I can't decide what to do with my life

Discussion in 'General' started by Surfer36, Oct 18, 2012.

1. #21 aznno0odles, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
    me too im 20 wondering what im about to do the rest of my life but realistically you dont know where your gonna end up. or thats what people keep tellin me ."you will have multiple careers course changes etc." so u basically just need to choose up and stop thinking .

2. I'm 25, getting close to an associates degree, and still have no fucking clue what I want to do. I did the military thing for four years, but it really didn't help me focus on what I'd like to do in life. I'm broke as shit, working part time delivering pizzas while taking care of my baby girl, and trying to finish this degree up. It really sucks OP, but I'm right there with you. Unfortunately, I can't just "get up and leave" my girl and daughter (Well I could, but it won't happen :p ), so for right now I'm just trying to save some money so we can move back into an apartment or condo.

Really fucking frustrating. I'd love to get into a career in the videogame industry, but most jobs pay shit (and I can't program.) Who knows lol.

3. I was in your exact same shoes! In my case, I just woke up and realized that I wasn't doing this for ME anymore. I was also majoring in business, but marketing (bleh), and ALSO said I didn't want to work in a suit and sit in a cubicle my whole life.

So, even though it took a long time for family to understand, I quit...everything. I quit school, work, left my apartment, and hit the road. I took what money I had then traveled cross-country, and even though I was broke, even though I was hungry, I had the best time of my life! I saw so many things, people, places, all of it was so incredible.

Now three years later, I still can't exactly tell you what I want to do. All I know is I want to keep traveling, keep exploring, and living life! :smoking:

The point is, I'm doing what I feel like I need to do, whether people see it right or wrong, it's MY life. So if you want to go to school...great, if you want to move on...that's fine too, just make sure you're doing it for YOU. ;)

4. Neil deGrasse Tyson : "we spend the first year of a child's life teaching it to walk and and talk and the rest of its life to shut up and sit down".

I'm actually in the exact same position atm man. I'm a sophomore business major as well haha. I chose it due to the vagueness of what majoring in business entails but I entirely agree, I don't want to give up the opportunities in my life just to fulfill some depressing ritualistic career based lifestyle. My friend Ethan who didn't get the chance to get past his first year of college traveled out west and stayed traveling and meeting people and having the time of his life from last may-now and I'm intensely jealous. He's working as a "rose-weaver" which is a pretty interesting aspect of a job and he said he enjoys it and makes people smile everyday and he's the happiest person I know right now.

Just can't let fear from outside sources change your opinions on what YOU want to do. If it weren't for my parents, I have a feeling i'd be out west with my friend right now :)

5. #25 Old School Smoker, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012

Well you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
    shorter of breath and 1 day closer to death

i understand about indicision and i dont care if i get behind
    people livin in competition
    all i want is to have my peace of mind

6. If you want to live you nee to unchain yourself from the social conventions thrust upon you since you can remember. You need to find what drive you and makes you want to wake up in the morning and give the day a fair chance.

I went to college for numerous things, such as to study psychology, politics and Religion but at the end of the day I'm a musician. That's what I am in my heart of hearts but I figured I do need a back up. So I thought about it, took my time and one of my other hobbies is cooking. So I'm training to be a chef 2 years after all my friends started their lives and are now at university.

However, I don't mind. I'm on my own path and I'm happy. You can do it, don't worry about anything and make yourself proud.

7. you can start your own business...you wll pay more taxes, but you will be your own boss.....

8. I think 90% of the population is like this. I'm in school now, also a business major (accounting). I don't dislike it or anything, but sometimes I get irritated knowing even when I graduate in 4 years, there will be people who are practicing trades instead (plumbing,welding,mechanic) and making more than me with no degree.

I like accounting so far, but I really don't know if I will even pursue it after college, I'm not sure what I want to do yet. But I might as well get the degree, and then if I want to do something else I can, since you can do basically any business career with an accounting degree.

9. Open a barber shop. A black barber shop. No matter how bad the economy gets us black people are always going to be getting haircuts. You can choose whether or not you actually want to cut hair there or just manage it. Try and find some people you know that are barbers before hand. Once you do that make plans to open a shop. Charge about $150-$200 per month for booth rental if you are going to be cutting hair, if not you may need to charge a little more.

10. I am a junior. I literally feel EXACTLY how you do man. That's why after 3 years of messing with what should be (as you call it "settling") I decided to take a leap and move out of Iowa to Colorado and spend a few years glassblowing, working in the pot industry, enjoying nature, skiing, and pursuing everything I can until I find my passion. I will be enrolled in classes but won't be rushing my degree by any means. Once I find that I will settle for a corporate job if need be.

11. i deff agree