I fail at quitting cigarettes.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Eyes:Closed, Oct 15, 2010.

1. So, I'm trying to quit cigarettes.
    & I hadn't had one since maybe a week ago?
    But I've been out of bud for about two weeks, and the last time I smoked was when my buddies smoked me out on Monday.
    I just had a cigarette, and I was halfway through when It started giving me a headache.
    I really hate cigarettes, but when I'm out of bud, that's all I have.
    I'm hoping on getting some green this weekend, and breaking the nasty habit of the cancer sticks.
    Anybody have any suggestions to how I can quit 100% even when I'm out of bud?
    & share your stories if your like me, and suck at quitting the horrid habit of cigs.
    :smoke:

2. i just relapsed myself. cut out cigarettes and alcohol for like 5 days:eek:

i just found myself stressed out and found a pack lying around so i hopped in the car and smoked a few listening to some music. it would be nice to stop smoking them altogether but it's hard going out to the bar and having a drink while all your friends have a drink and a smoke. it's hard not to bum one.

3. I'm not much of a drinker cause i'm freakishly skinny and an insane lightweight, so i tend to hurl alot.:mad:
    But yeah I know where you come from, a drink and a smoke can never go wrong.
    I'm just hoping to pick up some bud and have a niiiiiiiiice fat bowl and exhale while saying "Fucccccccck tobaccccccoooooooo":smoke:

4. When you feel sick after that initial one, spark another. Then maybe one after that for good measure. It's called aversion therapy, where basically you overindulge in something you previously enjoyed to the point where it becomes really uncomfortable. After nearly puking your brains from the nausea, you'll have a hard time looking at a cigarette again

5. dude.. that actually sounds like it could fucking work.
    i will definately keep that in mind when im feelin for some cancer.:hello:

6. Yeah, you learn some shit taking Psychology classes, lol.

7. i have a hard time quiting too but there is a time when you are like shit i need a cigarette and you think should i go buy ones?? no fuck no but then you end up buying them and wen you get out of the store you are like W T F?

glad i dont drink anymore
    4 months without alcohol i want to keep it that way forever

8. I will problably do some myself, man.
    im just frustrated cause i'm cleaning my pipe, and just looking at it wishing;
    "Why couldn't you just fill yourself with a magical bowl of some ssh?":devious:

9. good for you bro, that's insane, four months feel like a lifetime to me.

10. i dunno man, if i had a dollar for every time i said i'd stop drinking after overindulging myself i could afford another case of beer haha. it definitely works in the short term though, for booze anyway.

maybe you should see your doctor man? i know my mum tried to quit for over two decades, tried everything from patches to hypnosis, but after many relapses the only thing that worked was some prescription meds she went on for about 4 weeks. hasnt touched a stick since and has no desire to, and she was smoking mad packs a day for most of her life. she only quit about 5 years back. meh worth a thought man if you cant tough it out el natural. best of luck though. every time you feel like a smoke, put that cash aside for the green!

11. #11 TelevisedChaos, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    If it's at home that you usually get your cig cravings when you don't have weed, get a hookah pipe (very cheap on ebay for good ones, and they usually come with coals/herbal). The best thing about hookah/shisha is you can get flavored herbal mollases that dont contain tobacco, they taste great, and it's fun making big clouds :D

Flavoured Herbal Molasses - Online Shop

OT: I quit alcohol about a year ago, no withdrawal at all, it's disgusting. Weed all the way :D

12. it's not that terrible to the point where i need a doctor, haha.
    :eek:

13. I quit smoking and what worked for me was just cutting back. So literally, how ever many you smoke a day, take 2-3 off that every day. It's tough but i found that it worked well, at least compared to quitting cold turkey.

14. Two simple solutions...

#1: Smoke a joint every time you want a cig...you'll soon forget you want one, and probably won't be able to afford them anyway.

#2: Just don't buy the fuckers.

That's it, that's all you need.

15. I smoke like 3 or 4 a day and will continue to until I get into a better running routine. I drink alcohol sparingly and toke occasionally so I'm not that concerned. It's good that you do not enjoy the act that much, that's and will are good starts my friend.

16. I've quit five times. Ranging from 3 months to 7 months.

I'm smoking one as we speak though.

I do find it easier to quit if I have green on hand, but also I smoke a lot when I'm high if I'm just smoking normally.

Best quits I've had were taking Zyban. Second best was cold turkey. Never made it more than a few days on the patch.

Zyban or other similar drugs are really the best way to quit. But they, as anything, have side effects. In theory you only take the zyban for 1-2 months, and most people I've known who have taken it properly usually quit within 7-10 days of taking it.

Now, for relapse....that's the bitch part. You will have to attempt many times. There's a lot of tricky things that happen. Like 3 months goes by, and you're like "Yeah, I'm a non-smoker!!! Oh beer.....yum....ok maybe just one cigarette....I'm not addicted anymore!" And just like that, almost magically....you can start back up. Smoke 5-6 that night.....wake up, got one left over, smoke it.....and even though you were a non-smoker for 3 months.....suddenly you're going through ALL the withdrawls again.

Worst of all. When you smoke daily, cigs stop making you feel good, and start making you feel kinda crappy. If you quit for several months and start again, it's like smoking your first few cigarettes all over again. You forget the bad things. You forget waking up coughing, and how running half the block made you out of breath, and just like that.....1-2 good feeling cigarettes, leads to 3 or 4 or 40000.

The best thing you can do is REALLY research quitting. I haven't quit for good. I did quit several times for a few months though. So I'm basically pro at quitting....it's the relapse that kills me.

P.S. I said I didn't do well on patches, but they are easier than cold turkey....just with patches you eventually have to go OFF the patch and suffer withdrawal anyway. With Zyban, it psychologically makes you not enjoy cigarettes. So you smoke and it tastes crappy, and you're like...ugh...what am I doing..... Plus, you pop a pill every morning with the intention of quitting, it's a daily reminder.

P.P.S. Talk to a doctor about zyban. It's a pretty cheap prescription even if you don't have medical insurance. And all you have to do to get it is say "Doc, I want to quit smoking. I heard about Zyban. Can I try that?"

17. Or try Chantix, a newer med that helps you quit. I tried cold turkey, cutting doen and Zyban also called Welbutrin. It didn't work I could quit for a week or two and once for a month, but I'd always go back. I tried Chantix and it worked! You take it morning and night and the pills are all sorted for you by potency. You start oust on the least potent and work your way up. What it does is stop the nicotine from reaching your brain and the reward/pleasure center.

You cut back everyday be taking the pill WHILE you are still smoking. THEN you cut back or go cold turkey when there has been no nicotine going to your brain for a while. You keep conntinuing to take the medicine so if you break down and have a cig your brain doesn't get the nicotine. I quit for a year and a half and then started up. I smoked for 6 months and just quit again. I am determined to stay off them now.

18. I've known the gum to be pretty handy to knock of cravings...but I maintain the most important thing is to keep cigs out of your sight/reach.
    That and...I'm not sure if someone mentioned it before, but, the exercise thing?
    Not only will it help you pass some of the chemicals, but as well the more exhausted you make yourself, the less you'll ponder smoking.

19. I just picked up a pack after going 3 weeks with nothing, I was hoping i'd get some weed to help out, but no luck so far : /
    Good luck to you man, quitting cigs is tough.

20. I'm currently off the cigarettes. I just think about cancer, man. I really don't want to deal with that shit