I dont know how to make friends..?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Viral Frog, Nov 19, 2013.

1. So I just moved to Washington state from Utah.
    Been here over a month now and I still only know one person.
    Made me realize that I have no idea how to make friends.
    All my friends back home I met through my brother, or through the friends I met through my brother.
    So I've been in this depressed funk since I got here.
    I'm still looking for work (well, I have a job lined up in January, but I still need a temp job until then), but even if i get a job, I don't like hanging out with coworkers.
    Quite the predicament I have here.
    Don't wanna move back to Utah, but I'm about ready to. :(

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Just got to go more places or functions and be more outgoing. Give it time its only been a month? Thats nothing..

3. Yeah give it time. Don't move back to utah and regret it. Just talk to people.. Ask if they smoke, break the ice, you got a friend. I think your overthinking it..

Oh and dont try TOO hard to make friends because youll end up with the wrong "friends".

Sent from my PC36100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. youve only been there a month jo.. give it time

5. Craigslist has a bunch of friends. Or you can go to the library and find smart friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Why did you move to Washington?  

7. Umm....Duh?
    😎

Seriously, though, your situation is still a lot better than having a bunch of friends and still feeling all lonely and depressed...

Go out to a bar and shoot some pool, you'll meet some people guaranteed. Volunteer somewhere and talk to other volunteers, at least you know they have similar interests that way.

8. Lol c'mon. The obvious can't be the ONLY reason.

9. 😄😆😂😭

10. How old are you OP?

There's always sport. You could join a local football team, running club etc.
    There's also public speaking events such as toastmasters. 

Also, you could use your colleagues as a gateway to meeting other people. 

11. Shit, I know how you feel man. I had to move from California to Washington last year. Luckily I moved during my senior year of highschool so I made some friends but they're all straight edge as fuck. Anyway best of luck to you op, and what part of Washington did you move to?

I'm a beast, panther.

12. Best tip I can possibly give is do NOT try too hard. Nothing pushes people away more effectively than being desperate. You should have known before moving it'd be like this for the first little while. Don't stress, be happy with being alone for a bit. Then go out and do shit you enjoy. I'm into comedy so I went to comedy clubs, open mic nights. I saw my uni had a 420 Club that met every Wednesday at 4:20pm so I just went into the circle and introduced myself. 

Be comfortable with not having plans some nights, just accepting that will keep you from being overly desperate. Aside from that, be more outgoing. Easier said than done, I know but it'll work over time :smoke:

13. Or you could use that one friend to make more friends through that friend. If that makes any sense

14. You're probably just really lame and boring to hang out with. It's not hard for normal ppl to make friends

15. Get a leather jacket

Says the guy dating his mom

17. #17 Viral Frog, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    [quote name="radelaide1" post="19009755" timestamp="1384856468"]How old are you OP?There's always sport. You could join a local football team, running club etc.There's also public speaking events such as toastmasters. Also, you could use your colleagues as a gateway to meeting other people.[/quote]22. I currently live in a small, middle of nowhere town a little south of Puyallup. My family (girlfriend, son, and I) moved here for medical reasons. Better children's hospital and better for asthmatics. But we're all feeling really homesick.Something my girlfriend told me inspired me to post this thread.Anywho, some really good ideas in here. Some so obvious that I can't believe that I didn't think of them.Thanks for the ideas, blades!I won't lie, though... I could really go for a bowl right now. Can't find that at the moment, either. :(I live in a place called Orting. About 15 minutes away from Puyallup. We're moving up closer to Seattle when I start work.Sent from my LG-LS970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Just get outside. Go for walks. Say hello to everybody. Socializing and building a social network requires a skill that is only learned through experience. Being shy or being socially unmotivated will set you back, and the more time you spend indoors alone, the more of a shell you create for yourself. It gets easier once you jump right back in, because once you get a one or two friends, that opens yourself up to their networks. Everybody knows at least one new potential friend for you, right? I started off in high school with two good friends, lost one of them, and then gained fifteen new ones the next year through just one guy I got to know.