I dare you to post a Universal Truth here.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, May 6, 2008.

1. Post one. I bet you someone can tell you they disagree.

2. marijuana is the essence of life.

3. if you NEED marijuana to enjoy your life, you probably dont enjoy it that much.

edit: just pointing out, this is one of my "universal truths"
    nobody has THE right answer, everyone's just looking for it and some are closer than others, but no one KNOWS who is actually closer because everyone thinks its themselves.

4. when the big bang happened every particle shot out in a predetermined path.

which means that using very intense mathematics, we can determine where all these particles went

which means that everything happens at a set rate/time because its all predetermined

which means there is no free will just the illusion of free will

5. the big bang never happened. your whole argument is void
    (lol dont take it personally i just really like this topic)

edit:
    www.big-bang-theory.com
    Big Bang Theory - The Only Plausible Theory?
    Is the standard Big Bang theory the only model consistent with these evidences? No, it's just the most popular one. Internationally renown Astrophysicist George F. R. Ellis explains: "People need to be aware that there is a range of models that could explain the observations….For instance, I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations….You can only exclude it on philosophical grounds. In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong in that. What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that."4

6. if you look hard enough for God in everything, you'll find it

7. If you look hard enough for Frodo, you'll find him in everything. ;)

8. Human beings are extremely flawed.

9. There is no such thing as a universal truth. There is no such thing as a paradox.

10. The Universe is conscious, from our perspective.

11. any syllogism works here

a is greater than b

b is greater than c

therefor, a is greater than c.

all men are mortal

socrates is a man

socrates is a mortal

notice, i'm not saying anything about what it means to be a man, mortal, or socrates? instead, i'm using the syllogism itself to prove the existence of universal truths in rhetoric.

12. We breathe air? Thats a universal truth right? Humans breathing air?

EDIT: Humans who have the abilities to breathe air (or oxygen, whichever suits your fancy) HAVE to breathe it to exist as a living human, which would make this an undeniable truth. And since we're the only known beings that breathe air/oxygen it would be a universal truth that we breathe air/oxygen.

Of course you all disagree with me and are going to refute it with silly arguments cause for some reason I am to be taken seriously, which is cool, but I figured I'd nip as much as I could in the butt before people decide to try and be overly technical.

13. Of course not! Come on, you can think a little more abstractly than that. ;):D

14. dead humans dont breath

some people breath on respirators or in space

this is a game you play in philosophy 101 lol

helps a man (or woman) learn to think

15. we kill to live. otherwise you die.

:D

16. There is no way science can explain all the intricate workings of the universe and the infinite possibilities that are out there.

17. Cold does not exist, it is but an absence of heat...

Darkness does not exist, it is but an absence of Light...

Evil does not exist, it is but an absence of Good.

TiCkEr

18. god is a metaphor for love.

and in order to be love, there has to be the abscence of love

hence evil

just like darkness is the abscence of light

cold is the abscence of heat.

19. Life is eternal.