I created a strain!

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Plex1, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Not that special huh?

What happened was I had three plants.

I ordered bubblelicous femenized, and got 2 Lambo Rambo for free.

One Lambo was a male. I took it out long before any sacks busted. The other lambo, I broke a large portion of the top off trying to do LST right before flower. I basically said ah fuck it and flipped to flower a day or two after that.

That plant ended up to be a hermie. I am almost positive it was from the breakage. I broke it right down to it's very first node and it was starting its fourth or fift set.

That hermie then pollinated my bubblelicious.

Does that mean I can call the plants that come from the seeds in the Bubblelicious plant "Bubblegum Lambo" or whatever I want?

Basically Lambo aka Rambo x Bubblelicious

2. No. you've made an S1 cross.

3. ...with a hermie, so be sure to incorporate the word "Hermie" into the name...

4. You don't think it was stressed into it?

The resulting seeds should be femenized from everything I've read. A predominately female hermie pollinated a totally separate female plant....

5. image-1400826873.jpg

Sounds about right...

6. It's Bob.

7. Sounds like it was, and that is exactly the point. If you stress a plant to hermie it is likely to have messed up chromosomes from that and will pass the trait on to its offspring.

If all you had to do was stress the hell out of a female to be able to create feminized seeds then everyone would do it. That's not how it's done...

8. #8 Plex1, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013

.........yes it is?

You can spray it with chemicals too, but that's the natural way to do it.....?

I have read from multiple sources that if you stress a predominately female plant into hermie, and let it pollinate a totally separate plant, that it creates mostly feminized offspring.

The seeds from the hermie itself are bound to hermie, but if it pollinates a SEPERATE, all-female plant, then the seeds are femenized.

9. The key word is "mostly". like how Ru Paul is mostly male.........

10. Well the plant was definitely MOSTLY female. No question about that. Got some decent buds off it but they had seeds out hte wazoo in em. I harvested early though before they matured. Im letting the separate non-hermie plant finish as usual

11. Well, the whole idea of strains is that certain qualities are reproducible, and recognizable from generation to generation. After you get your cross-bred seeds to interbreed and not show a tendancy to make lovely mongrel babies. . .

If you breed a beagle, for instance, with a golden retriever, you will get a generation that sort of looks like a beagle/retriever cross. Take that new generation (of course from separate litters) and breed them. You will NOT get a dog that looks like its parents. You'll get a far larger range of individual characteristics. Same thing with home grown plant genetic experiments.

Submitted for your approval,
    Tyg

12. So youre saying I should take the seeds from this, and then pollinate one of the plants again, and I will get rid of the hermie trait...(or significantly reduce it)??

Thanks for the replies guys. I did do some research but answers are always nice

13. You've moved beyond what I can be sure of, and onto more supposition, but I'll take a swing at it...

Genetics may play a part in whether a plant becomes a hermaphrodite, but to my understanding STRESS plays the major role. The plant is either M or F, but the flowers it produces may be both. Restated, a plant does not change its genetics; it can only change the genetics of its reproductive cells.

So don't worry about hermies. Grow out your cross-bred seeds, and evaluate the subsequent plants for the qualities you want: potency, growth habit, disease resistance, etc. Take copious clones and TRACK EACH PLANT by its history. When you find something you really like and want to make 'your own', treat a selection of plants with the chemical to encourage it to form male flowers. Collect the pollen, cross it with a diff plant that has female flowers. Take the seeds and grow them out to see if they have the right characteristics.

If you think this is too much work, I agree with you. I pay good money for those lovely genetically proven seeds, and though my 'old lady' plant is a sweet girl with beautiful characteristics, I put my efforts into trying to clone her, rather than make seed.

Submitted for your consideration,
    Tyg

14. you have likely produced a batch of herm seeds. being that your fem bubblelicous is probably a carrier of the trait and it was bred with a herm. you need a true female if you want to produce feminized seeds.

15. you haven't made a breed, you have crossed two breeds. you need to lock down some traits so they start coming out pretty uniform. this takes many generations

as one parent hermied up on you with minimal stress I would not use the seeds or you will end up pulling your hair out over the future crops that will be full of seed..... feminised seeds are a massive headach for breeders, I can't stand them

16. Plex, to make feminized pollen for breeding feminized seeds, breeders will stress select budsites, not the entire plant, and do so with time-tested hormones, chemicals, and light schedules. To say "if you stress a predominately female plant into hermie, and let it pollinate a totally separate plant, that it creates mostly feminized offspring" is over-simplifying, to the point that you get a different result. It's true that the seeds from a plant pollinated by pollen from a female stressed to hermie are, genetically, female. But they also are, genetically, screwed up from the process and most likely will pass on the hermie trait.

If it was that easy there wouldn't be a market for feminized seeds, everyone would just stress the hell out of a female, harvest pollen, and make their own.

17. making feminised seeds is as simple as that, but a good breeder will only select a plant that only hermies up with harsh conditions, and won't do it with mild stress. however there are many breeders out there's that do not care about quality and just want to make money quickly. I do not trust feminised seeds, nor do I see any point in them. they cost twice as much as regular so where is the advantage? I don't see the problem with pulling males and cloning your best female

18. ^Where is the advantage?

They cost twice as much but "regular" seeds will average 50% male, so on a per-female-seed basis the cost is the same. I actually buy them for less than twice as much, so I'm actually coming out ahead.

Finding out which of your seeds are male costs more money -- you need to grow them out, which means more pots, more soil, more ferts, bigger space, bigger light to cover the bigger area, bigger fan to exhaust that bigger area, higher electric bill, on and on. Oh, and in states that assess penalties based on number of plants you are increasing your potential legal risk.

I grow femmed and have never had a male or hermie from them.

Unless you are breeding, where's the disadvantage?