I don't know what this is

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ktastik, Jun 19, 2008.

1. It has been really hot outside lately....I live in the desert, I am west of Palm springs in the inland empire. This is big shiva growing in vermiculite, perlite, peat moss, green sand, kelp meal, high phosphorous bat quano, and high nitrogen bat quano. I have feed it a little bit of high nitrogen bat quano during watering once every week. It has also recieved super thrive during transplants and tough days. The pictures make it look like the leaf has been consumed by some sort of creature. When you see the leaves in person though they are very discolored where the "bite marks appear to be. The leaves are fully intact.

Does anyone have any idea what could be responsible for such random markings?

Attached Files:

2. I can't help with the marks on the leaves, but I can say your soil looks to be on the hot side. I think you mixed up a little too much nutrient rich matter in your soil. Your plant looks over fertilized. I don't know how you would correct this other than changing the soil. I know this was not your question, but by seeing the pictures it looks like your plant is not too happy. May be some other people can chime in for a second opinion. I usually grow indoors and not out so I could be wrong.

Actually, now that I think of it, the one thing that might help your bug problem is if you hang a 'No Pest Strip' under the plant. They work wonders indoors, but I heard even outdoors they work well too. Just hang it off the bottom of the pot. The vapours will keep the bugs away. They are great a prevention method and usually can be purchased at 'Home Depot', 'Lowes', 'Canadian Tire' or similar for 14 bucks or so each. A little expensive but work great.

TGT

3. i changed the soil...vermiculite perlite and peat moss. no fertilizers. my ph is around 6.0. It was 108 degrees today. I have been giving the plant some shade during the middle of the day to help protect it a little bit.

Attached Files: