I dont think we're alone

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by OweKnowsBest_4.23, Aug 16, 2012.

1. That's a good heads up Neurosis, but maybe the same argument sticks around cause no one has shown it to be wrong...

I'll be perfectly happy to accept abiogensis once you can actually show it to be true.

It's like me saying the center of the sun is made of chocolate. It's fact because the sun is there. Even though no ones seen the center of the sun, I'm going to say it's fact that the center is chocolate because there is no evidence to show it is made of caramel.

Can you quote where I said this? I do not remember claiming that. I do not think it's a bad idea to search for God though.

2. That's my bad. I've been so caught up in this debate I forgot who said what.

I understand the argument you're trying to make, but I believe you're getting too caught up in what evidence is not there versus what is. I'm not going to tell you abiogenesis is the correct explanation for the origin of life, because I can't. However, I think you're being unreasonable disregarding the theory because not all of the evidence is there.

3. It sticks around because you will consistently reject any information, despite the overwhelming degree of support that it provides, because there might be a 'maybe' tucked in there. Essentially, your point of view will never be debunked because you rely on the fact that none of us were there to see evolution take place.

That does not excuse you from going through the exact same motions, hearing the same evidence and committing the same "I didn't see it lolz" routine. It just makes you a bit of a weirdo in my book. Whatever floats your boat, just a shame that newcomers fall into the trap.

4. I'm a weirdo because I don't believe in abiogenesis because there has been nothing to prove it's even possible...??

I can show you a hole in the ground that contains copper. Can you believe that? -copper naturally occurs in nature. Therefore that is proof nature can produce computers since all the elements required exist in nature.

Even though we only ever observe computers coming from intelligent entitys, it's fact that nature can design and engineer a computer all on it's own.

5. As opposed to a MYTHICAL creature that doesn't even exist within our realm? Ya that sounds realistic.

The real question is, what if our idea of god/supreme being/ higher power in fact came from extraterrestrial origin.

What we think god is. Powerful, not from earth, way more advanced than us.

What we think most aliens are. Powerful, not from earth, way more advanced than us.

Sounds like the same Damn thing if you ask me, except you can prove that space and planets exist, but you can't prove there's a heaven.

6. You're a weirdo because you seem to enjoy starting arguments on the basis that no one on earth can possibly give you an eye witness report of abiogenesis. The sound theory, model studies, and extensive support from current understanding of biological systems is irrelevant to you, apparently. Yet, you seem to derive enjoyment from having the concept explained to you over and over, while you multiquote the pages of information and respond with logical fallacies. I'm already hearing my first ridiculous analogies, and I see you've changed from a car being built to a computer.. nice to see you're at least mixing it up. I'm out.

7. So you don't believe nature randomly produces computers??

Why is that, you don't need like direct evidence of it or anything do you? Like trust me, there's a copper mine 3 miles from my house. If copper can come about naturally then obviously a computer can assemble, code and program itself all on it's own too right? It's a very sound theory, alot of people believe it. You must just be a weirdo do deny something that doesn't have evidence...

8. Just a question dishin, I may have missed the memo but do you hold any particular beliefs of your own or is your goal in life solely to question popular evidenced based science. If you wouldn't mind, I want to hear your particular beliefs straight from the proverbial horses mouth.

9. Heaven is space... we're all made of stars... when we die, we go back up there to shine :)

For sure we're not alone, who knows... maybe when we die here, we wake up immediately in a different life somewhere else...

10. You must be facetious. The Blind Watchmaker was published over 25 years ago.

11. Space is never ending... Of course were not alone.. I hope its in our life time when the gov makes it public... Or do i?

For all you people who think extraterrestrial doesnt exzsist, look up roswell, new mexico.. They found us already... We have to find them

12. #52 wtfjusthappened, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
    Rosewell was kept under such tight wraps bcs of the cold war, and we were testing a lot of high gread weapons and aircraft there. They couldn't let ANY of that get out to the russians. I do not believe roswell nm to hold an alien. All the ufo sightings were due to US planes, and the secrey and suspiscion was due to the cold war. The roswell incident was a complete hoax IMO.

That being said mathematically its highly improbable that were alone in this universe.

13. Ewww this again. If only I had my home recording of abiogenesis on me :rolleyes:

On topic, yes, there is at least a 99.9999999% chance that other life exists somewhere in our massive universe.

14. He is a Creationist. He is the type of creationist who twists the data and rely on holes that have yet to be figured out. Sometimes he seems to float to the idea that God created the universe and it randomly formed as it is now as part of his plan. He'll claim that he didn't believe in God before, how he was a smart atheist and did all kinds of research and it made him reach the conclusion that God is real. It's bullshit, he is the type of person who never really truly rejected God, probably that fear of eternal damnation that was never conquered. He'll start an argument and string people along and then use a lack of information to say "that is God". He believes that insects appeared with fully formed wings, that the Ginkgo tree has remained unchanged since it came about, that there is circular reasoning with fossil dating, that he isn't "special", and so on. I considered blocking him, but I actually have hope for him. The hardware seems to be ok, but the software needs an upgrade.

15. i never could get into that whole 'god made everything' stuff. even in church as a youth i was like fuck the bible right now why does the sunday school teacher always smell like pickles...true story.

16. K so I haven't read the other stuff on this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, however mathematically speaking if our theories on evolution and astrophysics are correct, their are at least 10 thousand other planets in our galaxy (never mind the rest of the universe) that should be able to contain life. I've also been told that the number is actually quite pessimistic and a lot of scientists theorize their is probably many more.

On a side note though, intelligent life, that is probably slightly more rarer. Rarer still would be civilizations that actually reach the stars, because most civilizations destroy themselves by that point, in fact we are getting close to that as well if we aren't to careful. Interesting stuff to think about though.

17. [quote name='"dishin reg"']

Well to be fair, what single shred of evidence is there in favor of the existence of aliens in comparison to god?[/quote]

Is that a serious question? LOL. Have you ever read anything?

18. [quote name='"dishin reg"']

So far we've shown ourselves it isn't possible, so I have no reason to believe it.

Is that so? I guess you're capable of showing me how an octopus and a trilobite are related then right? Or how a starfish and nautilus are related?

Yes, or arise from non-living materials.

You state that as if fact, yet here we are discussing the lack of evidence for abiogensis..

Who told you that and why'd you believe them? We have not gotten anywhere CLOSE to creating life from non-living matter.. We've been able to make single amino acids.. just a fraction of the whole. Watch this video and tell me if you expect something as such to just 'fall into place' then suddenly starts to operate and reproduce and find food.. all for no good reason at all..

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwnw4vg9I5Q[/quote]

Sometimes when I read this stuff I start to lose faith in humanity.

We aren't as smart as we think we are I guess...

19. -triple post-

20. -triple post-