then you should be fine but as a precaution I put a smoke detector in the grow room along with a fire exstinguisher outside the grow room door.

19. High Tech Garden Supply Good deals and customer service but not the cheapest prices on name brand items.
    Greners.com Same as HTG but more of a selection.
    IndoorGrowSource Cheapest place to buy Ballasts.
    Plantlighting Hydroponics- cheapest place to buy exhaust fans.
    Grow Green MI- If your on the east coast they have cheap shipping.

Those are the main sites I buy from.

• Like Like x 1

20. I Put all My money on IndoorGrowsource.com, check it out