I don't want full legalization of marijuana.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MedicalSativa, Apr 3, 2011.

1. I believe in legalization of medical marijuana for obvious reasons... some people just downright NEED it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love marijuana for recreation use. I definitely don't think anyone should be thrown in jail for owning a plant I'm down for decriminalization. Heck, I started off as a recreational user, and since medical marijuana is not legalized in my state, I am not legally recognized as a medical user anyway.

Here's my problem: Mainstream Marijuana & Big Companies

I don't want big greedy companies fucking up weed. Look what happened to tobacco and cigarettes? Some greedy S.O.B. comes down the line and distorts something beautiful for a quick buck. Do you really think tobacco and cigarettes really had 10,000+ or whatever ridiculous amount of chemicals in its smoke to begin with?

You already know marijuana is hard to regulate... You don't think the FDA won't push for it anyway for Recreational Use anyway? Weed hosed down with pesticides and other chemicals to "boost" the high?

Then you run it to problems with marketing, people trying to NAME BRAND weed and it's side products. Slap a label like R00R on a bong and suddenly it's value skyrockets compared to perhaps a small time glass blower who handcrafts a piece just as good but has to lower his price just to make ends meet?

Perhaps I am arguing the inevitable, perhaps I could have chosen a better title, perhaps I am contradicting myself, or perhaps I am just too fucking high, but this is what has been on my mind for quite sometime.

What do you think? Will big companies and the mainstream fuck up marijuana? Give me your opinions and ideas. Something to think about.

2. well if big name corporations try producing large scale quantities of marijuana and it isn't of good quality, people won't buy it.

If its legal i expect for many more people to begin growing it themselves and this would increase the amount of local high quality bud available.

If the big corps fuck up the legal weed, we can always grow our own, high potency shit, and there are little to no legal reprocussions.

I want legalization so i can grow my own legally, not so i can buy it in stores, like liquor stores today.

3. drinking is mainstream and i dont believe there are 10000 chenicals in that. of coarse companies will brand them but they will also be much cheaper than they are now. i mean as long as im getting high without having to worry about legal consequences, i could really give two shits

4. If you look back in history during the time of alcohol prohibition , Al capon didn't want the U.S. gov. to legalize it because then him and all the other bootleggers would be out of a job. Think about how much power the drug cartels will lose and how much street crime will decrease. Honestly, legalizing weed would do alot of good in the United States. Plus as previously stated, if corporations do fuck this up, we can just grow our own shit.

5. I don't see too many people growing tobacco in their backyards.

The weed would be so dank and yet fucked over with side effects, people would just stop giving a shit. I'm thinking waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line though.

Frankenweed that gets you black-out high in one hit, but gives you HIV/AIDS.

6. I can see ur point, but I think the fact that its relatively easy to grow our own, that would keep the Big Co. from getting too crazy. . .

7. Tobacco isn't profitable to be grown by the average us citizen.
    No profit incentive = no reason to grow it.

Cannabis costs 10 dollars a g roughly on the street, so it costs WAY more and it a lot more profitable to produce.

8. I suppose so, but lets say legalization only happens within medical terms.

And it was still illegal to grow the plant, but large pharmaceutical companies were mass producing it like so.

Then we(eed) would be fucked. :(

9. Alright, but with big companies selling the frankenweed it wouldn't be profitable to sell weed either. Who is going to buy organic weed when they can get dirt cheap dank ass mutated bud from the Man?

10. Decriminalization is stupid, you'd still have people getting arrested for a plant. It's full legalization or nothing.

11. omg not another of these threads. If it's legal you can just grow your own if the big companies start getting greedy or screwing up the mj.

12. #12 tuchaka, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    personally i would like to put the cartels out of the weed business think of the human rights angle people

not to mention all the non-violent criminals in jail on bullshit weed charges

13. Tobacco doesn't get you high now does it?

14. ...what the fuck are you talking about?

there will be organic brands of weed just like there are organic brands of food, because there's a significant amount of people who would prefer to buy organic weed. if it's legal, it will be heavily regulated. not only will it be cheap but you will know where it came from and exactly what's in it. why the fuck would anyone put aids in it?

15. Not sure if this is trolling or what? I read the part about AIDS and immediately though WTF???

16. Think of it this way:

By the time it fully legalizes, you'll be a bit older and wiser. Most likely had a few weed plants in the past and now have the ability to do so legally?

If weed is legal, I'll make my own despensary, even if it's just my house with the gigantic grow in every room.

17. if you read, hes not a troll...jesus christ haha
    i agree with you tho dude, i brought this point up a while back to some people on here, and was inevitably repulsed by everybody. anyway
    i believe you tho, i think everystate, or at least a huge majority can have medical marijuana at the least. decriminalization wont work.
    neither will full on legalization. i cant really predict any potential outcomes but i dont see any of them being in our favor. i mean, i really dont think its gonna happen in the first place. of course nobody should goto jail for buds but thats a whole nother issue rite there. but if marijuana was to take to the market by some idiots who probably dont give 2 shits about us or the weed(money), i see bad things happening. within society, and within our criminal systems.
    i see alot of people that wont go for it, and will do anything to keep potheads away. lots of lost jobs. but also lots of made jobs. but probably not enough to account for the loss since technology is advancing fast.(just one reason)
    but really.
    our country isnt in a state to legalize this shit full on. i dont see it working.
    but

for all you fucking haters, i wish it would work. i really fucking, would love for that happen belive me, but i just dont see it happening.
    be ma cents man, peace

18. #18 MedicalSativa, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Obviously the AIDS part was an over-exaggeration, but my point is there are too many factors in growing marijuana to regulate it to FDA standards without changing it in some way. No shit there will still be organic weed, but like most organic products it will be expensive and unable to compete with the government weed.

19. If you were trying to compete with the gov for the money. maybe. .but I think most of us would be happy to be able to supply our own, not about business. I'm sure the US would put restrictions on THC content and what can and cannot be added. . .much like alcohol is regulated as to how strong it can be. Then, idk maybe there would be higher allowances for medicinal. . .A lot of states still have state-run liquor stores, but the gov doesn't make the stuff. . .and I'm relatively sure that my Lager and Jack Daniels is still the same with no weird additives. . .so maybe thinking they'll alter MJ in some harmful way is a little far-fetched. . .

20. #20 MedicalSativa, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I don't think you understand how bloodthirsty these buisnesses are though. From their point of view, I can't even blame them; there is TONS of money to be made in the marijuana biz and TONS of ways of exploiting it. Being illegal had inadvertently protected marijuana from many of its potential economical abuses.

This is where I go back to my comparisons with the tobacco industry...